Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear knocking

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
PCBung

Rear knocking

Post by PCBung » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi All,

I've got a slight problem with my Coupe, i appear to have a knocking from the rear O/S. Its hard to describe but sounds just like when my E46 front bushes were worn.

Strange thing is the knocking only happens when driving slowly (20-30mph), across snow or little bumps etc but it does not when you hit a big pot hole or driving faster.

I have had it in at the dealers twice and they found no fault... any ideas??
3.0SI Coupe
Mods Done: Stubby, Z4 Valve Caps, Sound Generator Mod
Mods To Do: Cruise Control

James_G

Re: Rear knocking

Post by James_G » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:26 pm

Interesting, I had the same noise, and the same set of circumstances. I thought it was the rear hatch not sealing correctly, but.... the car is currently in the dealer as I type having this dealt with:

Yes, the dreaded rear spring failure, but the drive to the dealer this morning was whisper quiet (from the suspension anyway)

You would like to think that a dealer would have picked this up but I once had a 323i Touring that passed an MOT with a broken rear spring, so nothing is a given.
2006 Z4MC, Silver Grey with Red Leather - Sold
2001 Honda Accord SE Executive, Eternal Blue with Black - Soldiering on

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:34 pm

That's the one - broken spring.
Run a search on it for lots of posts on the solution, DIY replacement and alternative spring setup.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

PCBung

Post by PCBung » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Maybe mines on its way to breaking?

It does my head in listening to it knocking away when I don't have the stereo on.

Atleast im not alone with this problem lol
3.0SI Coupe

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:40 pm

If the broken piece has settled in the base of the spring mounting it's difficult to see and a cursory look by a BMW 'technician' will not always identify the problem especially if they haven't taken the wheel off. Make sure they get the vehicle off the ground and the rear wheels remove for a thorough check. I did this myself and then took it back and even though out of warranty they replaced FOC.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

PCBung

Post by PCBung » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:44 pm

Think I will get the car jacked up this weekend and take a look myself.

I orginally thought it would be the broke spring problem, but since BMW said it wasn't I went off that... bring on the weekend!
3.0SI Coupe

Z4coupebeaver

Post by Z4coupebeaver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:02 pm

This is not always as simple as springs or dampers. It will be interesting to hear how you go on.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:07 pm

Z4coupebeaver wrote:This is not always as simple as springs or dampers. It will be interesting to hear how you go on.
Of course but it's a real common problem, an easy one to check (if you do it properly) and eliminate before starting to look all over the suspension, exhaust system and then further afield for bits that knock but sound like they are in the rear.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:19 am

I have a similar sort of sound aswell and as far as I know the rear springs have never been replaced. Is there an easy way of telling if my springs have bust?
2004 BMW Z4 2.2i SE - Bright Red - Black Leather - Clear Brake Lights - Xenon Lights - Black Kidney Grills - Red Brake Calipers - Front Parking Sensors - 19" Redline LM Wheels - BMW Aero Spoiler - Eibach Pro Kit - Longlife Quad Exhaust System

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:38 am

Exactmax wrote:I have a similar sort of sound aswell and as far as I know the rear springs have never been replaced. Is there an easy way of telling if my springs have bust?
Yes - jack it up, take the wheels off and follow the coils visibly right tot he very ends. Typically the bit that breaks is the last 2" of the top end of the coil. REmember the end may be missing so look for a jagged end too.

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:02 pm

If it is the rear spring that is causing the knocking noise, then will it be covered under the BMW warranty? I bought the car second hand from a garage in Bristol - its a 2004 (54) 2.2, 40450 miles on the clock?

Is this something that could be done under BMW's warranty or am I back to the garage where I bought it from to settle the damage costs?
2004 BMW Z4 2.2i SE - Bright Red - Black Leather - Clear Brake Lights - Xenon Lights - Black Kidney Grills - Red Brake Calipers - Front Parking Sensors - 19" Redline LM Wheels - BMW Aero Spoiler - Eibach Pro Kit - Longlife Quad Exhaust System

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:10 pm

Exactmax wrote:If it is the rear spring that is causing the knocking noise, then will it be covered under the BMW warranty? I bought the car second hand from a garage in Bristol - its a 2004 (54) 2.2, 40450 miles on the clock?

Is this something that could be done under BMW's warranty or am I back to the garage where I bought it from to settle the damage costs?

Only if you have a BMW warranty? Original will have run out. If you bought the vehicle secondhand then it will only be covered (perhaps....) if the dealer/seller offered you a warranty OR you have since taken out another/BMW warranty.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

I have a three month warranty with the garage that I bought it from - RAC Mechanical Failure Warranty (or so its called!).... I will ring the garage that I bought it from on Monday. Warranty runs out at the end of Feb (eeeks)

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Exactmax wrote:I have a three month warranty with the garage that I bought it from - RAC Mechanical Failure Warranty (or so its called!).... I will ring the garage that I bought it from on Monday. Warranty runs out at the end of Feb (eeeks)
Great news. :thumbsup:

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Just an update, both of my rear springs have parts missing to them - great!!!! :x