Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

interior leak, passenger door area.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Same position as me - door membrane looks new and rain channels are not blocked. I noticed however that one of the screws holding the door card was undone so now wondering whether cause of leak was eliminated but previous owner hadnt dried carpet.

Ferge 86

Post by Ferge 86 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:47 pm

I'm after cutting a fuel line 5.5mm in half and inserting it into the interior of the door seal in an attempt to expand the seal itself

It seems to have worked...but so did every other fix I administered at first until it lashed and proved otherwise :headbang:

Ferge 86

Post by Ferge 86 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:30 pm

Mike6 wrote:Same position as me - door membrane looks new and rain channels are not blocked. I noticed however that one of the screws holding the door card was undone so now wondering whether cause of leak was eliminated but previous owner hadnt dried carpet.

Mike that worked my door is now leak free!!!

1. Get 5.5 mm rubber fuel hose line

2. Slit hose down the middle but only through one side of pipe

3. Pull seal away from door panel close to the door hinge.

4. Now you fit the rubber hose that you slit along where seal would connect.

A. Fit half way up the door seal about 6 inches below height if wing mirror

B. Down as far as where the seal bends into a backward C shape.

5. Rub some washing up liquid into on rubber hose once fitted into door panel edge.

6. Now replace door seal pushing firmly so the you get a tight fit. Use plenty of washing up liquid!!!

Now test the shot outta your work with a hose and spray into the gap where door meets fender panel.

Problem solved!!!

peterh

Post by peterh » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi all,
I also have this problem of water leaking in on the passenger side in exactly the same place as Ben G. When I removed the door card to add sound deadening to the door skin I noticed that the membrane had been ripped in several places.
On checking the old invoices I came across a bill for the replacement of the window motor done by a BMW independent dealer in Liverpool and was surprised that they had left it in such poor condition.
I repaired as best as I could using gaffa tape but it still leaks.
What I do want to know is where will the water drain from assuming the integrity of the membrane has not been damaged? Can this be rectified by placing a sheet of polyurethane over the whole area and gaffa taping it around the edge of the existing door membrane?

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Ongoing saga for me as car is a weekend hobby and doesnt usually come out of the garage if its raining. Anyway noticed foam under passenger carpet was really wet after I purchased it. Tried all the usual like door membrane, clearing drain holes, scuttle by windscreen and any leaks around door seal end of last summer. Couldnt find a thing wrong so dried everything out and hoping it was a legacy issue which had previously been sorted made the mistake of going to Newlands Corner last Sunday in the rain and more rain and ponding issues on the road. Checked behind the passenger seat where there is an overlap join in the carpet and sure enough the underlay foam is wet.
Cannot think where next to check and a bit worried that rust could set in on the floorpan, although no sign of it when I dried it out.
I did read on here that even though the roof motor drain hole can appear unblocked it is difficult to clear completely, so probably now left with deciding whether to remove rag top or just live with it and dry out carpets every few months.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Mike6 wrote:Ongoing saga for me as car is a weekend hobby and doesnt usually come out of the garage if its raining. Anyway noticed foam under passenger carpet was really wet after I purchased it. Tried all the usual like door membrane, clearing drain holes, scuttle by windscreen and any leaks around door seal end of last summer. Couldnt find a thing wrong so dried everything out and hoping it was a legacy issue which had previously been sorted made the mistake of going to Newlands Corner last Sunday in the rain and more rain and ponding issues on the road. Checked behind the passenger seat where there is an overlap join in the carpet and sure enough the underlay foam is wet.
Cannot think where next to check and a bit worried that rust could set in on the floorpan, although no sign of it when I dried it out.
I did read on here that even though the roof motor drain hole can appear unblocked it is difficult to clear completely, so probably now left with deciding whether to remove rag top or just live with it and dry out carpets every few months.
you need to get it sorted otherwise the water can damage the airbag modules on the cill.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics