Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical starter issues

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Worcester_spoon

Electrical starter issues

Post by Worcester_spoon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:59 pm

So, battery has run flat a couple of times - I thought it was me leaving the video recorder plugged in, but I've unplugged it and still having issues.

The doors open and all the dash lights come on, but I'm just getting a click when it turns over. Could it be an alternator or starter motor issue rather than a battery issue?
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Electrical starter issues

Post by markplant » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:02 pm

Could be the solenoid sticking on the starter
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:19 pm

I suspect you need a new battery. Give it a charge and see if the issue goes away? I had the same when I'd left my car for 4-5 weeks and came back and it was flat and made the noise you've described.

Chris
2020 Range Rover Velar D240 HSE
1988 Land Rover 90
1972 Land Rover Series 3

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Get a multimeter on the battery.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:04 pm

I've got a multimeter you can use but I'm in SP5 so a little drive away. If the car isn't starting then this would be quite difficult. If I drive past Basingstoke I'll drop you a pm. Not sure if I am going that way for a few weeks though.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks guys. Battery was new 5 months ago and until recently I've not had an issue. I was driving it 3 or 4 times a week and it's only when this has slowed down there is an issue. Trip to an auto electiprician is probably called for u reckon.
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Do the first few steps yourself. Check the battery output, 12.35 V when disconnected (and having been left for a few hours) is approx. 75% and anything lower than that I would change. Check the voltage with the engine running - the alternator should be putting out 13.2–14.4 V.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:47 pm

check for a parasitic drain on it too.. I was having very similar issues, and turned out to be the sh***y connector in the central cubby hole (the connector that detects the door being open or closed).
I removed this, and my car can now last at least a week without being started.
beforehand.. it was a couple of days at best.

However, if you've emptied the battery properly a few times, then tried to start a few times whilst it's drained, its not likely to have done it any good.
most places offer a free battery test (using a "deep cycle" tester I think it's called? whatever.. it's more than a multimetre) and this will tell you if your battery is kaput.

good news is, if it's only a few months old, and you have the receipt, you'll get a free replacement for it ;)
:zzzz:

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks guys - I retro fitted a USB socket where the cig lighter was and I suspect this may be the issue (as it has a small blue light on it). Going to swap this back at the weekend and see if it solves the issue. Didn't have a problem before this, albeit under different conditions (I.e it was being driven more).

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:46 am

Worcester_spoon wrote:Thanks guys - I retro fitted a USB socket where the cig lighter was and I suspect this may be the issue (as it has a small blue light on it). Going to swap this back at the weekend and see if it solves the issue. Didn't have a problem before this, albeit under different conditions (I.e it was being driven more).
I've got a usb converter and an arduino permenantly powered in mine at the moment.. these don't draw that much that it would kill a battery that quick (unless they're borked maybe?)
:zzzz:

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Ok, so put a multimeter on it - drawing around 2.5 when car open, drops to around 1.8 when car locked for 30 seconds whilst systems shut down and then it's at 0.03.

Battery is going flat inside 6 hours...

Makes no sense, so not sure what to do now. I have a faulty actuator in the n/s door, so wondered if that could be causing an issue?

Next up is pulling fuses I guess, but given its only pulling 0.03, not really sure what I'm going to be able to find.

Damn bloody stupid car.

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:04 pm

0.3 Amps should not make a battery flat from fully charged in 6 hours, I'd get your battery tested regardless of it only being 5 months old , it could be faulty

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:42 pm

I've had a similar problem but definitely diagnosed mine as a Starter Motor Issue. Somethines I have nothing at all, just a click, then other time loads of juice to turn it over and raise/lower the roof, so not a power/charge issue I dont think.

Also tapping the starter/solenoid with a spanner seems to work sometimes and it turns over and starts OK.

So...
a) Where is the best place to source a Starter Motor for a 3.4 Alpina ( Inc any exchange deals for the old unit?)
b) is it a standard 3.0 Starter as on the car when BMW sent it to Alpina ?

All advice appreciated
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

bowser134

Post by bowser134 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Double check your alternator voltage when it's running at idle and then load it up with consumables on and see if the voltage drops dramatically. Battery might not being getting charged when your driving it.

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Thanks bowser - I'll give it a go.