Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof not Latching Open

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Boris

Roof not Latching Open

Post by Boris » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:27 pm

I've clicked the "NEW" topic button to start this thread knowing full well its hardly a new problem but I have yet after reading page after page of information found an answer to the problem.

The roof will open and close fine no problem and no flashing lights.

The only problem is when its fully open it doesn't latch open you need to put a bit of pressure on the roof and it does then latch open.

Also I know the car can be used like this without any problems but convincing the wife of this is a different matter :roll:

Has anyone actually come up with a fix for this please.

Any suggestions gratefully received, the correct one even more so :D

Cheers

Nev

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Roof not Latching Open

Post by markplant » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:37 pm

It may be low on oil in the Res on the roof motor, or could be roof fabric not folding properly
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Boris

Roof not Latching Open

Post by Boris » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:41 pm

markplant wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:37 pm It may be low on oil in the Res on the roof motor, or could be roof fabric not folding properly
I only bought the car in May of this year from a forum member and he had only just had the roof motor moved by "Mr Ducklakeview so I "assume" the hydraulic oil would have been checked at that point. I do know it wasn't latching at that point as well and that I was told this by the seller when I bought the car.

However as for the folding, I really don't know I have to ask the question how would I know?

Cheers

Nev

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof not Latching Open

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Extremely common issue, but absolutely nothing to worry about.

I always fill the oil, so that will be fine.

99% of the time, it's as said above, ie the fabric not folding properly. Do you know if the roof has been treated or dyed? This makes the fabric stiffer causing the problem. Also watch as the roof folds, there are a couple of little straps of fabric that are designed to pull the roof into a concertina as it fold. These rot at the fixing rivets or snap, again preventing it folding. A giveaway is shiny rubbing marks near the rear window.

Mine used to do it, but would always click into place 100 yards down the road. You know the latch was actually removed by bmw around facelift time? I presume they also got fed up being asked about it.

Mike

Boris

Roof not Latching Open

Post by Boris » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:13 pm Extremely common issue, but absolutely nothing to worry about.

I always fill the oil, so that will be fine.

99% of the time, it's as said above, ie the fabric not folding properly. Do you know if the roof has been treated or dyed? This makes the fabric stiffer causing the problem. Also watch as the roof folds, there are a couple of little straps of fabric that are designed to pull the roof into a concertina as it fold. These rot at the fixing rivets or snap, again preventing it folding. A giveaway is shiny rubbing marks near the rear window.

Mine used to do it, but would always click into place 100 yards down the road. You know the latch was actually removed by bmw around facelift time? I presume they also got fed up being asked about it.

Mike
Cheers Mike at least this will probably reassure the good lady.

I'll take a look a the roof tonight and see if I can tell if its folding correctly and have a look see if I can find the strips of fabric you refer to.

Thanks' for your input.

Nev

Boris

Roof not Latching Open

Post by Boris » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Ok,

I've taken a look at this and the two staps on each side are still attached and appear to be doing their job, it also appears to be folding without any problems with no shiny bits but still not latching down.

I've gone through all the linkages with WD40 and then cycled the hood a number of times but its still not working.

I have double checked the shelf is at its lowest point as well and that's ok so nothing fouling it.

As far as I'm aware it hasn't been treated there is nothing visual anyway.

So I'm at a loss, it just looks like the hydraulics aren't powerful enough to take it that last little bit to latch on.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Roof not Latching Open

Post by ph001 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Have you tried removing the rear parcel shelf and seeing if that makes any difference? You will need to put something in the microswitch slot so the roof still operates.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Boris

Roof not Latching Open

Post by Boris » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:13 pm

I've not removed it but I've moved it up and down to make sure it's totally down when I'm opening the roof. And when I look in the boot when the roof is down it looks fine.

Russ59

Roof not Latching Open

Post by Russ59 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Boris wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:27 pm I've clicked the "NEW" topic button to start this thread knowing full well its hardly a new problem but I have yet after reading page after page of information found an answer to the problem.

The only problem is when its fully open it doesn't latch open you need to put a bit of pressure on the roof and it does then latch open.

Also I know the car can be used like this without any problems but convincing the wife of this is a different matter :roll:

Cheers

Nev

Read this thread, the roof folds in on itself. Stop the roof half way open and pull the corners out and it should fold all the way down. I have the same problem along with a lot more forum members.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9058&hilit=ROOF+FOLD
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

Boris

Roof not Latching Open

Post by Boris » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Russ59 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm
Boris wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:27 pm I've clicked the "NEW" topic button to start this thread knowing full well its hardly a new problem but I have yet after reading page after page of information found an answer to the problem.

Cheers

Nev

Read this thread, the roof folds in on itself. Stop the roof half way open and pull the corners out and it should fold all the way down. I have the same problem along with a lot more forum members.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9058&hilit=ROOF+FOLD
Cheers Russ, been busy tonight so not had chance to try this but will give it a go and let you know the outcome. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Roof not Latching Open

Post by srhutch » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Just remove the catch, I did as it rubbed in the interior of the roof. As already said it was removed around facelift time anyway.

Boris

Roof not Latching Open

Post by Boris » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:52 pm

I've tried all sorts of different ways to get it to fold but it only wants to fold one way, which I believe is the correct way but it still wont latch I think I will just have to live with it.

I just don't like it when things don't work properly :D

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Roof not Latching Open

Post by ph001 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:05 pm

I'd still remove the parcel shelf as it allows you to fully inspect it in the fully folded position. It's only a 5 min job.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Boris

Roof not Latching Open

Post by Boris » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:00 pm

ph001 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:05 pm I'd still remove the parcel shelf as it allows you to fully inspect it in the fully folded position. It's only a 5 min job.
I didn't do that to be fair, I guess I should just incase.

Cheers

Nev

chrisgreen

Roof not Latching Open

Post by chrisgreen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:48 pm

Mine does this too - appears as though the roof cycle is closed but it won’t latch and isn’t completely flat. When I put the roof Half down and pull the corners then it folds properly.

Is there a solution or as I read above just live with it?
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black