Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MOT Advisory

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
1doohan

MOT Advisory

Post by 1doohan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 am

Can someone in the know tell me exactly what parts are needed to make it handle all cushty and not pull to the left. The joy of buying a car without test driving it.
E86si with M sports suspension not sure if this would cause extra expense???
The car has had the same advisory notice for last 4 MOT's (tight wad previous owner :thumbsdown: )
Nearside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Nearside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Z4C Sapphire Black 398s Whippy
M4 Competition

rally-chris

MOT Advisory

Post by rally-chris » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:55 am

I'd start with the front lollipop bushes (probably points 3&4 on the advisory list) - they are a weak point on the E46 based suspension so I'd recommend upgrading to powerflex poly bushes.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

MOT Advisory

Post by MACK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:17 am

As Chris has said above you need to get the Bushes done and with some play in the arm ball joints you really should replace these at the same time. Which means full arms as the ball joint don't come separately. If you don't the play in the ball joints can kill new bushes quickly. Don't use cheap parts for this as cheap bushes are crap and will not last. Either use Oem or something like Meyle HD. You can use poly bushes but they are harsher so split opinion. Some love, some loath but if your looking for a cushty experience as possible I'd stay away from poly.

That said the pulling to the left might not be the bushes and arms, although it won't be helping. Its probably an alignment issue if all the springs/shocks and rear trailing arms are OK or even tyre pressure if you haven't checked them . After doing the arms and front bushes you need an alignment anyway.
When you have it aligned I would go with at least Z4m setting (not to be confused with M Sport) as the standard zed settings arent ideal for decent handling. There is a huge amount of rear camber and the whole lot is set up to encourage understeer. I would also remove the camber pins, which takes all of 3 seconds, to help get a decent amount of camber on the front.

Theres plenty of threads on alignment on here to help you out with this stuff
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Buckz

MOT Advisory

Post by Buckz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:22 am

I'd say get this -;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-Z4-E8 ... SwjVVVpQWA

and replace those parts :) I refreshed mine(was fine when I bought it but still did it)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

MOT Advisory

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54 am

The ones that wear are no.4 (RTAB - rear trailing arm bushes) and no.3 (front wishbone bushes)....
Z4 bushes.jpg
Z4 bushes.jpg (87.23 KiB) Viewed 747 times
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

MOT Advisory

Post by MACK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:42 pm

ph001 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54 am The ones that wear are no.4 (RTAB - rear trailing arm bushes) and no.3 (front wishbone bushes)....
Z4 bushes.jpg
If you want to do the rtab stuff at the rear as well as the front it might be worth your while getting a Bush limiting/shim kit as well. Plenty on ebay etc
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

1doohan

MOT Advisory

Post by 1doohan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:37 pm

:thumbsup:
Z4C Sapphire Black 398s Whippy
M4 Competition