Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

RF keyfobs range down to 15cm! (now sorted)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Magicarcher

RF keyfobs range down to 15cm! (now sorted)

Post by Magicarcher » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:56 pm

I am hoping someone else has experienced this and/or knows the solution.

My RF keyfobs to open/close the central locking will only work if they are held immediately in front of the interior mirror approx 15cm away on the passengers side of the interior mirror! No other position outside of the car works! Has anyone come across this.

It is the same for both my keyfobs, one has the original battery, the other I replaced with a new panasonic battery. Both were charged up for 12-16 hours in aux position, both work, but only from 15cm.

I have checked the voltage across pins 8 & 10 on the electrochromic mirror and it measured 11.95V when the battery voltage across the terminals was 11.99V so there would not appear to be a bad supply or bad earth. I charged up a new battery and replaced it in the vehicle with a 13.2V terminal voltage and tried again and this also made no difference.

The only thing I can think of is the RF receiver is not functioning in the mirror, but that is hellish expensive or I risk a SH one.
Last edited by Magicarcher on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Magicarcher

RF keyfobs range down to 15cm!

Post by Magicarcher » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:09 pm

In case anyone else should suffer this fate, I have now managed to sort it. After various tests I concluded the RF receiver/antenna on the interior mirror was at fault. I managed to pick up an interior mirror on ebay for £35 and installed it this afternoon (it was a late 2007 model so hopefully less prone to leaking). My keyfob range is now back to normal :)
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.