Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clarification on Wiper Problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
The Moo

Clarification on Wiper Problem

Post by The Moo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Just read the how to on sticking/non parking wipers. Wished I had read it before booking car into dealers for a fix! Now need to get them to confirm what investigations if any they have taken if any in deciding I need a new wiper motor before they fit it tommorow!

Question though when the wipers are malfunctioning would one expect the screenwash not to work as well?, because that is what is happening on my car.
2004 3.0 SE Manual Now gone but never forgotten!

Now running 2007 Audi TT Roadster 3.2 V6 S Tronic in Metallic grey with grey leather. OEM Sat Nav etc.

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Clarification on Wiper Problem

Post by PawnSacrifice » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:45 pm

Not sure... but I don't think so. If it's SK93's How To then this is to remove grease from the motor that is causing issues with the contacts in the motors. I suspect that the window washers are on a separate circuit.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Gorbash12346

Post by Gorbash12346 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:13 pm

do neither work?? if so then i'd expect that either the stalk itself is faulty or the SZL (the part where the wiring is passed through in such a way as to allow you to turn the wheel without tearing the cables out or having a pile of dangling wire) but hopefully they have looked into this.

Lewis

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:43 pm

as Gorbash12346 says, if you've got water in the tank, have checked the fuses, and the wipers aren't working at all, then it's very unlikely to be solved my howto.

if the wipers do move, but then jam, then it's time for my fix, and get the dealers to fix just the spray :)
:zzzz:

The Moo

Post by The Moo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:02 pm

They are adamant that the problem is wiper motor and that the solution is replacement. Asked what diagnosis was to reach this decision and was shown a print out from BMW diagnostic check list (I think) Asked if any stripping down and cleaning was done/consideration as per forum advice and it was made perfectly clear to me that this is not the BMW way, we do not use forum advice and so would I like the motor replacing or not. They also assure me that this will solve the intermittent wash/wipe problem too. I am told that the parts will have a 2 year guarantee.

I'm between a rock and a hard place. It's the day before Xmas Eve minus 5 degrees outside, so I have no time or inclination to start ripping the thing to bits and have very reluctantly agreed to them doing it their way. So all that remains is for me to liberally dose up with anal lube tonight when I go and pay the bill. :cry:

Oh and yes I have got a broken spring on the front, but as far as that one is concerned they can Foxtrot Oscar and I'll get a local garage to replace the lot with Eibachs in the new year. Will start rereading the forum info on that one shortly. And in other news, my cockpit leak won't leak for them (see my other thread)

Thanks to everyone for the advice given. Just wished I could have put it to better use......
2004 3.0 SE Manual Now gone but never forgotten!

Now running 2007 Audi TT Roadster 3.2 V6 S Tronic in Metallic grey with grey leather. OEM Sat Nav etc.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:28 pm

Having had a near miss the other day with my wipers failing in the outside lane during a sudden downpour, I've been looking through several posts about the wiper problem. Mine sometimes have the same parking/non-finctioning/intermittent thing as commonly described before...

So, I took it to bits and cleaned the grease off the contacts, as recommended, (it was rather greasy in there), but also checked the motor and switch whilst everything was off and unfortunately, the little spring-loaded magnets/contacts inside were broken up into small pieces, not sure why.

Car has done 80k miles, so not too surprised. But will need a new motor. BMW part is unforunately for the whole gubbins, wiper system, including motor, is 61_61_7_192_966 at about £160.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E85/R ... pe_system/

Will see if I can get the Valeo motor only. there is a part number on it 6_912_150.0 (seem a few digits short)....
3.0i SE Manual.

shongololo

Post by shongololo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17 pm

The same problem has cropped up on my '06. At first I thought it was extreme cold weather because it sorted it self out. Tonight coming home, I did a quick wipe ( down with the stalk) and they wouldn't stop or change speed if I changed teh control. They then stopped half way through the windscreen. After about 5 mins I could get them going again but they soon failed again in a differant postition. The water jet(squirter ) doesn't work either making me think it is electrical?

I couldn't find the other thread refered to here, can some on point me to it please.

Thanx

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:08 am

the one in my signature?

shongololo

Post by shongololo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Ah, thanx SK93... it's going in tomororw as it's under dealer warrenty. very annoting though.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:37 am

no worries - hope you get it solved either way :)