Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Roof Dead

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Leon_in_uk

Re: Z4 Roof Dead

Post by Leon_in_uk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:43 pm

I'll take a pic at the plunger tonight and advise what I have done of you could help me please, will update on here tonight, your help is appreciated.
SOLD: 3.0 BMW z4 grey, 108's, 4 spot rears, clear indi's, zhp, cruise...
previous - seat leon cupra mk2 in red 240bhp
previous - Porsche boxster 2.7 manual, lapis blue 240bhp
previous- BMW z4 2006 2.0 m sport
Previous - mr2 mk3 silver

Leon_in_uk

Post by Leon_in_uk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:44 pm

So this metal thing presses the orange White thing in and the roof is supposed to work?

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Yes, that's exact principle!

I presume no update means it didn't work?

Leon_in_uk

Post by Leon_in_uk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:46 pm

No mate, finger off the button = orange light finger on = red light and clicking noise from the button but no sound what so ever!! I'm not convinced this is the motor, the button obviously works, thinking about it I did clean the drains last week and was prodding around with a hose end up the drains, could that of dislodged something?

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Gutted, was hoping it was gonna be the cheap, easy fix.

I'm afraid that's the only roof fix I know. Hope it turns out to be something simple.

Cheers
lance

Leon_in_uk

Post by Leon_in_uk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks mate, any other advice would be much appreciated.

Davespeed3

Post by Davespeed3 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:58 am

Drive to dealer, bend over customer service counter, apply lubricant ( from industrial size tub ) to back passage...and stand by!! Its just cost us a K to get the roof sorted, simple but very painful :cry:

Leon_in_uk

Post by Leon_in_uk » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:05 am

Ouch what was the problem?

Leon_in_uk

Post by Leon_in_uk » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:40 pm

Just tested my roof again after I have had to do it manually!! It worked for a couple o seconds sounded like it was dying then did... Is this defo my motor then, can't be electronic problems. Also where do I buy a motor from, best place please?

beacons

Post by beacons » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi Leon. As a fellow roof sufferer I've been following your probs closely. My roof will not go down. But if I retract it manually it will power close with no problems, motor sounding strong. Anyone out there with any clues? When asked to power down, no window goes down, no sound of motor, just orange light illuminates. By the way,I only bought the car privately yesterday. Hood worked perfectly when first test driven a week ago and on homeward bound journey yesterday. Failed for first time when I got home and ............yes when I was demonstrating my new car to the misses! Help save my marriage somebody!

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:25 pm

beacons wrote:Hi Leon. As a fellow roof sufferer I've been following your probs closely. My roof will not go down. But if I retract it manually it will power close with no problems, motor sounding strong. Anyone out there with any clues? When asked to power down, no window goes down, no sound of motor, just orange light illuminates. By the way,I only bought the car privately yesterday. Hood worked perfectly when first test driven a week ago and on homeward bound journey yesterday. Failed for first time when I got home and ............yes when I was demonstrating my new car to the misses! Help save my marriage somebody!
A bit late but anyway...orange (Amber) light means parcell shelf not down or faulty switch or wiring !

Mr.Shanahan

Post by Mr.Shanahan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Just stripped my whole roof, fixed the motor only for everything to not be working. Fortunately, this post just saved me a whole load more trouble...
2.2 on 18 x 8.5 & 18 x 9.5 Japan Racing JR-10. Lowered on SPAX RSX coilovers. Angel eye conversion and de - ambered rear and side indicators. Carbon BMW badges.

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:06 pm

[quote="TheEasyGuide"]

5. I have pulled the plastic gromit in the middle of the boot that seems to be attached to a piece of string but I have no idea what this did apart from the string not retracting fully again when putting it back to its original state

Can anyone answer this please?

My battery was flat as a pancake at the weekend so I've charged up, car started straight away but the roof wouldn't go up, I've put it up manually, after reading this thread, my amber light was also flashing, turned out to be the parcel shelf, I pulled the roof up manually but closed it using the button, if I press it again to put the roof down all it does is release it, not fold it down, I'm thinking there's not enough power in the battery?

I also pulled the plastic gromit thing in the boot and as above, don't know what it does and it's not retracted fully either, I'm off to get a new battery anyhow, it must be due one!

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Midhurstman

Post by Midhurstman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:09 pm

The hood has a 2nd small electric motor at the top of the windscreen/hood to operate the release of the hood that's what is releasing the hood at the top.The plastic red ring in the boot, when pulled and held back by a half turn, releases the main hood motor hydraulics(hidden below the hood) so that the hood can be opened and closed by hand, without being engaged with the motor and therefore locked.

It is important to make absolutely sure that the micro switch between the seat backs and shelf is definitely closing. If it is, it may be faulty and this should be checked. If the problem is with the switch and is subsequently fixed it is then important to check that the red ring(Bowden) is pushed fully home as this often sticks badly. Hope this helps.

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:25 pm

Midhurstman wrote:The hood has a 2nd small electric motor at the top of the windscreen/hood to operate the release of the hood that's what is releasing the hood at the top.The plastic red ring in the boot, when pulled and held back by a half turn, releases the main hood motor hydraulics(hidden below the hood) so that the hood can be opened and closed by hand, without being engaged with the motor and therefore locked.

It is important to make absolutely sure that the micro switch between the seat backs and shelf is definitely closing. If it is, it may be faulty and this should be checked. If the problem is with the switch and is subsequently fixed it is then important to check that the red ring(Bowden) is pushed fully home as this often sticks badly. Hope this helps.

Thanks I'll have a look, everything was working fine until my flat battery, I've just changed it btw for a Bosch AGM from Euro car parts, £132 inc vat which I didn't think was too bad, car starts straight away however the roof just unlatches, I can hear the motor though :? The grommet thing in the middle of the boot with string still hasn't retracted though, maybe I shouldn't have pulled it :D I'll go and have another look :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA