Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cleaning and knocking

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
glad46

Cleaning and knocking

Post by glad46 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Hey everyone

I'm having a few problems with my zed...

This maybe a silly question but just wondering how people with wind deflectors clean the inside bit of the rear of the window? I have some strange orange marks on my window but the wind deflector is in the way when the roof is up and the window gets folded down with roof?

Secondly in getting some strange knocking sound coming from the front of my car. I took it to the garage I bought it from as its under warranty... They had my car all weekend and they said they heard the noise I described but couldn't find anything broken with my car, so couldn't claim on the warranty. They said they spoke to BMW but they said they have never had a problem like that with a z4. It only seems to make the noise when I'm turning. I thought it maybe the front springs but the garage checked them and said they were fine... :(
Z4 Roaster ,2003, 3.0i, Sterling Grey

fixit man

Re: Cleaning and knocking

Post by fixit man » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 pm

I can help you with the first part..just take the wind deflector off and clean the window..just 2 little buttons to push down and lift it off.

As for the second problem, just keep taking it back until they find it...you're obviously not imagining it !

Maybe you could drive it with the mechanic beside you, you know when it happens so you can simulate the noise and he can listen !

nightyard

Post by nightyard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:45 pm

could be the engine struts?
pop the bonnet and tighten them
Current : 640D M Sport & F30 320D
Previous: e39 3.0i, e86 3.0i, e85 3.0i, e46 m3, mk1 Audi TT, e92 2.0D

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:59 pm

I can help you with the first part..just take the wind deflector off and clean the window..just 2 little buttons to push down and lift it off.

As for the second problem, just keep taking it back until they find it...you're obviously not imagining it !

Maybe you could drive it with the mechanic beside you, you know when it happens so you can simulate the noise and he can listen !

OOPS Computer glitch here !!
Last edited by fixit man on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glad46

Post by glad46 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Ah! Cheers didn't realise it was that easy to remove the deflector!
Yeah was thinking maybe it was the struts, going to check them at the weekend when I can borrow a torque wrench.

Thanks for the help guys :)

glad46

Post by glad46 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm

Got the torque wrench out and tightened the strut tower bolts and the strut brace to the engine bay... everything was very loose and I have one broken strut tower bolt. I tightened every thing up and it feels so my better to drive and the knocking noise has stopped, just got to get that bolt replaced now. Thanks again for the help

SUUNTOBOB

Post by SUUNTOBOB » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:53 pm

nightyard wrote:could be the engine struts?
pop the bonnet and tighten them
+1
Z4 Roadster 3.0Si gone :( :(
325 SE Auto Steptronic E90 gone :( :(

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:38 pm

glad46 wrote:Got the torque wrench out and tightened the strut tower bolts and the strut brace to the engine bay... everything was very loose and I have one broken strut tower bolt. I tightened every thing up and it feels so my better to drive and the knocking noise has stopped, just got to get that bolt replaced now. Thanks again for the help
Good result :) ...doesn't say much for the garage does it ?

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:06 pm

fixit man wrote:
glad46 wrote:Got the torque wrench out and tightened the strut tower bolts and the strut brace to the engine bay... everything was very loose and I have one broken strut tower bolt. I tightened every thing up and it feels so my better to drive and the knocking noise has stopped, just got to get that bolt replaced now. Thanks again for the help
Good result :) ...doesn't say much for the garage does it ?
:roll: -glad you found the problem
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.