Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Indicator stuck on always on

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Dofus

Indicator stuck on always on

Post by Dofus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Hello !

my left front indicator is stuck on always on, I got a "light faulty" indicatior in the dash.

Its always on, but if I engage the hazard flashers it flashes, or if I enable left or right indicator it works as its supposed to, but It won´t disengage.

Not even if I pull the key out of the ignition it disengages. Only way to shut it down was to lift the battery for a couple of seconds.. Then it´s fine until I either start the car or touch the indicator lever..

I´ve tried to find a relay but was told there is a module handling all the lights, any ideas on where this part is situated and how I can find out if it´s faulty !

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Indicator stuck on always on

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:13 pm

I think you'll find you have a sidelight or other bulb out. Check them all first, starting in the headlight with the indicator on.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Dofus

Post by Dofus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Checked all the bulbs, and they all light up, Could a "semi-broken" bulb cause this type of behaviour ?, even when the ignition is off ?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:18 pm

Sidelights, foglights, reversing, number plate?? Chacked them all.

One of the indicators lighting up ofen is the sign of a dead bulb.

Sure it could be picking up a poorly grounded bulb
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Dofus

Post by Dofus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Just to be clear.. It´s my left turn-signal indicator in the headlight that is always on.. aswell as the faulty bulb indicator in the dash.

I´ll go over all the lightbulbs and report back.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Yes - and iirc it will be half illuminated and therefore glowing amber to indicate a bulb fault. If not the bulb then oyu;ll be looking at the wiring connectors, loom or possibly the LCM that is the module ont he back of the light switch. If not a bulb then it's a case of hooking it up to a diagnostic to identify where the fault is.

Dofus

Post by Dofus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Did some more investigation today, Only "faults" I can find are that the left angel eye doesn´t light up, anyway it ended with that I wasn´t able to figure out how to get to the indicator bulbs without removing the whole unit, so I just disconnected the whole lamp, so now I´ll atleast won´t burn out the battery over night.

Prob try to drive by BMW tomorrow and get it scanned for fault codes..

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Seems highy likely that that's what it'll be then.

BTW to get to the indicator bulbs, just open the under the wheelarch inspection hatch. Unclip the rear of the light the wriggles out and then you can reach in for the various bulbs. No need to remove the unit.

Dofus

Post by Dofus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:47 pm

But a faulty angel eye shouldnt leave the indicator on for "ever-ever and ever" ? If this is by design I wonder whats next ? I run out of fuel and it explodes ? :)

Did some more digging and was able to remove the bulbs.. odd solution that required a philips head screwdriver to remove the bulbs-holders.. but now I atleast have 2 working headlights and a very speedy left blinker, And just a little bit more knowledge about my zed !

edit: Smiley overdose

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Well you got there int he end and thus avoided and expensive dealer trip to offer to 'diagnose' and then fit you a bulb. I actually think it's a pretty clever visual sign of which bulb is out.

Dofus

Post by Dofus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:15 pm

We´ll see. Any ideas on how to remove the angel-eye bulb ?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Dofus wrote:We´ll see. Any ideas on how to remove the angel-eye bulb ?
Sorry - thought you were saying you'd fixed it. My bad in not reading clearly.

Different headlight to mine, but it should be just a 5w bulb slotted in from the back of the light on a long stalk. Grip it with fingers or long nosed pliers.

Dofus

Post by Dofus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:10 pm

seems that bmw have bundled it with some sort of custom socket.

I´ll report back when it´s changed.

Dofus

Post by Dofus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:09 am

My BMW-dealer thought it was the angel-eye also, orderd a new one, €27 .. Hope it´ll do the trick !

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:43 am

The angel eye bulb does just twist and pull out... but much easier to use long nose plier to get at.. had a apply a bit of force to get mine out... at that price you could have got some nice LED ones which light up white and not yellow.