Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW cost cutting on the paint job?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bigdog

Re: BMW cost cutting on the paint job?

Post by bigdog » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:10 pm

PaulG wrote:I was once told by a detailer that another possible cause for the poor finish especially on the sides is down to gravity - after the clearcoat is sprayed, on vertical panels, it 'sags' due to its own weight before it is baked. On horizontal surfaces, it can settle flat (or flatter at any rate)
I'm no pro. But I would imagine it is somewhat down to gravity, But mostly due to the poor quality paints mandated by the ecomentalist's in the government. Wouldn't a high volatility paint set up a bit faster as the solvents evaporate much quicker than water based one's.
"Car Lovers drive Lotus Elises or Zeds, Psychopaths drive Se7ens."

jools1963

Re: BMW cost cutting on the paint job?

Post by jools1963 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:41 pm

To answer the initial question about the bonnet/boot shuts paint finish its quite simply a cost saving. The body before colour coat has been electrocoated for corrosion protection, then it is sprayed in a surfacer/sealer coat. All shuts and under bonnet/boot lid were typically hands prayed. The outer is machine sprayed. The sealer coat is coloured as per the basecoat . The bodies then being base coated in whatever colour it is supposed to be. The shuts are hand sprayed. The body is clear coated/lacqured on the exterior only. The process of clear coat deletion to shuts has been standard for over 10 years to my knowledge, its a big cost saving!

Water based colour coat in my opinion as an ex paint shop (mg rover) shift manager is crap! Solvent based always gave a greater depth of shine with less orange peel. But it is/was only the base coat that was water based at the time. Although technology was moving toward water based clear coat.

Hope this helps!!!

ferry

Post by ferry » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Thread resurrection but something I've just noted on my car, too. The shut lines are neatly masked. Clearly that extra 10 mm of paint coverage would have made all the difference to the profitability of the Z4.

Still, at least it's well documented so people don't assume the car has been front ended.

Has anyone ever had a go at touching up that strip? Seems a relatively low risk endeavour given the location (famous last words)......

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:21 pm

ferry wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:05 pm Thread resurrection but something I've just noted on my car, too. The shut lines are neatly masked. Clearly that extra 10 mm of paint coverage would have made all the difference to the profitability of the Z4.

Still, at least it's well documented so people don't assume the car has been front ended.

Has anyone ever had a go at touching up that strip? Seems a relatively low risk endeavour given the location (famous last words)......
if you look at the link at start of post someone has done this with pics :thumbsup:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

ferry

Post by ferry » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:03 pm

bz4kev wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:21 pm
ferry wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:05 pm Thread resurrection but something I've just noted on my car, too. The shut lines are neatly masked. Clearly that extra 10 mm of paint coverage would have made all the difference to the profitability of the Z4.

if you look at the link at start of post someone has done this with pics :thumbsup:
Thanks, just found that on pistonheads.

mr nurburgring

Post by mr nurburgring » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Lol. It was me who did that on pistonheads.
Still looks prefect.

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:26 am

mr nurburgring wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:56 pm Lol. It was me who did that on pistonheads.
Still looks prefect.
think I may have to do mine Toledo blue I thought someone had done a bad respray same places and in the boot top section looks awful have to sort this not good bmw hang your heads in shame very shoddy workmanship :thumbsdown:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills