Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering shaking on braking

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:12 pm

My E86 seems to have developed a steering shake on braking from over 50mph. It become more pronounced if you brake hard.

It feels as if it's coming from the front left.

I've replaced the lollipops around 15k ago with Meyle HDs and fitted new discs and pads when it occurred, but it seems to have come back now.

I've checked the wheel balance and the discs etc. are all good.

Any ideas? Could I have a damaged wishbone?
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:17 pm

Had this on my Santa Fe and my caliper had seized one side, distorting my two year old discs. it does sound like your discs though - does it pulse on lighter braking?
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 pm

It could just be uneven pad deposits on your discs. Best way to resolve is to redress the discs by rubbing down with 400 grit silicon carbide wet and dry and follow the correct bedding in procedure for the pads (likely to be a few hard stops from speed). If that doesn't work, most likely to be a warped disc (particularly if they were budget ones). Replace or if they were premium discs, just get them skimmed (about £15 ech). Good shout on making sure your calipers and pistons move freely on each side.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:59 pm

My moneys on a sticking calliper if you can feel it in the wheel, I've had this very thing recently.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:55 pm

That or a warped disc.

If its a sticky caliper the vibration will be all the time and get worce the faster you go.

I have a sticky caliper the car literally felt like it was trying to rip the steering wheel out of my hands. Had to have a new one with disk and pad. Thankfully under warranty.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Decent 15-20mins drive with plenty of braking then have a touch of each front caliper , should easily identify if one is sticking .
As mentioned already it could be warped disc & also worth checking tyre pressures on front ( ideally 32-34psi) :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Right, I'll try and get the wheel off next weekend and clean down the calipers. I just hope it's not a worn bush or something.

The car doesn't get used too much at the moment.

I've got a infrared thermometer some where, so I may give that a shot too.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Paulr wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:17 pm Had this on my Santa Fe and my caliper had seized one side, distorting my two year old discs. it does sound like your discs though - does it pulse on lighter braking?
Only from about 40-50 mph. But at higher speeds, yes. Light pulsing, then progressively more violent the harder I brake.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:18 pm

I would agree this sounds like a sticky caliper. The sticking one will be getting hotter sooner, so you should be able to easily confirm if that is the case. It may well have all ready done some damage to your discs and pads, if it's not bad then they will clean them selves up over a few drives. Otherwise you may need to get them skimmed or replaced too.

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Hmmmm... So I take it that it is caliper off, clean the pistons up and the sliders.

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:31 pm

My money would be on a warped disc but that seems less likely if they were replaced not that long ago. So sticking piston in the calipar has to be the next thing to look at. However replacement discs can be dodgy if you purchased them off the internet. Do they have a large groove around the outside of the disc. If so I wouldnt discount disc failure or possibly broken brake pad material. Should be easy to check.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Wildfire wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:29 pm Hmmmm... So I take it that it is caliper off, clean the pistons up and the sliders.
It’s not always that easy, the machined recess in the calliper the piston seal sits in can corrode behind the seal & push it against the piston.
Cleaning the piston up if this has happened will be ineffective :thumbsdown:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:03 pm

I think a strip down, clean and application of copper grease on the sliding surfaces is what I would do as a starter. I warped a pair of discs on my Z3-M doing an 'emergency brake' from 150mph to 70mph on the Autobahn (t**t in a Fiesta pulled into outside lane whilst I was gunning it). I guess the discs went from approx 30'C to 300'C in about a second!

They were never right after that and I had to get them skimmed.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:30 pm

This is highly likely to be a warped disc/discs. I fitted new M-Tec Grooved discs and Red Stuff pads back in April and warped them whilst on the Dumfries & Galloway run. I took my Zed to Suthers Star Garage in Walmer Bridge, Preston as they have a Procut On-Car Brake Lathe and can resurface warped discs whilst fitted on the car so that both faces on the disc are parallel and true to the hub. Also it is highly unlikely that a disc that has been heat cycled, warped and had its grain structure altered will ever warp again even after skimming. Mine have been perfect since I had them skimmed. Take a look here : http://skimmydiscs.co.uk/ :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Ebeneezer

Post by Ebeneezer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:06 pm

First thing I would do is take the car out somewhere where you can do some high speed braking to clean any pad transfer off the discs, I have to do this every now and then with my car on M-Tec drilled and grooved discs and Ultimax pads. Also Don't use copper grease on the sliders, use a clear spray grease.

Tony.