Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help! Cruise Control Retrofit N52 not working.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Z4 TEX

Post by Z4 TEX » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:49 pm

After reading Jamie's excellent instructions http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 32&t=19242 in combination with the official BMW instructions I thought I would give the retrofit cruise a go.

I have followed all Jamie's instructiions step by step and have checked all wires are going to the right places, taking note to ignore the official BMW instructions to route to pin 4 in the 26 pin plug. Mine goes to pin 39 in the 42 pin plug in the DME control unit.

The only thing that I didn't do was to use the repair cable as the pin on the end of the black repair cable looks identical to the pin on the end of the long blue wire. I believe other people have had success not using the repair wire.

Anyone have any ideas? If my crimp connections were not done properly, would anything on the car not work, because all seems fine apart from the cruise not working. :( :( :(
Image Silver 3.0 Si Sport Roadster

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:42 am

Can't help much but confirm I used the cable 'as is' in 39 as you state ( in my coupe ) and worked first time - so suspect problem is at the other end.
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

Z4 TEX

Re: Help! Cruise Control Retrofit N52 not working.

Post by Z4 TEX » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Guiseley wrote:Can't help much but confirm I used the cable 'as is' in 39 as you state ( in my coupe ) and worked first time - so suspect problem is at the other end.
Thanks Guiseley, but panic is now over. Spent most of last night dreaming about how I fitted it and what could have possibly gone wrong. I finally concluded I'll have to try to black repair wire. So the morning popped the bonnet and hey pesto 10 mins later I'm cruising.

I actually think it may have been your post I read and decided to try the cable without using the black repair wire. So when it didn't work I was thinking of getting you to pop over to Farsley, as you only live up the road, to fix it for me. :poke: :wink:

Thanks again for all the excellent advice on the forum.

:ilz4f:

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Would have been happy to help - hope we'll meet up on a forum meet at some stage :driving:
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

Z4 TEX

Re: Help! Cruise Control Retrofit N52 not working.

Post by Z4 TEX » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Yeah, that would be good. Any Yorkshire meets in the pipeline?

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:23 pm

No doubt there will be something - might organise something myself based around Blakey ridge (ny moors) or buttertubs (dales) late spring. Malton run for ' big breakfast ' at easter?