Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight washer cover fell off :(

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Richard!

Headlight washer cover fell off :(

Post by Richard! » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:50 pm

On the way into work I lost a headlight washer cover. Luckily it only came off a junction before the office so I was able to find it.

Unfortunately in the time it took for me to realise that it was missing and walking to the junction some one has driven over it. So not only is the bracket on the back broken but the paint is also damaged.

Phoned BMW for a replacement, for a painted one I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks!!! The did offer a plain one and a rattle can for next week, don't think so.

Anyway, I plan to order a painted one. In the mean time I want to fix my broken one and reinstall it.

Does anyone have instructions or a guide on installing the covers?

Thanks
Rich

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Headlight washer cover fell off :(

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:26 pm

No surprise they seem to pop off easily

Yes - reach inside the bumper cover and pull up the washer wiht fingers and thumb (it's hydraulic) locate one side of the corer on the the peg and clip the other on. Should take 30 seconds if you stop to put the kettle on to later relax and admire the result.

Ordering a pre sprayed - that's expensive. spray one up.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:29 pm

I got a bodyshop to paint mine - was told the 6-8 weeks wait as well...

turns out on mine the fixing it attaches too on the headlight washer was also broke so had to replace the headlight washer too :thumbsdown: That was a bumper off job too (howto on here somewhere)....

fitting the cover is quite straightforward if a little fiddly... you have to pull the pump head up and hold it out while fitting the cover. Takes quite a 'snap' to get it to stay in place...

If you arent sure if it's broken (the pump) I can take a picture of my broken one...
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Richard!

Post by Richard! » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:05 am

Thanks for the replies :)

The cover does seem expensive, they want £35. Unfortunately the nearest paint shop to me is useless. I imagine the cost would be similar if I buy the plain one and have it painted. Just need to be patient & see if I can fab up a new bracket for my damaged one.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:19 am

Richard! wrote:Thanks for the replies :)

The cover does seem expensive, they want £35. Unfortunately the nearest paint shop to me is useless. I imagine the cost would be similar if I buy the plain one and have it painted. Just need to be patient & see if I can fab up a new bracket for my damaged one.
This really is something to spray up yourself with a rattle can of coulour and one of lacquer. Warm garage or room and 10 minutes work. Being so small it will spray easily. Just clip it from underneath in something like a clothes peg to keep it level and off the newspaper, bench, etc.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Not that this helps you in getting another one, but it might help it stopping happening again...

I've deactivated my headlamp washers by removing the appropriate fuse as I was worried about the cover coming loose - it was a known issue with a previous car I owned (Renault Clio with xenons). I found them a waste of time, soaking the entire front end of the car with minimal effect of actually cleaning the headlamp lens, plus I rarely let the car get that dirty anyway. I realise they're required legally for MOT on xenon-equipped cars (I'm running halogens :() but it's easy to reinstall the fuse for the likes of MOTs. As I say, might be an option once you've fitted a replacement.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

Richard!

Post by Richard! » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:15 pm

I know what you mean about soaking the front of the car.

I found that if the headlights are off it won't use the headlight washers. While the weather was warmer ( >0 ) I would spray the window once before setting off with the head lights off. Not really an option now with the salty spray on the roads since I need to keep cleaning the window and the headlights clean every now and then.

I get the feeling that the cover had been broken in the past since it was never quite straight compared to the other side. It even looks like it may have been repainted. A new one would hopefully last a number of years.

Leon.

Post by Leon. » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Sorry to hear about this, what a PITA!
a11y wrote:Not that this helps you in getting another one, but it might help it stopping happening again...

I've deactivated my headlamp washers by removing the appropriate fuse as I was worried about the cover coming loose - it was a known issue with a previous car I owned (Renault Clio with xenons). I found them a waste of time, soaking the entire front end of the car with minimal effect of actually cleaning the headlamp lens, plus I rarely let the car get that dirty anyway. I realise they're required legally for MOT on xenon-equipped cars (I'm running halogens :() but it's easy to reinstall the fuse for the likes of MOTs. As I say, might be an option once you've fitted a replacement.
Great idea! Where can I find this fuse? :)

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:24 pm

I've just searched and couldn't find the info on it, but it's definately there...

IIRC it's one of the fuses in the fuse panel located above the glovebox (I think). I honestly can't remember :oops:
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

AJZ4London

Post by AJZ4London » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Get the part in then take it to your local BMW body shop. Ask them to paint it whenever they are doing a respray. Mine was done in a couple of days as black is common, I imagine grey is the same.
3.0i 54plate, Black Sapphire, Black Leather, Prof SatNav, 18" Ellipsoids.

Richard!

Post by Richard! » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:58 am

Yeah good idea.

Ricks_BMW

Post by Ricks_BMW » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:49 am

I had both headlight washer covers fall off my 2008 BMW during a cold and snowy period a couple of weeks ago. After some research, this appears to be a worldwide problem. The BMWLand website has numerous posts about owners losing headlight washer covers during a recent cold spell across Europe. One BMWLand comment states:

"BMW (Europe) have obviously conceded that it is a design fault by virtue of the fact that they are now treating it as a warranty claim"

My BMW dealer in Ohio (USA) estimated a replacement cost of around $550.00 USD to replace these covers! Why is BMW paying for the European repairs and not for the American repairs? BMW North America needs to take some responsibility for this defective design and cover the costs in the USA as well.

This is a serious safety issue for both the driver and other motorists dodging the defective parts flying off of BMWs on the highway.

BMW's factory warranty sucks :x

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:03 pm

This may sound random but i tried pulling one of my washers off today and its really stuck down - there is no way i could just pull it off without breaking the stalk under it.

Richard!

Post by Richard! » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:17 pm

If you get someone to activate the washers. You can catch the washer when it pops up then take the cover off.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:49 pm

aquazi wrote:This may sound random but i tried pulling one of my washers off today and its really stuck down - there is no way i could just pull it off without breaking the stalk under it.
If you have to do it on your own just lift it slightly wit your nails then once your fingers can reach under you can pull the jet up a couple of inches. The cover clips on backward/forward on one side and on a pin at the other on the svivel head. Real easy to take off and if clipped on correctly seem very secure.

Of course I'll lose one now :thumbsdown: