Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight Problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Nova2k7

Headlight Problem

Post by Nova2k7 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:05 am

Ok so i had a sidelight out on the drivers side. stuck a new bulb in and it still wont work, sometimes the light on the dash is out and other times its not. all the wires have been checked and seem fine. my mechanic friend seems to think its something to do with the ECU still thinking the bulb has gone so wont sent power to it. also the indicator stays on sometimes?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Headlight Problem

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:16 am

You don t specify halogen or xenon.
In any event easiest is to swap light units side to side and see we're the fault lies.

If xenon swap over ballasts and igniters too, to eliminate item at a time.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:17 am

cj10jeeper wrote:You don t specify halogen or xenon.
In any event easiest is to swap light units side to side and see we're the fault lies.

If xenon swap over ballasts and igniters too, to eliminate item at a time.
ill be honest i dont know which they are, they are just the crappy normal ones on a 2003 E85 3.0SE

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:02 pm

The "ECU" (would be the lighting module actually) could not control power to individual lamps, only the entire circuit. There's no reason to cut power to a dead lamp anyway, the resulting open circuit (broken filament) does a good job of that by itself. Either the new bulb is faulty (swap lamps as CJ suggests) or the wiring is faulty, despite outward appearances. There's a fair chance corrosion inside the connector is causing a dodgy connection, if I were to make a wild guess.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)