Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transmission Warning Light + Service Engine Light HELP!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
fsck!

Post by fsck! » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:41 am

Hi All -

As I was pulling out of a parking lot today, my transmission started knocking on my 2004 Z4 3.0i (E85/M64) automatic, 70,000+miles. The car got really jerky and was stuck in either 2 or 3rd gear. I was driving home at 40MPH with over 4000+ RPMs!. My transmission light (yellow gear with exclamation in middle) and my service engine soon light both came on. I turned ignition off and waited, started back up and issue reoccured. I attempted to switch to manual but gears would not change. After driving over 10 miles, I pulled over, turned off ignition and waited. I turned ignition back on and immidiately went into manual/sports mode at which point I could change gears. I went back into automatic and the warning light did not come on again but the service engine soon light stayed on.

As soon as I got home I read the codes with my peak reader and I got a 299A on Tablet 20 - which is 'ERROR MANAGEMENT EGS'. I already had a 27C3 from before which is 'THERMAL OIL LEVEL SENSOR' and I am waiting for the part on that one to get it replaced. My questions are:

1.- What is ERROR MANAGEMENT EGS?
2.- Why did the issue stop at one point (I haven't driving the car again since). Is the transmission in 'fail-safe' mode?
3.- Should I continue to drive the car?
4.- Any chance a sensor could cause something like this?
5.- I suppose the other code that deals with the bad themal oil level sensor would not be related to this issue.

I do my own maintenance on this car and I have the BMW TIS but could not find anything in there that relates to this. I changed the engine Oil just a few days ago.

Any help or insight you could provide is greatly appreciated. I hope I am not in for thousands of dollars in repairs. :cry:

Thanks,

Robert

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Transmission Warning Light + Service Engine Light HELP!

Post by AlanJ » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Firstly welcome to the Forum! Sorry to hear of your issues hopefully someone will help.

Have a look at these....

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/w8e ... 4-dr-sedan
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=123574
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

fsck!

Post by fsck! » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Thank you AlanJ -

Yep, I found the first link yesterday while doing research on this. Very good info on that PDF and it does make me wonder, considering the number of sensors the EGS takes input from, if something else besides the EGS could be the culprit.

The car is driving fine now (or at least it seems like ti is). I cleared the codes last night but the one about ERROR MANAGEMENT EGS appears to be hard coded now because it did not clear. Also, the Check Engine Soon light remains on. It is probably a matter of time before the issue reoccurs.

I think my options at this point are to take it to the dealer to run some diagnostics (not sure how much that is going to cost me - an arm an a leg probably) and go from there. If they tell me that it is a defective EGS, I have been reading about folks who have bought them online, is it a b** to get to? I don't even know where it is located - the TIS does not show me anything on this component. My understanding is that they must be programmed before install. I found one online for my car for $1000+ OUCH!. Do you or anybody here has had any experience replacing one of these? Also, any chance it could just be a wire harness issue with this component?

Thanks

fsck!

Post by fsck! » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:19 am

I have since driven the car and the 'check engine soon' light is no longer on. The car also seems to perform properly. Is this a good indication that the transmission is ok and that the issue is likely elsewhere? I am going to take it for diagnostics tomorrow hopefully but it would be nice to have some idea before poking the lion in the face.

Maximus369

Post by Maximus369 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 am

What happen after the diagnostics? I happen to be in the same problem. However I can get away with it by first turning the key half way position to turn the computer and radio and than I turn the z4 on and the gear light is off it always works but I want to find a final fix for the issue it seems that my z4 lost a lot of power and I think it might be due to the computer not communicating with the transmission but at this point I'm still trying to figure out the problem. :(

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 am

Hi and welcome to the forum - I've got a stick box so have no idea but rest assured there are members on here who will have a solution for you - normally very quickly.

Its good you found the forum. How about posting a newbie thread with picture of your Zed. We love seeing members cars :thumbsup:

Maximus369

Post by Maximus369 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:25 am

bmw 3.0i 2005 z4.jpg
bmw 3.0i 2005 z4.jpg (181.23 KiB) Viewed 2596 times