Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New springs - noises

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Sootydog

New springs - noises

Post by Sootydog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi, after finding a broken rear spring I have now replaced both rear springs. I now have a few creaks and noises from the rear end. All i did was to disconnect the damper, drop the suspension and remove the spring. Everything went back in OK and I cant see anything wrong with the installation. The springs didn't come with new rubber (?) pieces top and bottom, should I have replaced these at the same time?
Any ideas? Is there anything specific I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Joycey

New springs - noises

Post by Joycey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:35 pm

creaking/squeaking rear top mounts maybe? Can you describe the noise.

Sootydog

New springs - noises

Post by Sootydog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Joycey, sounds more like the spring is settling . I have had a really good look and nothing seems wrong or able to move. I can only think that I should have replaced the old "carriers"

Markos_Z4

New springs - noises

Post by Markos_Z4 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:53 pm

i have some rear clunk noise . . . .maybe its the same noise

maybe i have to check the top mounts !
i've read about it on zpost
it sounds like a spring but springs they are not broken
and i read about part nr. 13 on zpost for clunk noise http://www.realoem.com/bmw/nl/showparts ... 3321092247

if i have the time i will replace them with powerflex Rear Upper Arm Inner Bush [ number 17 in the list ]
M-Front & M-Rear Bumper / Aero Skirts / 9J + 10.0J 20 inch Barracuda Voltec T6 gloss black inox Lip / Custom Quad Exhaust / Gloss Black Painted Roof / Gloss Black Painted front Lip / M-Sport Suspension / M-interior

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/markos_z4/

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

New springs - noises

Post by MACK » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:13 pm

As you've undone the bottom shocker bolt was there any wear in the bottom shocker Bush and now they been disturbed theyre causing your noise oe havent quite been done up correctly etc.

Just for the benefit of anyone else reading this to remove the rear spring you don't need to undo the shocker. You can get the spring in and out by levering on just the trailing arm.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Markos_Z4

New springs - noises

Post by Markos_Z4 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:03 pm

you have a part number ?
MACK wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:13 pm As you've undone the bottom shocker bolt was there any wear in the bottom shocker Bush and now they been disturbed theyre causing your noise oe havent quite been done up correctly etc.

Just for the benefit of anyone else reading this to remove the rear spring you don't need to undo the shocker. You can get the spring in and out by levering on just the trailing arm.
M-Front & M-Rear Bumper / Aero Skirts / 9J + 10.0J 20 inch Barracuda Voltec T6 gloss black inox Lip / Custom Quad Exhaust / Gloss Black Painted Roof / Gloss Black Painted front Lip / M-Sport Suspension / M-interior

Silverzedtom

New springs - noises

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:01 pm

I’d whip them out, clean the rubbers and put them back in just to rule out them being incorrectly seated. When I swapped mine there weren’t any noises whilst they settled.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

New springs - noises

Post by MACK » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Markos_Z4 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:03 pm you have a part number ?
MACK wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:13 pm As you've undone the bottom shocker bolt was there any wear in the bottom shocker Bush and now they been disturbed theyre causing your noise oe havent quite been done up correctly etc.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but I think you mean the bushes at the bottom of the shocker that I mentioned. Unfortunately they aren't available seperately they are part of the shocker itself.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

New springs - noises

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:46 pm

If you removed it, did you do the bottom shock bolt up to spec? I cant remember what it was but pretty high and seem to remember needing to add Loctite.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Markos_Z4

New springs - noises

Post by Markos_Z4 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:02 am

thanks for reply !
i leave it for now next summer i go on airride all new front and rear i hope its over then !

MACK wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 pm
Markos_Z4 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:03 pm you have a part number ?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but I think you mean the bushes at the bottom of the shocker that I mentioned. Unfortunately they aren't available seperately they are part of the shocker itself.