Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Red Run Flat Indicator

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mark-Z4

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by Mark-Z4 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Driving this morning on the motorway my run flat indicator came on, the red light. I pulled over and checked tyres, no flats (i dont have run flats) and car felt fine.

I did notice a brake smell and a little smoke coming off rear OS caliper, i initially thought it was a pad sensor as they are close to replacement. But i think this is a different indicator?

Ive reset it at work and the light has gone out but ill have to see if it comes back on.

Any ideas? Thought maybe something got stuck in the caliper, stone etc?
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Did you actually check the pressures? A runflat will still look pretty much the same with ZERO air in it.. Sticking pads/caliper shouldn't trip it, as the system compares the relative rotational speeds of all four tyres and if it detects one turning faster, indicating a loss of pressure, it flags up the red light. If a caliper was dragging, it would, if anything cause a wheel to turn slower.

Mike

Crazy Harry

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:19 pm

What were the weather conditions? - daft question I know but I've had the same indication going through surface water on the motorway at speed. Slight loss of contact on one corner; car senses that one wheel is rotating faster than the other and deduces a puncture.

G600

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by G600 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Recently swapped the wheels round or changed tyre pressures? That can trigger it.
E85 3.0

weegeoff

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by weegeoff » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:59 pm

G600 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm Recently swapped the wheels round or changed tyre pressures? That can trigger it.
Have you tried swapping the wheels round. :? :? :?

G600

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by G600 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:05 pm

weegeoff wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:59 pm
G600 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm Recently swapped the wheels round or changed tyre pressures? That can trigger it.
Huh?
E85 3.0

Mark-Z4

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by Mark-Z4 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:17 pm

I dont have run flats so a flat tyre would be obvious i think.

I checked tyre pressures on Sunday, all were ok and ive driven car since. Wheels were off 2 weeks ago to paint my calipers.

Weather conditions were damp, but not raining. Im going to check car over before i leave work, then its 30 miles home.

What im wondering is if the caliper is stuck open, which would set off the indicator i guess when braking?

Thanks for the replys.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

PinkPineapple44

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by PinkPineapple44 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:14 pm

As Duck said, have you actually tested the pressures with a gauge? My E89 likes to flag up a pressure deviation from about a 10% and up range along the same axle; i.e 34psi on the FR and 30psi on the FL would spark the check pressure light to come on. The code on the dash (of my E89 anyway) also tells me which tyre is the suspected low baller

ekimj10

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by ekimj10 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Have you tried to reset? very often works for me, any change to the wheels seems to tyrigger iy off, such as putting your winter wheels, guaranteed to cause a red light.
2.2R Toledo Blue

Mark-Z4

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by Mark-Z4 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Checked pressures after work, they are as i set them on sunday.

I reset the indicator and drove home and thr car was fine. Pulled over to feel temp of calipers and they were cool so guess there's no binding. Maybe something like grit got into the caliper.

Im doing the same drive tomorrow.

mjennings23

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:03 pm

I’ve had mine trigger before, all tyres fine so I reset it and it didn’t come back in 4 months. Pretty sure if there was an issue I might have noticed it in that time!

I anticipate the sensors are quite cautious and trigger on any presumed irregularities as a precaution to get you to check physically

weegeoff

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by weegeoff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:49 pm

weegeoff wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:59 pm

G600 wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm
Recently swapped the wheels round or changed tyre pressures? That can trigger it.
Huh?
My wheels are sided and different front and back try swapping them round :P :P :P

Mark-Z4

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by Mark-Z4 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Well I do have some kind of issue developing. Tonight on my drive home, the car felt strange at low speed, like something was rubbing, then I started to realise it felt like a warped disc.

The same caliper I had issues with was red hot. So I'll have to get it booked in for further investigation, I knew the discs and pads were low and I've bought new in advance but looks like I have a caliper/hub problem.

weegeoff

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by weegeoff » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:41 pm

I think you have a seized piston in your calliper. You can do this yourself. It might be a bit fiddly the first time but it comes easy with practise. You can buy the kits, and somewhere on the forum it tells you how to fit them. It will save you £££££zsss :thumbsup:

Mark-Z4

Red Run Flat Indicator

Post by Mark-Z4 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:20 am

weegeoff wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:41 pm I think you have a seized piston in your calliper. You can do this yourself. It might be a bit fiddly the first time but it comes easy with practise. You can buy the kits, and somewhere on the forum it tells you how to fit them. It will save you £££££zsss :thumbsup:

You would be right :thumbsup:
The initial light coming on was the caliper seizing, then the next few weeks it got progressively worse.
I needed new discs and pads anyway so fitted a new caliper (£83) and did those at the same time. It's surprising the difference the fault made to the car, prob because it was gradual I didn't notice so much.