Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wing mirror glass fell off

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ninjahamster

Post by ninjahamster » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:51 pm

The glass from my driver side wing mirror fell off whilst driving down the A1 at the weekend, it looks like it was just the glass as there is a black pad still in place, with what looks like dried out glue on there.

Looked on ebay and found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-Z4-02 ... 43b5506fa4

Is this the right thing? do I just need to remove the black pad and replace it with this?

toolmanchris

Re: Wing mirror glass fell off

Post by toolmanchris » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:55 pm

I had the same issue a couple of months ago and fitted one similar to your link. Works fine for me ;-)
Reliant Scimitar GTE in Bold yellow (under restoration) http://www.toolmanweb.com

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:07 pm

I was fortunate enough to catch my mirror . an just re glue'd that onto the plastic back. I don't know if you can get just the mirror part. Am sure further comments will be along shortly
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:12 pm

common issue,

happened to mine - just the mirror from the stealers used to be ridiculous, I just got an ebay one for 10% of the cost of the dealer one and stuck it back on, no trouble :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Don't forget to check your other one as a precaution :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:11 pm

Yep, same happened to my first Zed, on the mway. Just peel off and stick on - don't remove the black padding on your wing mirror just stick it on top.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Uncle_Gravy

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:32 pm

Sorry to bump this up, My passenger side mirror fell out as my old man was slowly driving off the drive.

I'm looking at the seller of the above ebay link, he has two kinds, Electric and the other is heated, How do I know if my zed has heated mirrors? And another question for the OP if he does come back, did you buy from the ebay link you posted and how is the quality?

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:52 pm

Uncle_Gravy wrote:Sorry to bump this up, My passenger side mirror fell out as my old man was slowly driving off the drive.

I'm looking at the seller of the above ebay link, he has two kinds, Electric and the other is heated, How do I know if my zed has heated mirrors? And another question for the OP if he does come back, did you buy from the ebay link you posted and how is the quality?
All Zs have heated mirrors & they are heated whenever the car is running hence why the glue fails :cry:
Pi55poor idea from BMW :thumbsdown:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:52 pm

Uncle_Gravy wrote:Sorry to bump this up, My passenger side mirror fell out as my old man was slowly driving off the drive.

Think even the most basic zed had heated mirrors. Easy to tell though with the car running for a few minutes put your hand on it. On E85/6 they are always on.

Uncle_Gravy

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:00 pm

Yeah, I just turned my car on and that black plate thing holding the mirror was warm.

Also Checking the link which show's how to remove the mirror, I don't have a locking mechanism on mine, I was able to pull that plate off which seems to be held on by some type of white adhesive, This seems very cheap way of holding something in to me.

Just gonna order the passenger version of OP's ebay link and hope for the best I guess.

Starachell

Post by Starachell » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:27 pm

My passenger mirror kept falling off as noted above - managed to keep it stuck on with tape and various trips to the mechanic for glue. Then the other week someone grazed past and knocked my driver's one off! I bought the ebay version and it's sitting in the casing fine. My only minor issue is that the passenger side mirror has the blind spot line running the length of the mirror whereas the new driver's side one doesn't quite go to the edges. Having said that, with how my mirrors are going, I'm sure I'll need to replace the passenger one soon enough!

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:44 am

This just happened to me. Got to laugh at it. You would think with the amount of cars they made before the Z4 this wouldn't be an issue.

Seems to be a cheap fix.