Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thermostat Query

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
leeward

Thermostat Query

Post by leeward » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi all

Recently I've had some over heating problems on my 56 plate 3.0SI Coupe. It's been diagnosed as a water pump problem which has now been replaced. They suggested that I have the thermostat replaced at the same time. However, they had difficulty finding a match. Apparently the one on the car, which I guess is the original, is metal whilst the replacement (they've tried two, including one from BMW) are plastic. Not a problem in itself but the lugs don't line up and it would mean possibly damaging the pipes to fit it.

Currently, the car seems to be running OK with just the pump replaced but it's a bit worrying if the thermostat does fail in the future.

Has anyone come across this? Is there a fix?
Black Sapphire 3.0 SI Coupe born on the 25 Aug 2006 - complete with forum stickers

@

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Thermostat Query

Post by ph001 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:42 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. I've never known a stat to fail on the N52 - looks to be a very high quality item.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Chris1981

Thermostat Query

Post by Chris1981 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:06 pm

I recently replaced a thermostat on a 3.0si and had this very issue... original was metal new one was plastic!

The pipes you'll be struggling with are the ones with spring clips I'm assuming, one large and one small! The lugs on the pipes lined up fine but couldn't get it to seat far enough in so refitting the retaining springs was a problem! The small pipe went on with a dab of washing up liquid and brut force... the larger one has an o-ring and a spacer in the pipe opening, by ditching the spacer but keeping the o-ring and the same washing up liquid and brut force approach it went in just fine!

I think the plastic ones a slightly different design to the metal and have the spacer incorporated!?

But as ph001 has pointed out I think you'll be fine as the thermostat hadn't failed, they are electrically operated so don't fail like the traditional type do! 👍🏻
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

leeward

Thermostat Query

Post by leeward » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks for the answers. Reassuring to know that I wasn't the only one and also that I should be alright.

Cheers!!
Black Sapphire 3.0 SI Coupe born on the 25 Aug 2006 - complete with forum stickers

@