Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Valve cover oil leak

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
hughmungus

Valve cover oil leak

Post by hughmungus » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Having changed the oil and filter last weekend I now seem to have a leaking valve cover gasket which may be as a result of new oil being s bit thinner.

Had a look on YouTube and it seems a "fairly simple" job to replace but can't find a specific 2.5 si guide.

Has anyone done this please and give any advice ?
Z4 Sapphire Black 2.0 M Sport ,Z4 Sapphire Black 2.5 Si :thumbsup:

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Valve cover oil leak

Post by firebobby » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:44 pm

It should be the same as the 3.0 as it's a six cylinder.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:36 am

Done mine last year. Easy job, took about an hour all in. Your one should be the same as any other guide out there.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

hughmungus

Post by hughmungus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:39 am

ben g wrote:Done mine last year. Easy job, took about an hour all in. Your one should be the same as any other guide out there.
Thanks Ben found the youtube vid and I see you had same issue, Did you need to replace the aluminium bolts as well or am I reading it wrong ?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:30 pm

ben g wrote:Done mine last year. Easy job, took about an hour all in. Your one should be the same as any other guide out there.
I think it's more involved with the n52 engined cars as they have the valvetronic gubbins hanging out the top of the cam cover to think about :?
Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:39 pm

I believe ALL alu bolts are single use. Even if some aren't it's not worth taking the chance, small price to pay to ensure it's done properly.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

hughmungus

Post by hughmungus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:59 am

Update on this, after following advice about cause etc, watching many YouTube how to's and almost buying gaskets etc I decided to have one last look at the problem.

After taking off the nice shiny plastic engine cover, I noticed that there were little pools of oil in the various crevices around bolt holes and other pits in the head cover. Eureka this was the cause of the smell of burning oil, it seems that when oil has been topped up over the years with the plastic cover left on like most people would do, any spill no matter how small gets under it and settles in the crevices etc. After a while the heat from the engine causes it to burn and smell and even dribble a little around the side giving the impression of a leak !.

After a thorough clean with paper towels it appears I don't have any failed gaskets or leaks.

So note to anyone who thinks they have similar, check under the plastic cover first it could save a lot of money and pain.