Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Catalytic problem-

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Catalytic problem-

Post by andysat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi all,as some of you may know im having problems with the catalytic converter on the zed,my son was speaking to someone who used to work for the stealers,who said the cats are prone to cracking(can be welded up for £80 ish)-but the indy i went to said its because my cats going bad inside,he also said he was pinpointing the cat because of a bmw code of practise,-if the light comes on with a certain code(he never said what it was) its either the manifold,02 sensors or cat and as i have had the smoke test done and the manifod was not leaking,and he could not see the cat leaking even when fully hot, plus i have had the 2 sensors replaced by a process of elimination it has to be the cat at fault-any thoughts?,thanks.(would them running it until hot show up the same as me driving it at 60+ bearing in mind i would be sucking obviously more air in).
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Catalytic problem-

Post by Ewazix » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Andy, referring to my previous post it sounds like you are getting some better info now, if you were getting emissions lights/codes and had a cracked manifold that could fit the scenario I mentioned whereby an underlying fuel/ignition fault eventually corrupts the Cat'. What you've been told about cat faults frequently being due to repairable splits seems consistent with my experience, but cracks or splits are pretty apparent so it sounds like it's not that.

This leaves you with the prospect of needing the new Cat :( but replacing the cat may not cure the underlying engine emissions fault, if you do replace it be sure that a full system analysis is carried out on the engine.

BTW from what I discovered bargain Cats are available 'under the counter' but they don't conform with the 2009 regulations requiring all non OEM cat's to have an EU type approval mark and certificate - advertising or fitting these is a serious offence and may fail the MOT so avoid. It seems you can get type approved Z4 cats for under £200 each delivered which seems cheap! http://www.catalyticconvertershop.co.uk ... 4/2006/3.0
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Cheers for that mate,i seem to have a problem finding a 2.0 though :cry:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Andy - I've posted in the other thread. I think the cracking bit you've mentioned ties in with what I said about rapid cooling...
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Adamski wrote:Andy - I've posted in the other thread. I think the cracking bit you've mentioned ties in with what I said about rapid cooling...
Cheers mate,im wondering if when the indy got the zed hot to check for leaks,would doing this show up the same fault as when doing 60+ down the motorway?-because its dragging more air through?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 pm

I'll check with my mate. He's in Afghan just now, but I'll text him tomorrow (unless someone esle answers first).... :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Adamski wrote:I'll check with my mate. He's in Afghan just now, but I'll text him tomorrow (unless someone esle answers first).... :thumbsup:
Aww thanks mate.i appreciate the gesture.
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Thinking about it tho mate,i think i am clutching at straws,surely the indy would know what they are doing?-im just a bit suss tho with all this process of elimination malarky,how do they expect customers to keep throwing money at something until they have replaced every part of the process involved? :(
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Worth a second (completely independant) opinion?

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Thats what i thought,just have to wait for the light to come back on now :roll:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Surely there are some definitive tests to confirm bad cats? Measurement of input and output pressures will indicate if the matrix is obstructed. Same for measuring emissions to determine if the catalyst is knackered?

While it does sound like it couldn't be much else, I can't see blindly replacing cats without some sort of definitive evidence beyond "we can't think of anything else to do". For example, any chance one of the new sensors are defective? It would really suck to blindly replace the cats, only to find it was something simple, but unexpected.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:55 pm

bcworkz wrote:Surely there are some definitive tests to confirm bad cats? Measurement of input and output pressures will indicate if the matrix is obstructed. Same for measuring emissions to determine if the catalyst is knackered?

While it does sound like it couldn't be much else, I can't see blindly replacing cats without some sort of definitive evidence beyond "we can't think of anything else to do". For example, any chance one of the new sensors are defective? It would really suck to blindly replace the cats, only to find it was something simple, but unexpected.
Thats exactly what i said to the indy-could it be a faulty part?-no he said its brand new! :roll:
They actually showed me the bmw schedule stating in order parts to replace.
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Paying for their bloody parts usage is a pain in the arse, but for some parts, the labour to remove them and fit the original would be more than the part, and you never know if you have a combination of failing parts. The worst thing an engineer can hit is when one part takes out another and vice versa so you get into a vicious circle until you replace the entire system or subsystem in one go. Happens regularly in electronic systems.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Doubting it is the cat (fingers crossed)-reading on tinternet the symptoms of a bad one,rattling,knocking,bad smell,loss of power,mine shows none of these.
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

GaryH

Post by GaryH » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Cat failing is quite rare on any car unless youve done a lot of mileage or put the wrong fuel in !!! Then again, with these cars, anything is possible!!!
2006 2.0iSE