Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OEM custom LED wind deflector

chrisj900

Re: OEM custom LED wind deflector

Post by chrisj900 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:00 pm

PaulG wrote:
chrisj900 wrote:would that require 2 sets of LEDS. i was looking at the RGB colour changing strips as there aint much room. also is there a way to make the current system brighter????

That would depend on the LED strips you use. I have seen LED's that have 3 legs that either have a common + supply and you then connect one or other of the other legs to ground to get the 2 colours. If you connect both to ground you get a mix of the 2 colours. Alternatively, you would have a common ground and supply + voltage to one or other legs (or both) to get the different colours. There are also LED's where you apply voltage one way to get one colour and reverse the voltage to get the other colour.

As for making it brighter, only by using higher power LED's. They have a maximum current. Go over that current and it will drastically reduce the life of the LED or burn it out completely.
there could be something with the voltage idea. when i have the lights on it glows at half brightness then goes full brightness when i press the brakes which looks cool. if i did put in higher rated LEDS how would i increase the voltage from the current 12v
z4 roadster 2.5i, hardtop, stubby, black grills, Dice silverline, carbon badges, custom illuminated wind deflector, custom iphone dock

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:15 pm

chrisj900 wrote:there could be something with the voltage idea. when i have the lights on it glows at half brightness then goes full brightness when i press the brakes which looks cool. if i did put in higher rated LEDS how would i increase the voltage from the current 12v
Its is possible to step up the voltage, but its not easy and shouldn't be necessary. LED's in general don't need more than 2 - 5v. You just need to get higher brightness LED's. If you are stuck for space, have you looked at the flexible LED strips ? Something like http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-C ... rips-78784
03 Roadster 3.0L SMG - Now sadly gone and much missed.

chrisj900

Post by chrisj900 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:48 pm

thanks paulG i will give it a go at some point :thumbsup:
z4 roadster 2.5i, hardtop, stubby, black grills, Dice silverline, carbon badges, custom illuminated wind deflector, custom iphone dock

chrisj900

Post by chrisj900 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:10 pm

got some new day pics

mendesrik

Post by mendesrik » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:58 am

Where can I buy the 1 wind deflector fitting kit?

Not the part that is in the rollbar but the one in the glass.

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:53 pm

That's brilliant, lovely bit of DIY 8)
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Z4 Fetish

Post by Z4 Fetish » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Looks good but also looks like a lot of tedious work.I purchased my custom designed WindRestrictor from a company located in Texas. It is on my signature.
2008 Z4 3.Osi
Monaco Blue Metalic
Dream Red interior
License plate FETISH
WindRestrictor Windscreen

mendesrik

Post by mendesrik » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:06 am

This company have a site?

Enviado do meu HUAWEI G525-U00 através de Tapatalk

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:53 am

Looks awesome, more night time pics from further back please. Great colour choice too :thumbsup:

ncrossy1980

Post by ncrossy1980 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Old thread but came across this as its a quiet forum this one!
These look awesome, definitely on my possible to do list if I run out of things to spend money on! However a word of warning for anyone in the UK, it's illegal to display glowing green lights at the rear of the car whilst driving, or even the front for that matter. Only the red Amber & white colours can be displayed as per the brakes, indicators and reverse lamp. But still, these look awesome even not illuminated! Could be easy to go too far with it tho :roll: