Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ashtray Panel - Removal

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Ashtray Panel - Removal

Post by ronk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:35 pm

I've got a 20p coin trapped underneath the ashtray lid mech' and after searching the forum notice I'm not the first. I've got the ashtray out, removed the screw and have uclipped the sides of the panel but it seems to have a good hold at the area above the switches. The lid still works without any problem but I'm reluctant to leave a foreign body where it may cause a problem later, however I don't fancy giving the panel it a heave and smashing it!

Any ideas?

ronk
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Ashtray Panel - Removal

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:57 pm

There's just one self tapper holding it in, visible one you lift the ashtray itself out
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

speedski

Post by speedski » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:13 am

yeah but I couldn't open the ashtray lid to get the ashtray out - bloody annoying.

There is one thing I would do first and that is take your clenched fist and 'thump' the side of the transmission tunnel just above the knee pad on the drivers side. and then do the same with the passenger side. You can be quite strong with this, make sure the lid of the ashtray is CLOSED when you do, as the lid is whats holding the coin in place.

I know the above from experience after spending HOURS trying to take the ashtray apart, I lost my temper, thumped the transmission tunnel and heard the little blighter chingle its way out of the ashtray mechanism...it gets wedged in the tooth slot int he back of the ashtray.
Used to Drive: BMW Z4 2.5i 2003 - SOLD 30/1/2010
Now Driving: 2009 120d MSport - 3Dr Sapphire Black
TheSIMonlyshop - my non driving hobby...

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:58 am

cj10jeeper wrote:There's just one self tapper holding it in, visible one you lift the ashtray itself out
Yes I know 'cos I've dropped the little burger (sic) down the void! :headbang:
A bit careless really - I thought it was a closed housing.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:01 am

speedski wrote:yeah but I couldn't open the ashtray lid to get the ashtray out - bloody annoying.

There is one thing I would do first and that is take your clenched fist and 'thump' the side of the transmission tunnel just above the knee pad on the drivers side. and then do the same with the passenger side. You can be quite strong with this, make sure the lid of the ashtray is CLOSED when you do, as the lid is whats holding the coin in place.

I know the above from experience after spending HOURS trying to take the ashtray apart, I lost my temper, thumped the transmission tunnel and heard the little blighter chingle its way out of the ashtray mechanism...it gets wedged in the tooth slot int he back of the ashtray.
I'll give that a bash! I think it'll be a better and safer bet than trying to get the panel out! :D