Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ignition coils and spark plugs - preferred brand?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi folks, the zed is developing a bit of a hiccough on low end acceleration - suspect coils and/or spark plugs but no codes yet.
It's a 2007 2.5i - N52 engine. I'll replace the lot - it's done nearly 80k and I can't be faffed with doing bits.

Spark plugs - I believe NGK iridium ILZFR6D11 are the ones to have?

Coils - Delphi seem to be the ones fitted by BMW, but are more expensive (and slightly harder come by) than Bosch. What's the difference, really? Any thoughts on replacing with either?

Cheers folks!
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:49 pm

My coils were BMW Bosch so I replaced them with Bosch and Bosch spark plugs, 35% off at ECP at the moment. They have been on for a while and are fine.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:56 am

Mine developed a misfire too yesterday afternoon, so have reserved a set of Bosch coil packs from eurocarparts using the 35% discount code
Replaced the plugs earlier on in the week as I did a full service

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:13 am

You might want to try WKD56 at GSF Carparts. Apparently it's 56% off their inflated website prices this weekend. But you might find you get a lower net price than the discount from Euro are offering.
Don't know what it is with these two these days, always getting some sort of discount code from them. Worse than DFS!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Just picked up 6x Bosch coils from Amazon for £18 each, and 6x NGK plugs from carparts4less for £9 each.

All in about £160 for the lot :thumbsup:
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox