Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

High RPM voltage rising

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mjennings23

High RPM voltage rising

Post by mjennings23 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Still got an issue, details below if anyone can help!
Last edited by mjennings23 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

High RPM voltage rising

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:56 pm

I have no great insite or idea with electrics. But I do know I had a few isues with my car when the ground connection in the boot was a bit iffy. Worth checking it and also do the one in the engine bay.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

High RPM voltage rising

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:01 pm

If the voltage to the module goes over about 14.5-8v or so, it will trigger a code, as it alters the speed at which the ABS pump operates when it's modulating the fluid pressure. Get yourself a cheap digital multimeter and connect it to the cig lighter and watch the voltage. Does point to a faulty regulator pack in the alternator though, possibly one of the diodes has also gone.

Mike

mjennings23

High RPM voltage rising

Post by mjennings23 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks guys, will check the grounds as a matter of course anyway, but I’m anticipating a new regulator may be the course of action. Perhaps a bit odd though as I believe the alternator is only a couple of years old, certainly looks a lot newer than the rest of the engine bay components.

mjennings23

High RPM voltage rising

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:47 am

Okay, so I managed to read the codes and, while I was daft enough not to record the code itself, the description was “Board voltage >18”, so quite clearly voltage is spiking at high rpms. My speakers have now also stopped working, so I’m hoping this isn’t the amp getting fried by voltage too! I’ve not had a chance to pull it out to check the fuse yet, hopefully it’s nothing more.

Where abouts do I find the main ground points? I understand there’s one linking the engine to the chassis underneath at the front, but the rear one?

mjennings23

High RPM voltage rising

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:06 pm

Regulator changed today anyway, not had a chance to properly run it to redline but voltage across battery stayed consistent for the rev range I checked up to 4K so hopefully all is good, was showing a gradual increase beforehand.

Oddly it was a TRW alternator so clearly been replaced at some point, either way the design seems identical to Bosch as the new Bosch regulator was a mirror match to the fitted one.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

High RPM voltage rising

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:14 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:06 pm Regulator changed today anyway, not had a chance to properly run it to redline but voltage across battery stayed consistent for the rev range I checked up to 4K so hopefully all is good, was showing a gradual increase beforehand.

Oddly it was a TRW alternator so clearly been replaced at some point, either way the design seems identical to Bosch as the new Bosch regulator was a mirror match to the fitted one.
They all tend to use the same solid state internal components from other manufacturers. They can manufacture the rotating components cheaper, but not the semiconductors on the scale they work at.

Glad it seems to have sorted the problem, clear the codes and hopefully your audio will be ok.

Mike

mjennings23

High RPM voltage rising

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:05 pm

The amp is blowing its fuse constantly still, even when the car is off so I assume there must be some issue, it’s been sent off for testing anyhow so we shall see! For the sake of postage costs it’s no big deal.

mjennings23

High RPM voltage rising

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 am

So, I thought a new regulator had solved this, except it happened again last night. DSC module had code stored for >18v board voltage when checked.

Now, I'm hoping this is just an alternator ground issue now and will be checking that during the week. Past that coming up clear, it looks to be new battery/alternator time, which I'd rather avoid!

mjennings23

High RPM voltage rising

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Edit: Useless info!
Last edited by mjennings23 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjennings23

High RPM voltage rising

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:55 pm

At full throttle up to redline, in certain situations the voltage output spikes from a steady 14v to over 18v.

Now, after testing this weekend, this only seems to occur under heavy electrical load, and even then only when approaching redline on the engine.

For instance, tested with air con, heating, radio and lights all on. No issue.

Repeat test with heated seats on too, voltage spikes.

I have already changed the alternator regulator for a new Bosch piece, it was cheap enough to try and seemed logical. Seems I was wrong!

Would I be right in assuming this is pointing to a weak battery? Or could it be a bad ground? The only thing drawing me away from this is it only happening with high electrical draw.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

High RPM voltage rising

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 pm

The increased voltage has to be coming from the alternator, as it's the only thing that can produce those sort of figures. Possibly bad windings or damaged slip rings? What was the condition of the brushes on the removed unit?

Mike

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

High RPM voltage rising

Post by ph001 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Very odd this. I'm assuming it starts fine? There is no way you should be able to get 18V on the battery (well not a healthy one anyway). The current into the battery rises exponentially once you get much above 15V. So if you tried to put 18V onto a good 12V battery, the current would be huge - probably more than the alternator could even put out.

If the battery is very oxidised, it's impedance (think of it as internal resistance) goes up considerably. Under these circumstances, applying 18V doesn't take nearly as much current as the batteries own resistance is high. BUT, a high impedance battery also wouldn't be able to supply much current so you expect very lazy starting. Something here doesn't add up.

I think my next port of call would be replacing the battery, just to remove it from the equation if nothing else.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

mjennings23

High RPM voltage rising

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Never had an issue with starting, worst case about 1 second of cranking on a below freezing morning.

The old regulator brushes looked fine, still have it at home, currently thinking it was working perfectly well and didn't need replacing. I'll take a photo comparing the two at the weekend to see.

To clarify, the 18v was read from the OBD port, not a multimeter across the battery. Not sure if the battery is to OEM spec however, it's a Bosch S3 unit, believe 096 size but haven't checked properly. What's the minimum amps and CCA for this car? Bosch website lists S4 as minimum. Wonder if that could be something.

mjennings23

High RPM voltage rising

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Updates,

Tried a new battery today, no change. Same problem occurring.

Removed, cleaned and reseated engine and battery grounds, both showing resistance when checked as expected, and 0.0v across grounds.

So the next step may indeed be alternator, might pick up a cheap one from ECP for time being, at least that gives the option to return easily if it's not the cause.

The common denominator in all of these tests, however, if that it only happens with the heated seats on. Could this point to a grounding issue on the seat circuit?