Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

[HowTo] Front Bumper & Headlight Removal - Z4 E85

siewicz

Post by siewicz » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi everyone ! Let's go !

In this very first "how-to" (be kind about this), we'll talk about the following subject :

« There's condensation/water inside the headlights of my Z4. WHAAAAT am I supposed to dooo ?!? »

Or :
« Z4-E85 : Front Bumper Removal & Front Headlight Removal for dummies »

The Front Bumper Removal
Front Bumper Revival... em... removal

Because you need to remove the bumper to get to the headlights.

Before I start, I wish to thanks mister_roger for his DIY threat. It's the only help I found on the web... There's a very few informations on that topic (and on the DIY of your Z4... especialy in french :tumbleweed: ) : When you own a BMW, you're supposed to have enought money to take it to your BMW dealer ? Let's try to deny that !

So here's come my version !

Tools :
- Torx screwdriver
- 8 mm socket
- A thin screwdriver or a thin stick
- Idealy, a dude.

That's the result. Nothing to say. Let's get it done.

Firstable : The clips along the fenderwell. There's 4 on each side. These are specific holders. It works like screw-plug : you need to push with the thin screwdriver on the middle rod to get them out. The rod falls inside and you will get the rod back when the bumper will be removed.

NB. I got the idea of the tutorial after I took off the clips (that's why i don't have pictures of it). For more details, read the original topic ;).

Then remove the 7 screws under the bumper with the 8mm' socket.

Remove the 7 torx on the further side of the engine compartment. The bumper is insert next to the healight : it is not supposed to fall (make sure it's true before droping it).

Remove the red bar.

Unplug the bumper on each side.

On this step, the help of another personne is welcome to hold the bumper.

I didn't understand exactly the direction in which it was necessary to pull :headbang: . Globally, we try to take away the bumper besides, thus we pull towards the outside and foward. Alternate top and low, it could be necessary to force a little. If it did not comes, try something else.

For the records, mister_roger unpluged the bumber before removing the screws in the engine compartment. Maybe it's an other solution if you're alone to do the job... On our side, we didn't run the risk to pull it while it was still attached.

And Tadaaa !
:!: Keep in mind to protect your body car any time.

For the reassembling, you push toward the wheel. Same as before : You could force a little but not too much.
For the rest : All the previous steps backward !

You could use the first part of this "how-to" for many reasons : changing condenser A/C (air conditioning), radiator, fog lights, paint job or just looking under the bumper for fun :D.

Headlight removal

Damned condensation !

- Right headlight pics -

What fixing the headlight : 4 torx screws
- 2 below
- 1 on the hood side
- 1 on the external side

:!: Once you have removed all screws, the headlight is not held anymore : You may finish by the screws below.

NB. For the hood-side below screw, we needed a curved screwdriver : The space in front of the screw does not allow to use a classic screwdriver.

remove the backcover in the wheel's protective casing : Lower the red rod and take off the cover (already removed on the picture)

Your choice : You can do that before or after screw off the headlight.

Unplug the headlight : There's 2 plugs. The blue (on the médial side) is easy : you push on the side and you pull it. The red one (on the lateral side) possesses a rail which slides for unlock. You need to push on the side too to allow it sliding (you can use a little flat screwdriver to push on the side)

Scumbag water...Image

Drying operation with hair dryer. Not too hot. It's sooo long...

So, why this condensation is here ? We checked all the water drainage weepholes at the back and below, we noticed a little depression between the glass and the lightcase... too small to be sure that it is the reason. Sediments left suggest there's a water passage.

To fix/prevent that, we made the tour of the junction of the window with waterproof/outdoor-proof joint. A month and a few washing later, the headlight is still dry !!
Many people on the internet put their car beneath the sun and let it dry... I hope this may help them !

During the reassembly, you can also re-align the curve of the headlight with the wing's curve if this one moved. To be two persons is also helpful :thumbsup: .

Thanks for reading !
Hope our experience may help !

Siewicz :drinkwine:

Searching tags : Misted, steamed up, BMW, Z4, E85, E86, Frontbumper, Headlight, Parechoc, Phare, Bloc Optique, DIY, Démontage, Remove.

This is a first version... I will improve my grammar, my spelling and the layout

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Re: [HowTo] Front Bumper & Headlight Removal - Z4 E85

Post by andysat » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Good write-ups and pics :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Toe-side

Post by Toe-side » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Good one :thumbsup: . Thanks for taking the time to write it and photograph it. Planning to remove bumper and headlamps this winter.
Just for the hell of it :D
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

neilthomas

Post by neilthomas » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Really good write up mate!! :thumbsup:

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Great stuff and useful - thanks!

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:23 pm

Nice write up, it will come in very handy :thumbsup:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

MuzzahMack

Post by MuzzahMack » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks for this post. I've got a new set of headlights and changing the grills for a E85 we just bought.

This is really helpful

Muz

gedo

Post by gedo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:28 pm

MuzzahMack wrote:Thanks for this post. I've got a new set of headlights and changing the grills for a E85 we just bought.

This is really helpful

Muz
Murray, I've done this on mine and I'm local to you. If you're stuck give me a shout. Only tricky bit is messing with the tubes for the headlamp washers (if you've got these).

Ps. In case you think I'm some kind of weird stalker I've seen your Z4 posts on my wife's Facebook page (Gayle McGregor - Moira's sister) :thumbsup:

csoberbio

Post by csoberbio » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi, i need to know the number or name of that piece, my car was crashed and i can´t find it. Thanks
Hi, i need to know the number or name of that piece, my car was crashed and i can´t find it. Thanks
69526314Visduct.jpg (115.09 KiB) Viewed 14304 times

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:21 pm

2017-12-06_14-20-13.jpg
2017-12-06_14-20-13.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 14301 times

Mike

csoberbio

Post by csoberbio » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:21 pm

Mike
Ducklakeview i found this parts wit the OEM numbers you gave me but i think they`re not the same, or are they?
Attachments
69526314Visduct.jpg
69526314Visduct.jpg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 14290 times

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 pm

About £25 pounds each from my local dealer but a real pain to remove the old ones.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:27 pm

They are the correct part No's from Real OEM.

Mike

Z4me2

Post by Z4me2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:39 am

Thanks a ton - taking my bumper off today to rectify headlight washer leak - really helpful and most appreciated :D

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:41 am

Thank you OP!
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive