Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

108 Refurbishment and Customisation

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 108 Refurbishment and Customisation

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:12 pm

srhutch wrote:CJ

I presume your car is not a Daily Driver. I'm just wondering about the winter with all the crap on the roads and the protection from the wax especially from the joint.

Have you considered silicone, I know we discussed it before.
The Zed is most certainly a daily driver and sees the road 6 out of 7 days from local runs to for instance a near 400 mile business trip on Tuesday. She has to earn her keep.

Having dismantled the 108's I now have a better feel for the structure and do not perceive the silicone to be a worthwhile idea as at would just make any subsequent break apart that much harder. My gamble is that a little wax each month will offer better protection that relying on lacquer that will certainly breach as soon as it gets a tap, scratch, set of tyres fitted, etc. and then give corrosion a perfect trap to work in.

Time will tell. For now I just sneak one of the 108's into the lounge to look at until I can get some 452's :rofl:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Well the project is finished!!! The Falken 452's arrived yesterday and had them fitted this morning, so a tantalising glimpse of the 'new' 108's finally on the car :)

I love the result and can't wait for this crap snow to move off so I can get out and about for some better shots when the car is clean and there is enough light to show them a bit better.

As an aside what a revelation the Falkens are. Only drove the mile from the fitter and on a mix of snow and ice, but it feels like a new car. No crashing and banging on the ///M suspension and felt so much smoother.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:15 pm

They do indeed look really good :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Frederik

Post by Frederik » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Kudos!

:hooters: :gmb:
2006 Monaco Blue Z4 2.5i
Oslo, Norway

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:21 pm

Looking great :thumbsup:
A suprisingly close finish to the paint colour. I can't believe you've had runflats this long :poke:

Will you be keeping the new alloys on for the Feb meet?
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

rich-v

Post by rich-v » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:16 pm

Lovely job there, mine need a full refurb as they look worse than yours did but as I lack a garage I'm going to have to employ a company to do the graft. Interesting point to leave the lacquer off for longevity though.
:thumbsup:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:36 pm

Hey Herminator - for sure they will be on for the meet. I only have the one set. My other set are already on their way to a new home.
Colour is a lot more mirror/chrome than today's grey snowy weather shows, but the fitters commented on the complement with the grey.

rich-v Depends where you are based but the Lichfield company that did the centres would be delighted to do some more 108's. He's currently working on a show version of what he did to my centres as he likes it a lot.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ZetaTre

Post by ZetaTre » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 am

CJ, let me be the PITA and point out that whoever installed the tires didn't do a PERFECT job... I'm a perfectionist, so forgive me: the yellow dot (or the red one, not sure which one) is supposed to be aligned with the stem valve to minimize weight addition on the tire when balancing... If you look on your tires they are mis-aligned...

If you take a look here toward the end you'll see what I'm talking about...

I love the hard top!!!

2003 Z4 2.5i
2004 X3 3.0i
2002 Ducati Monster S4

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 am

ZetaTre wrote:CJ, let me be the PITA and point out that whoever installed the tires didn't do a PERFECT job... I'm a perfectionist, so forgive me: the yellow dot (or the red one, not sure which one) is supposed to be aligned with the stem valve to minimize weight addition on the tire when balancing... If you look on your tires they are mis-aligned...

If you take a look here toward the end you'll see what I'm talking about...

I love the hard top!!!
Well it's a good observation and one that was taken into account. As you note the general rule is to align the yellow dot to the valve stem, however if there is a red too it is aligned to the weigh mark on the rim, thus putting the heavy and light spot of each together. On the inside of the rims we found a punched mark That is what my fitters have worked to. Looking at your reference article it does say the same if you read futher down:

What if both dots are present?
Generally speaking, if you get a tyre with both a red and a yellow dot on it, it should be mounted according to the red dot - ie. the uniformity mark should line up with the dimple on the wheel rim, and the yellow mark should be ignored.

OK so I have refurbished the rims too, stripped lacquer and removed the centres. They too have multiple layers of powder coat and paint, etc. so any original weighting would have been lost, but we tried. As a final point the tyre fitter I use removes and remounts any tyres that the system shows to be out of balance and see if he can get a better 'natural' balance. (Although local he is actually the specilaist tyre fitter for all exotic makes for a 50 mile radius and was at the time about to fit a set of Ferarri tyres and had a set of 22" Brabus 4x4 to do - no doubt a local drug Barons car..lol)

I too am a perfectionist :wink:

Thanks for the comment on the hardtop. I love it too and very practical given the current weather

ZetaTre

Post by ZetaTre » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:44 pm

LOL... To be honest, I was actually surprised you let something like that go by you... Now it makes sense

2003 Z4 2.5i
2004 X3 3.0i
2002 Ducati Monster S4

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:57 pm

CJ,

Did you experience many difficulties removing the bolts and separating the rims?

I've got 108s in need of a refurb, and after speaking to my local powdercoating guy he'll powdercoat the rims and centre bits - but only if I get them to him already separated. He's done similar Merc wheels before and says never again would he agree to separate wheels. Somewhat puts me off and make me wonder if it could become a PITA is I try it myself.

Bearing in mind my wheels/car are 4 years and 19k miles old.

I've got the luxury of time to do this as I can make do with using my van so I can take the Zed off the road to do this.

Cheers
Ally

P.S. I've decided I'd prefer powdercoating them rather than polish and relaquer - easier to look after to avoid a repeat of the corrosion, although not so quite a nice finish.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:12 pm

a11y wrote:CJ,

Did you experience many difficulties removing the bolts and separating the rims?

I've got 108s in need of a refurb, and after speaking to my local powdercoating guy he'll powdercoat the rims and centre bits - but only if I get them to him already separated. He's done similar Merc wheels before and says never again would he agree to separate wheels. Somewhat puts me off and make me wonder if it could become a PITA is I try it myself.

I've got the luxury of time to do this as I can make do with using my van so I can take the Zed off the road to do this.

Cheers
Ally

P.S. I've decided I'd prefer powdercoating them rather than polish and relaquer - easier to look after to avoid a repeat of the corrosion, although not so quite a nice finish.
Zero problems at all, but I purchased a brand new 12 point spline drive set with 2 8mm bits in. All 80 out :thumbsup: I am very careful how I undo bolts so 'feel' them rather than just hoping of the best (too many hourse spent fixing broken studs, sheared bolts etc.) Having cracked them loose I used the 2nd spline to spin them aout at speed. Once unbolted they are no more than a hnd tight fit.

I think you have to plan being off road a while if you have to remove tyres, strip down take to refurb, collect back and refit tyres and allow for a few delays.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 pm

I've got the luxury that I barely need the car for work - I cycle in most days, and have my VW T5 as a back up too - so I could easily do without the car for a few weeks at a time. Obviously miss driving it though :o but would be worth it.

The guy can remove/fit tyres too so I make take the opportunity and combine this job with fitting of Falkens...

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:21 pm

Damn, I just inspected my wheels properly and the corrosion on the inside isn't pretty. It's not that obvious unless you're looking for it, but it's there alright. No going back now: I've ordered my spline tools and a new torque wrench, refurbishment coming up :D

rob davey

Post by rob davey » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:24 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
a11y wrote:CJ,

Cheers
Ally

Zero problems at all, but I purchased a brand new 12 point spline drive set with 2 8mm bits in. All 80 out :thumbsup: I am very careful how I undo bolts so 'feel' them rather than just hoping of the best (too many hourse spent fixing broken studs, sheared bolts etc.) Having cracked them loose I used the 2nd spline to spin them aout at speed. Once unbolted they are no more than a hnd tight fit.

I think you have to plan being off road a while if you have to remove tyres, strip down take to refurb, collect back and refit tyres and allow for a few delays.
when i did mine i took them out with an air gun :D

cj10jeeper they look great
BMW Z4 2.0i SE Roadster (2006 / 06) Facelift, titanium silver, black 108s, stubbie, sports wheel & gear knob, leather seats & bum warmers, drivers side FAB, cup holders and aux input