Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0si cooling issues

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Wajakel

3.0si cooling issues

Post by Wajakel » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions all. Finally got around to looking at this today: tried the bleed procedure a couple of times, both with the engine cold and up at operating temperature, still no sign of the pump activating.
85genius wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:00 pm Mine failed gradually over the course of a couple of months so they don't always go the same way,

If you have an OBD reader you can do a fault code scan on the free version of the carly app to confirm.
Cheers for the Carly tip, a quick scan showed:

Code: Select all

Motor Control: 
   Engine / Motor 
      electric coolant pump, the communication 
        Code: 002E84 
        Code: 002E85 
      Crankshaft - inlet camshaft, correlation 
        Code: 002A98 
Seems like we have a winner. On a side note I'm guessing the other fault code is VANOS related, I've cleaned the solenoids a couple of times but I have had hesitation/power loss, probably time to replace them.

For the water pump, any recommendations on the best place to get one? ECP has one for a reasonable price.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

3.0si cooling issues

Post by Marlon » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Wajakel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:16 pm Thanks for the suggestions all. Finally got around to looking at this today: tried the bleed procedure a couple of times, both with the engine cold and up at operating temperature, still no sign of the pump activating.
85genius wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:00 pm Mine failed gradually over the course of a couple of months so they don't always go the same way,

If you have an OBD reader you can do a fault code scan on the free version of the carly app to confirm.
Cheers for the Carly tip, a quick scan showed:

Code: Select all

Motor Control: 
   Engine / Motor 
        Code: 002E84 
        Code: 002E85 
      Crankshaft - inlet camshaft, correlation 
        Code: 002A98 
Seems like we have a winner. On a side note I'm guessing the other fault code is VANOS related, I've cleaned the solenoids a couple of times but I have had hesitation/power loss, probably time to replace them.

For the water pump, any recommendations on the best place to get one? ECP has one for a reasonable price.
This seller has been recommended in the past: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161667810944
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S