Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof rattles and vibrations

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Vbstein

Roof rattles and vibrations

Post by Vbstein » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:40 am

Recently Guildford and pretty everywhere within the woking area has developed pot holes. There are so many now that you cant aviod them, since they have became be common. I notice now on uneven roads i can hear a plastic rattle which does seem to be coming from the roof. However on a newer road which is perfectly flat no rattles at all.

I was wondering is there anyway to tighten to bults and screws. I can live with a small rattle but this is too much for me.

I have a really bad feeling that their is nothing that i can do about this.

Anyway thanks for ideas which you guys may come up with.
BMW Z4 3.0I is old but not obsolete.

Nova2k7

Re: Roof rattles and vibrations

Post by Nova2k7 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Vbstein wrote:Recently Guildford and pretty everywhere within the woking area has developed pot holes. There are so many now that you cant aviod them, since they have became be common. I notice now on uneven roads i can hear a plastic rattle which does seem to be coming from the roof. However on a newer road which is perfectly flat no rattles at all.

I was wondering is there anyway to tighten to bults and screws. I can live with a small rattle but this is too much for me.

ive just seen this and its like i wrote it! im having the exact same problem!

Vbstein

Post by Vbstein » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Nova2k7 wrote:
Vbstein wrote:Recently Guildford and pretty everywhere within the woking area has developed pot holes. There are so many now that you cant aviod them, since they have became be common. I notice now on uneven roads i can hear a plastic rattle which does seem to be coming from the roof. However on a newer road which is perfectly flat no rattles at all.

Did you say in your post that the noise is coming behide your seat?

chrisba

Post by chrisba » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Vbstein wrote:
Nova2k7 wrote:

I have this rattle coming from just behind the passenger seat. From just above the headrest near the window! So annoying! :headbang:
Add your name to the "Welsh Members" thread here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59289

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Vbstein wrote:
Nova2k7 wrote:

Yeah thats what it sounds like but it could be from the parcel shelf area!

[/quote]I have this rattle coming from just behind the passenger seat. From just above the headrest near the window! So annoying! :headbang:[/quote]

yeah i can cope with the odd little one but this is destroying my enjoyment!

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Can't help with the rattle, but I drove through Guildford last week and couldn't believe how s**t the roads were :thumbsdown:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:51 pm

did you get anywhere with this mate?

Vbstein

Post by Vbstein » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Nova2k7 wrote:did you get anywhere with this mate?
Nope just putting the music louder.

Anyone going to Guildford aviod Woking Road if you value your spine and your car. The road is a giant pot hole!

frankyk24

Post by frankyk24 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:31 pm

I've got the same problem, just behind the passenger seat top corner and I can't find it. Have tried lubing all the joints but it didn't help. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:50 pm

I had same problem behind passenger seat top corner, turned out to be the plastic wind deflector that is located within the roll bar. Gave it a squirk of Aerospace lubricant and that silenced it by 95%.

When mine was vibrating I could press the wind deflector insert whilst driving and it stopped, couldn't see anyway to tighten it up though, but lubing it worked for me :D

I also lubed the channel where the rear parcel shelve runs up and down just in case as well.
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:21 pm

Swiftly wrote:I had same problem behind passenger seat top corner, turned out to be the plastic wind deflector that is located within the roll bar. Gave it a squirk of Aerospace lubricant and that silenced it by 95%.

When mine was vibrating I could press the wind deflector insert whilst driving and it stopped, couldn't see anyway to tighten it up though, but lubing it worked for me :D

I also lubed the channel where the rear parcel shelve runs up and down just in case as well.
Did you manage to lube the shelf through the boot or from above? My car suffers from plenty of buzzes/rattles & they are SO annoying!

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:41 am

Smartbear wrote:
Swiftly wrote:I had same problem behind passenger seat top corner, turned out to be the plastic wind deflector that is located within the roll bar. Gave it a squirk of Aerospace lubricant and that silenced it by 95%.

Did you manage to lube the shelf through the boot or from above? My car suffers from plenty of buzzes/rattles & they are SO annoying!
Managed from the top with a little bit of effort. Certainly helped reduce some of the rattle/vibration which resonated at times when over certain road surfaces.
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

BRC

Post by BRC » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:10 am

Exactly the same for me but rather than lubricate I wedged some black foam between the deflector and frame. This stopped it instantly :thumbsup: . Also had a noise coming from the passenger seat and this turned out to be the seat belt catch. I now simply make sure it is swivelled back and in contact with the lower areas of the seat bolster. Just one other I'm aware of i.e. the plastic trim that runs down the passenger side of the windscreen but as it's intermittent I'm not so bothered by it :| .

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 am

well mine has gone now! no idea what it was but a garage told me i had a loose exhaust nut?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:14 pm

i had a go at this today, big improvement :)
i put some oil on the piano type hinges on the parcel shelf from inside the boot as well-much less grating to drive on our bad roads.
regards

I also lubed the channel where the rear parcel shelve runs up and down just in case as well.[/quote]

Managed from the top with a little bit of effort. Certainly helped reduce some of the rattle/vibration which resonated at times when over certain road surfaces.[/quote]

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold