Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SoftTop Failure

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

SoftTop Failure

Post by Shipkiller » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:02 am

Walked out from the office and tried to open the top, no go. Opened the trunk, and found my tool bag had moved the 'convertible top compartment floor' up a little bit. Moved the tool back out of the way and now the top opens.

Drove home with the top down. Shut the top, washed the car.

Then I tried to open the top. No go. Just had a orange light. No relay clicks, or other noises. The windows did not even move. :o

Cycled the 'floor' up and down a couple of times but no dice. Ok, now lets find out whats up. Starting to get just a little bit worried due to all of the posts about bad electrical motors....

Checked all three fuses. They are good.
Unlocked the front of the top manually, hit the red release in the trunk and opened the top up. It opens very easy so it's not a binding problem or foreign debris problem in the mechanism.

Now to see what happens, I press the close button. Hey, the top closes normally. Ok, it's not the motor.... :D

It has to be a microswitch. Ok, where is that 'convertible top compartment floor' switch.

Went looking in my BMW shop manual. Found it. But now it is getting too dark to work.

I guess my Thanksgiving will be spent NOT watching football or playing on the computer, it will be fixing the Z.

I have PDF's of the removal and replacement (right out of the shop manual) but I have to go figure out how to post them...
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Re: SoftTop Failure

Post by WLH » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:05 am

Have a happy Thanksgiving... :P
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Color

Post by Color » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:11 am

You are sooo helpful WLH!! :poke: :lol:

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:36 am

WLH wrote:Have a happy Thanksgiving... :P
Image...Really, you know we care Ship. Please let us know when you get it fixed in the event any of us have the same issue. You have a warranty yes?
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:42 am

My car is out of warranty, but I bought an aftermarket warranty ( after lots of research). I don't want to use it just yet. It is too soon and I don't want to raise any eyebrows about this being an existing problem..

It has to be a switch.

How to I post PDF's . I have all the shop material. I just print them out in PDF format.

I would put them on my home webserver, but I would have to do some Apache reconfigs and don't want to do that yet.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:51 am

Shipkiller wrote:How to I post PDF's . I have all the shop material. I just print them out in PDF format.

I would put them on my home webserver, but I would have to do some Apache reconfigs and don't want to do that yet.
If you e-mail them to me I will host them and send you the link to post... :thumbsup:

[email protected]

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:01 am

Ok WLH.

Let me try to get them in some coherent format.

I may just have to play with my Apache configs and host them myself later on.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 am

Shipkiller wrote:Ok WLH.

Let me try to get them in some coherent format.

I may just have to play with my Apache configs and host them myself later on.
Ok...I will be happy to host them until you can. Just send me PM when you e-mail them as I don't check that account everyday.

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Shipkiller wrote:Walked out from the office and tried to open the top, no go. Opened the trunk, and found my tool bag had moved the 'convertible top compartment floor' up a little bit. Moved the tool back out of the way and now the top opens.

Drove home with the top down. Shut the top, washed the car.

Then I tried to open the top. No go. Just had a orange light. No relay clicks, or other noises. The windows did not even move. :o

Cycled the 'floor' up and down a couple of times but no dice. Ok, now lets find out whats up. Starting to get just a little bit worried due to all of the posts about bad electrical motors....

Checked all three fuses. They are good.
Unlocked the front of the top manually, hit the red release in the trunk and opened the top up. It opens very easy so it's not a binding problem or foreign debris problem in the mechanism.

Now to see what happens, I press the close button. Hey, the top closes normally. Ok, it's not the motor.... :D

It has to be a microswitch. Ok, where is that 'convertible top compartment floor' switch.

Went looking in my BMW shop manual. Found it. But now it is getting too dark to work.
Problem has been fixed, temporarily.

It was the 'convertible top compartment floor' switch. This switch is only used to LOWER the top. Not to raise it.

Removed the floor panel and the switch. Before I removed the switch I actuated the switch and had my trusty helper (wife) press the 'down' button. Works like a charm.

Heres the switch assembly.

Another view showing the actual switch.

The back of the switch.

Heres the floor panel out of the car. Notice the switch actuator nub on the bottom of the picture.

As you can see in this next picture how the floor panel nub rides in the recess. But looking closer, you can see that in this instance the floor tab cannot hit the switch. The actual switch is not adjustable on its mount.
The tab on the floor panel does not appear to have any damage to it. Something is not right here.

My thoughts are that there is a removable tab that attaches to floor panel tab that does the actual pushing of the switch. Or there is a piece of plactic that is attached to the switch housing that has broken off.
I looked all over the car and in my tool bag to see if I could find it. No dice. It's gone.

To make it work, I took a single strand out of a 12 gauge stranded wire, about 3/4" long and made a jumper. Put the jumper in the switch connector. I can now use the top normally.
I put the floor panel back in the car but not the switch assembly.
I will have to go up to BMW tomorrow to see what piece really goes there.

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:40 pm

Nice find
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:45 pm

Good to see you got it working.... :thumbsup:

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:20 am

Great writeup! Will be benificial to someone looking to fix a problem in the future :thumbsup:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Citation 650

Post by Citation 650 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:14 am

It's a really poor picture, but this is the nub (shelf still in the package). Doesn't look like your missing anything.

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:37 pm

Something must be broken on the switch housing....

Thanks for the back up.

Zeefour

Post by Zeefour » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:13 pm

look in your trunk closely, the little leaf-spring that actuates the switch has come off. Its about 1 inch long and looks like the silver clip used on an ink pen to clip to your shirt pocket. when you lower the shelf it presses this leaf-spring against the button and the top cannot be lowered, when you raise the shelf the leaf-spring is released and the top can operated. Click on the link below its number 7

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=61&fg=35
03 3.0i, 03 AMG E55