Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat Nav screen not flipping up

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mauricechavez

Sat Nav screen not flipping up

Post by mauricechavez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:02 pm

I've searched this site and google, but I haven't been able to find a relevant post to cover my query.

My sat nav screen suddenly refused to flip up and open fully. It moves up a quarter way up (if that), then jerks back down, and sometimes it doesn't flip up at all although you can see it "trying". I've tried switching engine on or off but with no success either.

Hope someone knows about this problem and knows a solution?

pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: Sat Nav screen not flipping up

Post by pvr » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:07 pm

Known issue, step motor has gone. Screen replacement required.

Car under warranty?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mauricechavez

Post by mauricechavez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:24 pm

Car's not under warranty, it's the old style z4 (e85).

Must admit I'm a bit of a layman when it comes to this, so some simpleton questions I'll need to ask:
why would there be a screen replacement required? is this the can windscreen or the sat nav screen?!
where is the step motor located?
how much does it cost to fix it up?
can it only be done by a bmw dealership, or anyone in the know if it's more of a generic problem
you mentioned it's a known issues - have the details on this been posted somewhere that i've overlooked?!

thanks for the quick reply too

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Satnav screen only, unit on ebay about £70 - £120.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:35 am

as pvr said, and it is a easy diy job to change

mauricechavez

Post by mauricechavez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:08 am

Guys - thanks for your responses. I found a few more threads searching for 'stepper motor', but nothing detailing exactly what would need to be changed and how.

I'm planning to hand the car back to the independent I purchased it from. He agreed it needs a fix up, and initially thought that the mechanism was catching/ needed lubrications. Although me being a paranoid one, I'd like to know exactly what the problem is so I can give him my thoughts and make it hassle-free for him since knowing my luck someone could take the car apart trying to investigate it if they don't know about it.

Am I right in thinking the stepper motor is 'inside' the screen and that's why it would need replacing?

Srhutch, are there any diy instructions available in the internet you could point me to? (I've searched a lot beforehand - promise!)

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:03 am

Stepper motor inside screen, can not be repaired.

To replace it:
- Remove vent above radio
- Remove 2 screws which are connected to the two legs of the screen.
- Remove plastic cover on top of the monitor nearest to the windscreen as there are 3 screws underneath there.
- Remove those 3 screens.
- Disconnect connector of the screen.
- Lift screen out of dash.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:05 am

Air vents out first then two screws to remove the radio then you can access the two screws to remove the sat nav screen

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Mauricchaves,

Welcome to the Forum. Sorry to see your first post is asking for help with a pem but looks like the guys have offered you a solution. Put a bit in the Newbie section and tell us about your Zed. :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

mauricechavez

Post by mauricechavez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Guys - thanks for your help. I'm not expert when it comes to replacing things like this, so I hope(!) that when the motor gets fixed it's a straightforward job for them.

AlanJ - I'm on to it. I've actually been using this site as the bible whilst hunting for a z4 probably for the last 4-5 months, and finally went for the plunge earlier this week. Everything on the car appeared fine, though while the dealer was doing his final 'how everything works' chat before I drove off - the sat nav played up (annoyingly). He was at least there when it happened and did say to come back to get it fixed when it would be convenient for me - but I've seen how small things can escalate to a major annoyance!

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:51 pm

mauricechavez wrote:Guys - thanks for your help. I'm not expert when it comes to replacing things like this, so I hope(!) that when the motor gets fixed it's a straightforward job for them.

AlanJ - I'm on to it. I've actually been using this site as the bible whilst hunting for a z4 probably for the last 4-5 months, and finally went for the plunge earlier this week. Everything on the car appeared fine, though while the dealer was doing his final 'how everything works' chat before I drove off - the sat nav played up (annoyingly). He was at least there when it happened and did say to come back to get it fixed when it would be convenient for me - but I've seen how small things can escalate to a major annoyance!
Hope its gets sorted quickly so you can start to enjoy your Zed. :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

mauricechavez

Post by mauricechavez » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:42 am

I've been reading a few threads on this and at the risk of being a pain in the backside, can I just confirm a few things. Apologies if this sounds like an episode of Question Time, but I'm getting paranoid and want to make sure I've understood the process correctly.

(1) We've been using the term 'sat nav screen' that needs to be replaced in this thread, I'm assuming this refers to the whole 'sat nav unit' and not just the screen on the unit?
(2) Am I correct in saying the stepper motor is inside the sat nav unit , and therefore if the stepper motor goes (which I assume is inaccessible) it would mean the entire sat nav unit would need to be replaced.
(3) Do all sat nav units have the stepper motors built-in or can people be scammed, e.g. from ebay, by being sold just a 'shell' unit without the motor?
(4) Based on PVR's procedure - again am I right in thinking the old unit needs to be disconnected, and the new unit needs to be plugged in and that should hopefully make it work? (ignoring all the hassle in getting to the unit in the first place of course!)
(5) Finally, does anyone know of a reputable independent to the west of London that is familiar with this procedure and would quote a reasonable price/ I'm hoping to take the quote back to the person I purchased from.

Phew that's me questioned out

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:38 am

We are only talking screens here. The screen (monitor) has the motor in it that opens the screen, which is faulty. It will involve the replacement of the screen (monitor) only.

All screens (if described as working), have this motor in it. Replacement is about 15 minutes to do, so that will be your labour cost.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

PGF

Post by PGF » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Bit of a thread revival here as I think I might be in the same boat, on mine the screen sometimes moves up and others it doesn't. Am I likely to have the same issue?

I have gave it a push to get it up this morning (oooh errr), then it went up and down on the button alright (it wouldn't' do that before)

I'll be looking to take this back to the garage that I bought it from if so, I just want to be able to point them in the right direction. :? :(

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:34 pm

Yes sounds like the stepper motor in the screen on the way out. You need to replace the whole screen though.