Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

108 Refurbishment and Customisation

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 108 Refurbishment and Customisation

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun May 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Sorry - out in Italy so not surfing much today :)
I sprayed them with 3 coats of 2 pack clear lacquer. Lasted 2 years, but last week refurbed again as they started to flake.

Went black powder coat inner and mirror chrome powder coat on the outer rims. Should be highly durable.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Wed May 23, 2012 8:10 pm

I've not had much luck with powder coating and the supposed high durability.

Yes it's tough and solid, but rather than chip or dint, it seems to tear. That apparent lack of cohesion between layers seem to also back up the fact that any damage like that has relatively quick propagation of the lifting of the material in that area.

The clear finish on the 108's is the issue full stop. It's smooth and so a good key is impossible, and multiple thick layers of paint are not present like on a multi-coat finish. Every wheel like that fails relatively quickly, it's not just 108's. It happens to Ford, BMW, Porsche, etc.

Personally I'd go with proper liquid paints. Powder does seem cheap for a reason to me.

If it was so good why do OEM's still use wet paint? Better looks and durability.

Why do after market refurbs use it? Because it's cheap and easy and looks ok.

Not meaning to offend anyone just I've been perpetually let down by the promises of powder quality and longevity. I've always been impressed by those doing proper wet paint reconditioning though, and seeing the wheels years later and they still look great is a great thing. Just the price! About 50% more than powder!

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Wed May 23, 2012 8:14 pm

For those looking for a clear laquer to apply DIY, there are special lacquers out there in DIY spray tins designed for covering polished metals (ie, a smooth surface that is hard to key to)

I've no idea how good it is though.

My 2p, if you do the polished rims either go clear 2 pack, or leave it paint-off. You could try the tins method but it could be not that great.

At least paint off you will get about 12 months and can just use a mop/soap to bring them back to brilliance in about an hour per wheel!

Or just cover them up like CJ has done this time :D

Or buy 107's for the ultimate Z4 wheel ;) :D

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

deka

Post by deka » Thu May 24, 2012 9:00 am

Mr Whippy wrote:For those looking for a clear laquer to apply DIY, there are special lacquers out there in DIY spray tins designed for covering polished metals (ie, a smooth surface that is hard to key

Dave

Dave do you know what this paint is, I have been doing a refurb and have been using rattle tin halfords hard lacquer but as with all lacquer it dulls the shiney bits a little
E89 2.5I Blue rubbish wheels
Gone But not forgotton. Z4 06 roadster 2.5 Midnight blue Hardtop black heated leather, stubby, phone kit, 108's PDC. ZHP

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu May 24, 2012 9:09 am

I'm sort of with Dave here in that all finishes are relative on 108's. The wheel is inherently a design that is both attractive with all sorts of vulnerable bits like polished lips and shiny inners, but constructed in 2 parts with deliberabte gaps and traps. corrosion just ensues.

Paint and lacquer will ALL come off in time. I'm sure powder coating will chip and delaminate, but I'm hoping this time with a well applied set of coats, siliconed gaps and wet painted stars the combo will last well.

What I can tell you is clear lacquers wont stand the test of time on the inner faces. Few owners will ever have the dedication to remove, clean, wax and protect every couple of weeks. It's not without good reason that BBS went to plastic coating the inners of rims on later batches...

For me I put up with it all as it's by far the best rim for a roadster Z4
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

deka

Post by deka » Thu May 24, 2012 9:20 am

cj have you used loctite when putting them back together, just wondering as if they need doing again in the future (as possible by reading this) will they pull apart ok with the wheels being alloy and the bolts sainless steel
E89 2.5I Blue rubbish wheels
Gone But not forgotton. Z4 06 roadster 2.5 Midnight blue Hardtop black heated leather, stubby, phone kit, 108's PDC. ZHP

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu May 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Sorry - much travelling this week. Thursday Sonia must be Paris.

Ok I'd always advise using a non setting locktite, but I've stopped now.

Stripped this set of wheels 4 times and want the bolts in and out quick. I do however torque them and check at 100 and then crack and retorque all at 500. Never had a loose bolt and never had one stick either.

Use good sharp tools and all will be cool to remove and refit.