Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rain and Light Sensor Question (Pic Included)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
chriswoodward

Post by chriswoodward » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:05 pm

So since I have bought my car the RLS doesn't seem to be working, the first function on my wipers only wipes across the screen once and that's it, full speed they are fine.

My Auto Lights are working though which makes me a little confused though I am not sure exactly how this sensor functions so maybe it is possible for one part to work and not another, I'll point out that DIS said the stalk may be at fault because the sensitivity switch doesn't make the wiper go across the screen when adjusted, is this correct?

I'm guessing I am not barking up the wrong tree and that below is the sensor? Also to me that looks like it is de-laminating is there a fix for this as its getting annoying to manually press down the wiper stalk when its raining lightly?

thepits

Re: Rain and Light Sensor Question (Pic Included)

Post by thepits » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:34 pm

chriswoodward wrote: ....is there a fix for this as its getting annoying to manually press down the wiper stalk when its raining lightly?
Oh dear :roll:

Cats know your every thought.
But don't care.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:46 pm

I would say that sensor needs to be sorted. Somebody on here fixed theirs but it was a long time ago so I can't remember who it was.

When the adjuster on the switch is moved the writers should move once if in intermittent mode, but this might not work due to the sensor.

rjsimmons

Post by rjsimmons » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Forgive my resurrecting this thread, but the same issue is alive and well on my Zed. I found that the sensor appears to be de-laminating (roughly 33%). The light sensor appears to be working as advertised but the rain feature is DOA. Anyone with a resolution?

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:05 pm

Hello

The sensor is knackered or has started to fail when it looks like this .. when mine failed the whole wind screen had to be changed

Luckily for me I had a warranty and the dealer changed the screen

regards
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

rjsimmons

Post by rjsimmons » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Thank you, Mr. Bond. Replacing the entire windshield appears a bit extreme. Depending upon how the sensor is laminated on the windshield, simply re-applying either a laminate or using heat should suffice, although heat might damage the sensor.

85genius

Post by 85genius » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Mine was like that was going to try and fix as you can buy the new adhesive that sticks the sensor to the screen apparently it's cheap too but a motorway journey later and flying piece of high speed gravel, I had to make a £75 windscreen claim after a very small crack that was apparently too big to fix. The silver lining was that the new screen came with a new sensor attached so at least my sensors work now but stuck with a non oem windscreen
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

85genius

Post by 85genius » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Search the forum there's a thread on here and a few people have replaced the adhesive

rjsimmons

Post by rjsimmons » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Thanks, 85genius.

Lil_g_1234

Post by Lil_g_1234 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:16 pm

I'd be interested in this as I have the same problem.
Z4 3.0l - gone
650i - gone
Z4 35is - gone
M4 - Current

rjsimmons

Post by rjsimmons » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:01 pm

This past week was rather rainy here in NoVA, so I was able to experiment a bit and found that the intermittent feature worked as advertised on mine when I pressed on the bottom of the cover. I took the assembly apart and found the transparent cover to be firmly attached to the windshield, thus no need for reapplication. Apparently mine was not delaminizing as previously thought. But this does beg the question: why would pressing on the bottom of the cover cause the unit to return to full functionality?

Thoughts?

85genius

Post by 85genius » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:40 pm

rjsimmons wrote:This past week was rather rainy here in NoVA, so I was able to experiment a bit and found that the intermittent feature worked as advertised on mine when I pressed on the bottom of the cover. I took the assembly apart and found the transparent cover to be firmly attached to the windshield, thus no need for reapplication. Apparently mine was not delaminizing as previously thought. But this does beg the question: why would pressing on the bottom of the cover cause the unit to return to full functionality?

Thoughts?
Loose connection?

rjsimmons

Post by rjsimmons » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Checked that. No such.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Good evening! I know the thread is a little old but thought there wouldn't be a point in starting my own as my circumstances are so similar. I have the same problem as the OP the adhesive section has come away thus messing with the rain sensor functionality. The lights to note work fine (turn on at night and off during the day).

I'm not too bothered about the rain sensor function. I'll be happy if it reverts to standard intermitent without the sensor. So I discounected the rain sensor module. This solves the wipe issue. However now I'm left with lights on all the time? I'm not 100% certain of this because it's dark now, but I know this is probably because I removed the sensor, and naturally makes sense.

So my question is, can you deactivate the rain sensor function (with coding or something else), but retain the light sensor functionality?

And if so, can this be done without coding? For example you can program a new set of keys yourself, without any tools.

Many thanks!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:37 am

Quick update the lights definitely stay on during the day if you unplug the RLS module. Also if you remove the fuse, it does exactly the same as if you unpluged the module (possibly a tidier temporary fix to those interested).

Will now explore the coding route. Watch this space.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71