Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurb

billystar

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurb

Post by billystar » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Why spend £200+ when it's a pretty simple DIY job. I did mine the other day, here is all you need to know.

1. Preparation is key with all paint jobs. Your local paint shop will have everything you need. I spent £77 and I've got loads left for the next time I do it. Below is a picture of all you need.

1. A roll of masking tape
2. Wet and dry sandpaper. I used 180, and 400 grade.
3. Metal Etch Primer (Normal primers won't stick to bare metal).
4. Paint! I took my car to the paint shop and used their swatches to get the closest match. They made a spray can up then and there. My wheels are a satin finish, but if you have a gloss finish you will need clear lacquer as well.
5. A good mask. Paint fumes are toxic, this 3M mask is re-usable for 20 hours paint time.
6. Masking tape / film. The paint shop will sell this on a roll so you can easily protect your bodywork from overspray.
7. Chemical metal. For particularly bad scrapes you will need to build the surface of the wheel up with this. It is applied just like normal car body filler.

STEP 1
Clean your wheels. Get rid of all excess grime and dirt. Some people recommend a de-greaser but I didn't bother.

STEP 2
Do one side of your car at time. Take the 180 grit wet and dry and sand back the scuffs until you cannot feel them with your finger. If you have some bad chips in the alloy use the chemical metal to fill them at this stage. Better to build up the wheel than sand back so far that the wheel is mis-shaped. When you are happy the worst of the scuff has been removed by the 180 grit, switch to the 400 to get a smooth finish. Use wet and dry so you get a smooth contact between the paper and the wheel for the best finish. Here is a picture of my wheel at this stage. I hadn't masked the wheel at this point, I just took the photo later on in the process...

STEP 3
Masking. Use the masking tape to mask the edge of the wheel so that you don't over-spray onto the tyre. Mask all the way around, then switch to the film/tape so that you cover the bodywork around the wheel also. Don't forget to mask the wheel badges!

STEP 4
Etch primer. Spray etch primer around the edge of the wheel. I did 2 coats. Once dry, knock back with 400 grit VERY LIGHTLY so your final coat will have a smooth finish.

STEP 5
Top coat. Spray the top coat, a couple of coats and you are done. If your wheel is gloss then you need to spray clear lacquer after.

I spent a full day to do all four wheels. Good luck!

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

DIY Alloy Wheel Refurb

Post by ranski » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Great job and writeup

However, I'm not shy to DIY - but when you weigh up £70 for materials and a days work, I would rather pay the extra £130- £190 for someone else to do it. I guess this would include a base acid peel down to the alloy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: DIY Alloy Wheel Refurb

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Credit to you for doing it.
Refurbed my own wheels a few times, but can't think I'd ever do it on the car for the sake of 2 minutes to pull the wheels off and do the job without the need to mask and get to paint the inside too.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:13 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Credit to you for doing it.
Refurbed my own wheels a few times, but can't think I'd ever do it on the car for the sake of 2 minutes to pull the wheels off and do the job without the need to mask and get to paint the inside too.
x2. Good result but overspray on the discs, backing plate and callipers.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:50 pm

i refurbed the wheels for my other half beetle convert, its quite easy but time consuming. +1 on not on the car, but good effort!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

billystar

Post by billystar » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks for the kudos guys.

Good point on the over spray onto discs, calipers etc.. I'm replacing my discs next month and am doing the calipers red so I wasn't so fussed. Definitely worth putting a dust sheet over if you aren't!

I know what you mean about its not a great deal more to pay a professional but if you have a few small ones its good to DIY! :)

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:23 pm

billystar wrote:Thanks for the kudos guys.

Good point on the over spray onto discs, calipers etc.. I'm replacing my discs next month and am doing the calipers red so I wasn't so fussed. Definitely worth putting a dust sheet over if you aren't!

I know what you mean about its not a great deal more to pay a professional but if you have a few small ones its good to DIY! :)
If by 'small ones' you mean kids, then I can empathise, and I only have one... Gets you out the house for a few hours too, on the basis of saving money. However, to even get agreement to buy (or keep) the car in the first place must have taken heroic negotiation skills with your other half - good job :bow:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Ace work, would love to try that but mine are slightly chromed

alhattab

Post by alhattab » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Love your work .. thanks very much for the excellent write up :D
03 Z4 3.0 Roadster | Sport & Premium Packages | Nav | AUX | Wind Deflector | Grey with Black Roof & Interior

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Cant believe you sprayed them in situ.

I used a drill bit attachment to strip the paint off my 108's when i refurbed them.

But i do like that colour

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Great post revival & like the paint choice :thumbsup:
As for painting them on the car :o :cry:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

bandit12

Post by bandit12 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Good write up. Was thinking of doing my 108's myself.