Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sudden coolant loss

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Sparrow

Sudden coolant loss

Post by Sparrow » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Good Saturday of motoring with the roof down on the Z4 in the sun, 150+ miles. Checked the usual fluids, levels etc Sunday evening. Coolant cap was really difficult to remove (engine cold) initially thought it was cross threaded. Coolant level was maybe a bit high, the float was at it maximum height.

Drove 10 miles this morning as usual, 2 hours later noticed a large puddle of fluid under/dripping form the car. Under tray full and dripping out the the small home in the center.

Coolant cap removed and float at its now at the minimum.

I'm hoping that its just a case of me not fully tightening the cap, system has pressurised as it drove then gradually worked it way out the loose cap.

I'm confident that it was as tight as my other vehicles but it was definitely not as tight as what I removed yesterday.

I couldn't see any obvious hose split/cracked expansion tank. Just seems a big coincidence that its happened the next drive after I'd checked the level

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated guys :)

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Sudden coolant loss

Post by patriot66 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:05 pm

What engine and year is your Zed ? It would be difficult to cross - thread the cap as it's quite a chunky, square thread. Also, if you tightened it reasonably then it shouldn't leak. Check the rubber seal is intact. I would suspect the expansion tank is cracked. You won't necessarily be able to plainly see a crack. Mine cracked a couple of months back and it was on a concealed corner so couldn't be seen until I removed it.
20170819_134642_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20170819_134642_Richtone(HDR).jpg (98.22 KiB) Viewed 891 times
Fill your tank with water and go for a short drive until the temp gauge is at normal, preferably back on your drive way. Leave it running and open the bonnet. Carefully (it's hot!) look or feel for a leak around and under the expansion tank. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Sudden coolant loss

Post by MACK » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:11 pm

+1 expansion tank, had to do mine on the zed and it's a really common failure on all bmw's of this vintage.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Sparrow

Sudden coolant loss

Post by Sparrow » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks for the replies :)

It's a 3L, 2004. I've been reading about others experience with cracked expansion tanks. Just think it's a big coincidence that's it leaked literally the next drive after I checked it.

Would distilled water do for now? Coolant change planned in soon anyway.

A bit wary about driving it without knowing how severe the leak is

Stuartt

Sudden coolant loss

Post by Stuartt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 pm

My expansion tank let go at the weekend, not the usual split but a small pin hole took a while to locate to be certain even with the system pressurized to 15psi.
Still it's all stripped out now and I'll be putting a new one in at the weekend.

Stuart
IMG_6759.JPG
IMG_6759.JPG (450.84 KiB) Viewed 878 times
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Sudden coolant loss

Post by patriot66 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Mine cracked completely without warning and I also check my levels at least once a week. My wife had been shopping 10 miles away and was luckily just 500 yards from home when the coolant level warning came on :o Anyway, distilled water is fine. If you don't fancy driving it then just let it idle until the temp shows normal. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Sparrow

Sudden coolant loss

Post by Sparrow » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 pm

patriot66 wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:42 pm Mine cracked completely without warning and I also check my levels at least once a week. My wife had been shopping 10 miles away and was luckily just 500 yards from home when the coolant level warning came on :o Anyway, distilled water is fine. If you don't fancy driving it then just let it idle until the temp shows normal. :thumbsup:
I'll top up with distilled water tomorrow then (Tescos?). I guess I should see the coolant level light come on if it drops as I drive.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

csm180

Sudden coolant loss

Post by csm180 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:17 am

Hi mine went in the e85, if the level only goes down when you have driven a while, the expansion tank would be my guess. Open the bonnet and look down onto the engine tray before and after to see if it had only leaked during your drive. Best of luck finding it. My level light never came on as it is the expansion tank not the rad.
E89 23i pearl black.
E85 Titanium Silver 3.0se sold

Jmcg666

Sudden coolant loss

Post by Jmcg666 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:01 pm

I had the same problem and thought it was the reservoir; cap felt like it was cross threaded but it was actually just a knackered cap. Replaced cap and hey presto.
56 Plate 2.5Si, Silver/Red Leather

jayd1000

Sudden coolant loss

Post by jayd1000 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:52 pm

Mine went also, took a few weeks to figure out where it was coming from. Sometimes I would come home and park on drive and nothing, but then sometimes there would be a small drip, but couldn't see where coming from. Mostly happened if in traffic and car got hot, think the heat expand the tank. I changed cap just incase but to no avail. Changed tank as last resort, and there it was a slight hairline crack.