Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting the OEM Carbon rear diffuser ('07 coupe)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Fitting the OEM Carbon rear diffuser ('07 coupe)

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Could be - I've not looked.

That said 9&10 look suspiciously like hex headed self tappers and their fixings. I'll know when I get around to pullin git to bits. Either way it's a 30 second job
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:36 pm

OK. A few pics that will hopefully give people an idea of what's involved in fitting the diffuser! Pictures don't do it justice to be honest! 8)

First the bumper cover has to come off. 3 plastic rivets in each wheel arch. Just pull the mandrills out of the centre (I used a thin flat blade screw driver to start them off). I didn't jack the car or take the wheels off to do this. Undo all bolts under the car. Then pull the top edges of the sides out as they are just held in by a support bracket. Then just pull the cover backwards releasing where the top of the bumper is trapped by another fixing bracket under the boot (trunk) lid. Easier to do if you have help. Pull back slightly once released as you will have to disconnect the number plate lamps wiring (pull connectors).

Pics of the cover removed:

Pics showing the support brackets for the bumper cover:

Next fix the supplied cutting and drilling template to the edge of the straight style line on the cover. The template is made of paper with an adhesive back. The template is positioned with the centre hole in line with the centre of the numberplate bolts. Take time to get this right as the "wings" on the diffuser follow the numberplate recesses slanting sides, and if not square, will look "odd".

Now the "no turning back, take a deep breath" bit!!! :o Drill the 5.5mm holes as per template BEFORE cutting the bumper out. The cover will be more solid!
Cut out the bumper!! Don't bother trying to cut around the template exactly to the curved tabs. Just cut it straight. I used a hand jigsaw I had with a fine blade. Cut easily. :thumbsup: NOTE: I did masking tape up the cover above the template just in case the jigsaw marked it. I used a drill to drill the corner radius's on the template before cutting.

Next loosely fit the diffuser to the cover with the centre bolt to check fit and adjust/cut more out if needed. I was amazed at how the diffuser fitted straight off. Even all the holes lined up without having to open out any holes!! Even the bumper sat centre!!
If happy, bolt the diffuser on using the bolts provided as per the instructions sequence. The 4 end bolts can be a bit tricky to get in!

NOTE: Use Loctite on the bolts as they come with plain nuts and washers only. BMW have done this because using lock-nuts on the bolts will chew the carbon when tightened as they are "captive" bolts in the carbon (squared locator under the bolt dome) and using spring washers on carbon can eventually cause cracking!

No photos of it fitted as I forgot to take them!! In too much rush to see it on the car!! :P

Fit the cover back on in reverse of taking off. making sure any panels under the battery box and the heat shield are sat inside the bumper cover!

Stand back and admire!! 8)

:)
Last edited by Breaker on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:41 pm

I sprayed up the metal bumper once the cover was off with some Hamerite black "smooth" spray because it was going slightly rusty on the welds!! :|
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:02 pm

Nice job Breaker and glad you took a lot of photos. It looks superb, but then I'm a little biased... :)

BTW - can you imagine getting that cutting template in the right place if you didn't have the crease line to follow??
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Topshelf

Post by Topshelf » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Nice job Breaker. Looks Great! :thumbsup: Could you do me a favor and take a pic from about 15 feet away? Trying to get a better idea of overall balance. So how long did the whole project take? Any issues putting the bumper back on?

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:40 pm

I reckon about 2 hours with interruptions! :P

No issues with replacing the bumper cover. I'll get a pic tomorrow sometime. :thumbsup:

I was parked near an '07 roadster today and the difference in the look of the rear with and without the diffuser is quite striking! Gives the car more of a Ferrari look, if you know what I mean! 8)

One sour end to this was today I parked up at a shopping centre. Parked miles away from anyone else in an end spot. When I came back some "chav" girl (I could tell from the closely moved seat position and the plethora of pink stuff hanging from the rear view mirror and various girly stuff on the back seat!) had parked right next to my Z4, on an angle, close enough to the passenger side door make me having to reverse out to let the girlfriend in!! Why she parked so close I will never know as the next 2 spaces were empty and she just made it hard for herself to get out!!! Well, you guessed it, a small door dink in my passenger door now!!! :headbang: Even had the mark of rubber from her rub strip on the door! No paint damage, and you can only see it looking from behind in direct light, but it is still there!!!

Why are some people so brainless and have no respect for their or anyone else's property!! Her car was a small Peugeot with quite a few dinks and scrapes on it!! Well, in a fit of rage, it now has 2 knuckle prints to add to them (not clever but I was livid and my car hasn't a mark on it till now!!)!!

I'll have a trip to the dealer to get it smart repaired, but I will probably forget it's there by the end of the week!
Last edited by Breaker on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Nice write-up too :thumbsup:
Breaker wrote:Why are some people so brainless and have no respect...
They're just brain donors who think that parking next to a nice car will make theirs less susceptible to theft or vandalism, it happens to me all the time, no matter where I park.

:headbang:

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:01 pm

How much is the carbon diffuser? Where did you buy it from? I tried to find it from google, but no results.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

It's an OEM add-on part from your BMW dealer. It's part of the aero kit. It's not cheap!! Carbon fibre + OEM never will be!!
Last edited by Breaker on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

It comes from BMW, it is an OEM accessory http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 70#p142770
Breaker wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:OK so more questions ...lol

Diffuser is about £280, but I got 25% off so not too bad.
Ordered my diffuser this afternoon. On the dealers computer it costs £340 inc VAT!!!! :o I managed to get him down to £280 then down a bit more so I ordered it. But, £340 is the listed price on the BMW spares computer!!

Should be here next Wednesday so I may have a project next weekend. :thumbsup: Got to figure out how to get the rear bumper cover off now!! Looking at it this afternoon I think it could be cut on the car! Have to have a good check tomorrow.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:44 pm

Breaker wrote: but I will probably forget it's there by the end of the week!
No - you won't as I will remind you ... :evil:

That was pretty good going to get that fitted in 2 hours though.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:45 pm

Topshelf wrote:Nice job Breaker. Looks Great! :thumbsup: Could you do me a favor and take a pic from about 15 feet away? Trying to get a better idea of overall balance.
Before and after pics if that's any use. Both look good, depends what look you want. Diffuser looks more "race car". :)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:40 am

pvr wrote:
Breaker wrote: but I will probably forget it's there by the end of the week!
No - you won't as I will remind you ... :evil:
I know your right! :wink:

z200

Post by z200 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:34 am

i am seeing an acrapovich there right i hope would be an italian bike :D :D :D :D

z200

Post by z200 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:59 am

part number is?????????