Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Am I just being paranoid?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
oz-boz

Am I just being paranoid?

Post by oz-boz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:47 pm

I noticed today that I can hear the clutch engage the dmf when letting out the clutch peddle... Nothing too loud, just a little metallic clonk.
Is this normal or am I just being paranoid?

I guess part of my worry is the previous owner shredded the clutch at some point but only replaced the clutch & not the dmf.

I've noticed under hard acceleration when changing up a gear there is a short squeal from the clutch area.
Other than that she pulls like a train and not noticed any slippin?

Thanks for any advice...

stlymch

Re: Am I just being paranoid?

Post by stlymch » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:21 pm

Still got the CDV in place?

oz-boz

Post by oz-boz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:27 pm

Nope, cdv removed by previous owner...

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:35 pm

How many miles?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

oz-boz

Post by oz-boz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:47 pm

145000 miles.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Wow -its done well then!
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

stlymch

Post by stlymch » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:00 pm

Probably deserves a new DMF if its been driven hard for any length of time with the CDV removed. My friend took his out of a 3-series and was over the moon that he could drop the clutch and do "proper skids" in his words, his DMF didn't last much past a year.

oz-boz

Post by oz-boz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:06 pm

Yeah, it's in great condition. 146'000 isnt high in my books, not for a 3.0se anyways.
80'000 of those miles were put on in the first 3 years.

Can't complain on the body work & like I say the engine pulls like a train still. I got it for a bargain to be fair.
I just had the gearbox and diff oil changed, as well as the engine oil, spark plugs, new suspension, drop links, lollipops, new breather pipes & ccv done. Idle control cleaned, coolant flush, and the dme updated to the latest software. Can't fault anything with the car.
Just worried about the clutch noise, not sure if it's normal?? Was hoping someone could set me straight before I spend out on new dmf & clutch... It's a manual btw

oz-boz

Post by oz-boz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:08 pm

stlymch wrote:Probably deserves a new DMF if its been driven hard for any length of time with the CDV removed. My friend took his out of a 3-series and was over the moon that he could drop the clutch and do "proper skids" in his words, his DMF didn't last much past a year.

Would a dmf from 3 series fit the z4?
Wondering it would be cheaper than the £380 I've been looking at?

stlymch

Post by stlymch » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:09 pm

oz-boz wrote:Yeah, it's in great condition. 146'000 isnt high in my books, not for a 3.0se anyways.
80'000 of those miles were put on in the first 3 years.

Can't complain on the body work & like I say the engine pulls like a train still. I got it for a bargain to be fair.
I just had the gearbox and diff oil changed, as well as the engine oil, spark plugs, new suspension, drop links, lollipops, new breather pipes & ccv done. Idle control cleaned, coolant flush, and the dme updated to the latest software. Can't fault anything with the car.
Just worried about the clutch noise, not sure if it's normal?? Was hoping someone could set me straight before I spend out on new dmf & clutch... It's a manual btw
I wouldn't go rushing to put a new DMF & clutch in, just put up with it until it gets worse and you can pinpoint the problem. I guess it could always be a worn out mount somewhere.

oz-boz

Post by oz-boz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:19 pm

I read somewhere that if the dmf failed it could take out the gearbox, or would that be extreme?