Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How do replace a wing mirro glass

Chao

How do replace a wing mirro glass

Post by Chao » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:19 pm

I have a 2008 Z4 roster. My driver side wing mirro fell off when I close the door. Only the glass fall off and broken when it hit the ground. I was told by local dealer, the glass cost £94 plus VAT. I feel it is too expensive for just a glass. Could anyone tell me that how the glass is fitted? Is it just fitted by sticking on or need more mechanic works?
The prices are showing on ebay or other merchandise websites only 15-20 pounds, how come the dealer change so much more than that if no excessive labour involved?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks very mcuh!

Chao

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How do replace a wing mirro glass

Post by markeg » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:50 pm

ebay is your friend here - look for the Z4 wing mirror with heated (or non-heated) option; they are about £15 including postage. Some come with sticky pads, but I've used araldite in the past. Worked fine, lasted for at least 3 years (then I sold the car) - I expect its still on there.

Dealer prices are just obscene for a basic piece of galss.

Would love to see a 'newbie' post with pictures of your roadster?
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Exact same thing has happened to me today, except I pulled it off as it was hanging. How do you pop the holder out? I've got some sticky black silicone glue that will do the job but I need to take it off the car ideally as I've got a busy day tomorrow.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 pm

If the glass hasn't broken double side sticky tape will fix it OK.
2015 Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe 25th Anniversary Limited Edition (#0195), personal number plate
2005 Series 1 116i Sport, Titan silver, personal number plate

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 pm

The only thing is I've had another look and its actually a heated mirror and the heating pad has come away.

Ebay is my friend though. One question is the OEM mirror a flat mirror or convex/spherical mirror?
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Fri May 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Mark-Z4 wrote: One question is the OEM mirror a flat mirror or convex/spherical mirror?
Convex/Spherical. Replacement stick on glass is around a tenner including postage from wingmirrorman based in Bury. The heated pad is black and should be OK. No need to replace. BMW sell the complete unit for £115. :o

https://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/
2015 Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe 25th Anniversary Limited Edition (#0195), personal number plate

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Hmmm my heated pad is off also, I will have a go at fixing it tomorrow as I have some spray glue which I think could work.

I have also found the glass in the link you gave me just incase I need new glass.

Thanks for your help Lillywhite 8)

RLiu

Post by RLiu » Fri May 03, 2013 9:42 pm

What is with today my wing mirror glass also broke! when a friend slammed the door :headbang: Just the glass fell off. the plastic bracket and heated pads are still in place. £12 ebay. i have super glued the 4 pieces of glass together and temporarily glued it back in place. hopefully it will be an easy swap!
Z4c•57•Auto•Carbon Black•Piano Black interior•Sports Packages•Premium Packages•Comfort Pack•18” MV2 Style Alloys•BMW Pro SatNav•Bluetooth•Auto Air Con•Parking Distance Control•Automatic Lights/Wipers•Auto dim interior mirror.

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Fri May 03, 2013 9:47 pm

I think the glue dries out and gets brittle.

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Yea I think that's all it is, brittle glue.

a340driver

Post by a340driver » Fri May 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Same with mine (06). It was the near side and luckily fell off in the garage staying in 1 piece. "No More Nails" did the job nicely and the heater element works fine thankfully.

I guess it depends on how the failure occurs and if it takes the element with it when it drops off.

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Fixed mine yesterday. Spray glued in the centre (as its thin and i didnt know if it would stop the heater from being effective) and black silicone glue around the edge, worked perfect. Ill just have to keep an eye on passenger side.

BeemerMad

Post by BeemerMad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:26 am

My mirror fell out my drivers side today :headbang: on the motorway. Could see it wobbling opened window to push it on to hold out till the next junction but as i opened the window it fell off!!!! Grrr.
I have ordered a replacement off ebay already.
Question though please. I think the mirror has seperated off its black plate as i still have a black back plate in the holder itself. How easy is it to remove and put back on, any tips would be greatly appreciated

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 am

The black backing is the heated pad. All you need is a replacement piece of glass, a tenner or so off eBay. Wingmirrorman supplied mine.

BeemerMad

Post by BeemerMad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 am

Lillywhite wrote:The black backing is the heated pad. All you need is a replacement piece of glass, a tenner or so off eBay. Wingmirrorman supplied mine.
I have bought the whole replacement now. Is it easy to do the whole thing?