Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Roof Dead

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
TheEasyGuide

Z4 Roof Dead

Post by TheEasyGuide » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi

I have a 2003 Z4 3.0 and used it a couple of days ago without any problems. I keep it garaged and for the first tine ever left it in the garage with the roof down.

I used it today finaly a sunny weekend and when I got where I was going the roof wouldnt come up. I havent had any issues with the motor or a slow roof but the button now doesnt light up and there is no noise from the motor at all. Its just as if the button doesnt do anything.

I thought maybe a fuse was gone but when I eventually figured out how to find the fusebox they all looked ok.

I have read through the forums on this and have tried

1. pulling the red hydraulic release thing. This doesnt seem to move that much on mine I have given it an almight pull and was worried I may do some damage but it didnt seem to do anything.
2. There are two circular levers either side of the roof that when you turn seem to try and lift the roof a bit but then come back down,.
3. I had someone in the car holding down the button when I messed around with the above but nothing
4. I have pushed the release in the centre column that seems to unclip the roof from the housing but when you try and manually lift the roof it seems to resist so I am guessing the hydraulic release thing hasnt worked
5. I have pulled the plastic gromit in the middle of the boot that seems to be attached to a piece of string but I have no idea what this did apart from the string not retracting fully again when putting it back to its original state

one forum thread said a centre contact needs to be made for the roof to work but I couldnt see where this was.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, apologies if I am missing the obvious but I am facing a trip to a dealer and the last one cost me £1000 for a service and MOT so I would rather avoid the pain again if possible,

Especially as I have only done a hundred miles or so since last July.

Expense things these second cars arent they

Help!!!

stirz

Re: Z4 Roof Dead

Post by stirz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:45 pm

Sorry to hear about your problem with your roof ive been there so know how you feel , did you check the parcel shelf micro switch in the boot ? if its ok then it seems to be the bowden switch on the pump thats not depressing when you pull the bowen cable that why you cant move the roof , trust me it not that difficult to remove hood and relace the motor and one, you are going to save lots of hard earnt and proberly do a better job .....good luck
2003 2.5 se Sapphire Black ....... eibach springs , stubby , cruise control , led boot light , clear third brake light , zhp gear knob , ice ipod aux

TheEasyGuide

Post by TheEasyGuide » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:00 pm

stirz wrote:Sorry to hear about your problem with your roof ive been there so know how you feel , did you check the parcel shelf micro switch in the boot ? if its ok then it seems to be the bowden switch on the pump thats not depressing when you pull the bowen cable that why you cant move the roof , trust me it not that difficult to remove hood and relace the motor and one, you are going to save lots of hard earnt and proberly do a better job .....good luck
Hi stirz thanks for your reply and help.

probably sounds daft but I couldnt find the parcel shely micro switch to check it. Where is it located I can see anything that looks like a switch. I am hoping its not the motor as it reading the other threads it sounds like you normally get some signs of reduced performance prior to them packing up.

stirz

Post by stirz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:23 pm

I had no signs of my faulty motor just decided not to work .......your swicth is in the middle of your parcel shelf(in the boot ) you will see a black tear drop shape switch thingy with a small metal spring (under the parcel shelf )that is conected to the micro switch that tells the roof to activate or not too as if your parcel shelf is in the upper position there is no room for it to go into ie will not work hope this helps
2003 2.5 se Sapphire Black ....... eibach springs , stubby , cruise control , led boot light , clear third brake light , zhp gear knob , ice ipod aux

TheEasyGuide

Post by TheEasyGuide » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:37 pm

AH yeah I see it now. I have lifted it and heard the switch click. Had someone on the switch whilst I moved it back and forth so doesnt seem to be this. I guess this leaves the motor then. B*ll*cks!! :headbang:

I will have to take to a dealer and see what they say then as I am not the most handy DIYer in the world

Cant believe this car has been a bloody money pit. I think I probably lead the forum in money spent to miles done. I thought the germans built reliable cars

Still love the engine noise though so its not all bad.

Thanks for your help stirz - top forum this.

Davespeed3

Post by Davespeed3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:52 pm

''Cant believe this car has been a bloody money pit. I think I probably lead the forum in money spent to miles done. I thought the germans built reliable cars''

The Germans do build reliable cars, the Z is built in the states...hence my G/F has just txt me that the top is stuck down

Leon_in_uk

Post by Leon_in_uk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Can somone tell me where this button is please?? In the boot, is it behind the carpet or something??
SOLD: 3.0 BMW z4 grey, 108's, 4 spot rears, clear indi's, zhp, cruise...
previous - seat leon cupra mk2 in red 240bhp
previous - Porsche boxster 2.7 manual, lapis blue 240bhp
previous- BMW z4 2006 2.0 m sport
Previous - mr2 mk3 silver

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:38 pm

The Micro switch is in the boot, on the back of the panel behind the seats, in the middle. It is a black plastic concave thing. Within it, and you can see it if you look carefully, you can see a metal clip, it's this that works the micro switch.

Make sure the roof boot level thingy is in its down position, as this activates the switch.

Mine went a few weeks back, roof up fine, then nowt at the button at all :x , microswitch had broken.......£18 for a new one, 5 mins to fit.

Leon_in_uk

Post by Leon_in_uk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:11 pm

I can see the plastic thing that holds the shelf down? And a little silver clip springy thing, but that doesn't do anything, is it behind the carpet or something? Any pics mate?

Leon_in_uk

Post by Leon_in_uk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Just got it, yep the spring was pressed in when the top was up so it's not the switch is it? Red light still comes on when I press the hood button, just no movement and no motor noise!!! I only had the car 2 weeks!! :(

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:01 pm

When my micro switch broke there was no roof noise whatsoever.

Might be worth taking the micro switch out to check? Very easy, although a bit awkward due to location, just need a torx screwdriver and half ounce of common :thumbsup:

The boot/roof extender thingy is in the down position isn't it?

Leon_in_uk

Post by Leon_in_uk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Yea but you put the roof up a bit to locate the spring don't you? What shall I expect when I undo it to look mate?

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:25 pm

That's right, you have to push the roof up a little to get access to the switch, but the extender must be in the lower position when pressing the roof up/down button.

The switch should make sense once out. The metal clip pivots on two little hooks, which the clip moves back and forward on, to activate a tiny plunger when pressed.

The boot extender drops in place, hits the clip and depresses the plunger, which then makes an internal connection, allowing the roof button to work.

Once you have the switch in your hand (but still wired in), press the plunger and get someone to try the roof button (ignition on).

Leon_in_uk

Post by Leon_in_uk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks mate I'll have a go tonight fingers crossed this is it.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Davespeed3 wrote:''...hence my G/F has just txt me that the top is stuck down
my last g/f asked how to get the roof down, she did not understand what a coupe was :)