Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

handbrake warning light (yellow)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
valentino

Post by valentino » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:19 pm

This warning light appeared on the other day, apparently it glows yellow to indicate the brake fluid level is low, but it is fine. There are no other warning lights on, fluid is ok, pads ok and everything is working. Well I assume so because I am stopping. I have disconected the battery in the hope it might go away!

Any ideas? :headbang:
Love cars... hate people...!

valentino

Re: handbrake warning light (yellow)

Post by valentino » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 pm

maybe I should have renamed my post 'personal problems' - they seem to get more responses.... :thumbsdown:

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:45 pm

Sorry nobody's answered. I can't help but I would suggest you get it checked out. Don't mess about with your brakes, they're important!

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 am

valentino wrote:maybe I should have renamed my post 'personal problems' - they seem to get more responses.... :thumbsdown:
Lack of any response would surely mean that nobody has experienced your problem. As Carol has said would be safest for you to check this out with your garage. :wink:
2015 Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe 25th Anniversary Limited Edition (#0195), personal number plate
2005 Series 1 116i Sport, Titan silver, personal number plate

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:24 am

I don't seem to remember any symbol that means 'low brake fluid' myself.

People seem to like photo's, they also have the benefit showing the issue/light and remove any chance of misunderstanding :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:22 am

I think there is some confusion here as you mention ther 'handbrake warning light' rather than anything to do with the main hydraulic system. There is a warning light showing you handbrake is on and which also acts as a warning when the handbrake is released of low fluid in the reservoir. Also a warning light for brake pad wear. So can we assume its the handbrake warning light which when the handbrake is off is indicating low brake fluid?

So if the fluid is OK it may be the micro swith operating with the handbrake that is causing the problem. Perhaps a good starting point.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

valentino

Post by valentino » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:31 pm

mmm-five wrote:I don't seem to remember any symbol that means 'low brake fluid' myself.

People seem to like photo's, they also have the benefit showing the issue/light and remove any chance of misunderstanding :P
I thought it was pretty obvious and there was no need for a picture.... but maybe I need to explain more clearly.

The 'handbrake on' warning light glows both red (when it is applied)and, according to the handbook, if it glows yellow when the handbrake is off, signals that the brake fluid level is low. The brake pad warning light is different.

I will check the handbrake switch, as everything else seems ok.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:15 pm

valentino wrote:I thought it was pretty obvious and there was no need for a picture.... but maybe I need to explain more clearly.
Sorry, the 'photo' comment was an in-joke due to the prevalence of 'this thread is worthless without pics' comments on most other posts.
valentino wrote:The 'handbrake on' warning light glows both red (when it is applied)and, according to the handbook, if it glows yellow when the handbrake is off, signals that the brake fluid level is low. The brake pad warning light is different.
Is this the offending symbol?

If so, there's more info on another post on here.

However for this symbol (in yellow) my owner's manual says:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:49 pm

In conjunction with the stability light as shown, it means a DSC malfunction. Somehow different than total failure indicated with red brake light, stability and ABS lights on all together. But yellow brake alone, mmm-five is right, drive off failure. For low fluid, it will light up red, meaning stop and correct immediately. Or the handbrake is on. Yellow means keep going, be careful, get it checked soon. The section on the low fluid in the manual is less than clear.

For general reference, in some markets, the light simply says BRAKE instead of the symbol shown.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

valentino

Post by valentino » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:40 pm

cheers folks - hadnt noticed the hill hold wasnt working!

Im gonna have to check my book again, Im was sure it only mentioned fluid levels... less than clear, agreed!

DrNick

Post by DrNick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 pm

I had this problem - had the ABS/SP hydraulic pump replaced yesterday - be warned, its pricey! They say part was £1400 + vat. BMW paid 80% of part, I was left with bill of £430.
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!
2012 E89 Space Grey M Sport 2.0 Auto - need to update signature!

nay31911

Post by nay31911 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:22 am

I had this issue with my E89 sdrive35i after having new rear brake pads put on at a local garage which resulted in my electrical handbrake not working. Their generic diagnostics machine couldn’t rid the amber light so I took it to BMW and all they did was a thorough re-program which could also be some kind of software update. Problem solved. I live in Spain and it cost me just over 200 Euros. Hope this helps

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:14 am

You need to read this thread.... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100258
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

tug

Post by tug » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:08 pm

The O P had this problem 5 years ago, he's probably sold it by now! :lol:

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE