Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ESS supercharger problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mamasou

ESS supercharger problems

Post by mamasou » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:17 am

Hi to everyone!

I just recieved my package from Fedex with the supercharger for a 2004 2.5i Z4 and opened it up to have a view on the components.

Then I realized that it is impossible to know what it should be in the box, since there is NO PACKING LIST.

Also, in the CD they send me THERE ARE NO INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS SPECIFIC FOR THE Z4, but only for the E46 330i, in a folder named "Instruction manual BMW E46 330 TS1-2 MS43 and MS45".

Although the engines (M54) of the E46 330i and the Z4 2.5i are very similar, there are some differences as well. For example, there is not a power steering tank in the the Z4 and more importantly, the engine bay on the two cars is different and the IC radiator on the Z4 cannot be installed using the same method as described in the CD.

Another, disappointment was that there is NO WRITTEN WARRANTY accompanying the package!

And finally, there is a SMALL HOLE ON THE ALUMINIUM INTAKE OF THE SC that I have taken photos of it and will post them shortly. The hole seems to be the result of an air bubble during the molding procedure.

I sent an email to the guys over there to sort it out.

Hopefully they will respond.

Does anyone else had any experience with ESS stuff or even heard anything about their products?

Am I just being unlucky or ESS is just like that???

mamasou

Re: ESS supercharger problems

Post by mamasou » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:36 pm

The following pictures show a hole that is not see-through but it is still evident.

ESS reassured me that it is not a problem. Hopefully they know better.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:56 pm

mamasou, I only know of one on here who has done the ESS on a 3.0.

That hole in the intake doesn't look good to me, that's poor quality control, they shouldn't even be sending them out like that, unless it was done in transit?

azroadie

Post by azroadie » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:44 pm

I don't have a supercharger, but I have spoken with the ESS guys and actually just met one of them the other night at a car meet. Without owning the product (yet) , I can say that they have been extrememly helpful and more importantly, extremely honest about what I can and can't do with my vehicle and what to expect.

I did get a chance to ride in the supercharged Z4M and all I can say is WOW!!! You might want to look in M section post about ESS...all good reviews.

Also, did you know that you can put the TS3 system on your car...essentially turning it into a 3.0 and giving you you 400+ HP? It's not obvious on thier site, but I learned that last week.

Can't wait to hear how it drives after the install!!!
Supercharged Metallic Grey 2003 2.5i Z4 roadster, Sport, Premium, convenience, DICE Ipod, tinted winows, xenon, heated seats, clear bra, Falken FK452s, Supersprint Race Exhaust, modified CDV, ESS TS2 Supercharger

mamasou

Post by mamasou » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:23 pm

After reading posts regarding Schnitzer Superchargers having failed due to metal fatique I am going to insist for a replacement of the part.
After all it is a separate part that is bolted on the rest of the kit with 4 screws.

The answer I got from ESS regarding the hole was not very convenient:
"There is no hole in the intake. This is only in the outside of the metal. All our kits are pressure tested with 1,5 Bar before they depart from us. We pressuretest the whole assembly after it is bolted together. We can guarantee that the hole you are pointing out in the pictures will not cause any problems. "

As you can see in the photos this is a hole however you name it!

Regarding my request of a more detailed guide for installing the IC radiator, pumps, hoses on the Z4 I also got the following incomplete answer:
"The engines is the same in the E46 and the Z4. You will not have any problems installing this kit using this manual. If there is any problems during the install I will guide you thru the problems."

I dont expect a kit with such a high price tag to have poor support. Hope that ESS will eventually resolve the issue.
I will keep you updated.

plowy

Post by plowy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:59 pm

The air hole in the alloy will have no effect on the operation of the unit and ESS are right in what they say but i agree it should not have been sent out looking like that.

azroadie

Post by azroadie » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:24 pm

plowy wrote:The air hole in the alloy will have no effect on the operation of the unit and ESS are right in what they say but i agree it should not have been sent out looking like that.
ditto. I'm sure it will likely make no difference and ESS is willing to back that up so thats good. Still, if you're like me (and it sounds like you are) I'd wouldn't want any concerns or even hesitations after spending that kind of cash.
Supercharged Metallic Grey 2003 2.5i Z4 roadster, Sport, Premium, convenience, DICE Ipod, tinted winows, xenon, heated seats, clear bra, Falken FK452s, Supersprint Race Exhaust, modified CDV, ESS TS2 Supercharger

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Could they have filled the hole before sending it out, welded it or something, just to make it look a bit better?

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:03 am

If you use Alumiloy, then you can fill the hole, and blend it in and you will not even notice it is there, and the fill material (Alumiloy) is stronger than the base metal...

But they are correct, it is just a cosmetic defect...
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:26 am

I've fitted a variety of ESS kits mainly to E46 3.0, M3 and M3 CSL's but a few Z's also. The instructions have always been a bit vague to be honest and you have to use your initiative a lot of the time but if your really stuck they are very helpful on the phone. I will say that I have never seen a flaw like that in a casing before and if I were you I would want it replaced. It may hold pressure now but it's a flaw none the less and who knows what may happen after several thousand miles of vibration, pressure, expantion and contraction.

mamasou

Post by mamasou » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:39 am

Curtis wrote:I've fitted a variety of ESS kits mainly to E46 3.0, M3 and M3 CSL's but a few Z's also. The instructions have always been a bit vague to be honest and you have to use your initiative a lot of the time but if your really stuck they are very helpful on the phone. I will say that I have never seen a flaw like that in a casing before and if I were you I would want it replaced. It may hold pressure now but it's a flaw none the less and who knows what may happen after several thousand miles of vibration, pressure, expantion and contraction.
Curtis, you are right. I will insist on a replacement!

I believe that common sense says that when you spent 5000 euros on a kit that will fit on a 40000 euro car you dont expect a product with a defect right out of the box.

After all what it would be the cost to replace a 2 Kgs duralumin mold??

It is not a complex part of the kit with many components in it. It is just a simple hollow piece. A pipe for God's sake!

If they refuse to replace it, on whatever claims, they are acting really cheap to say the least.

mamasou

Post by mamasou » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:39 am

I will send them intake part with the defect on my charge and they said that they will replace it for free.

I believe that I can put it together without problem.

Of course that means that I lose my warranty but, unfortunately, I am left with no other option.

The reason for all this mess is the fact that ESS expects by its customers to pay 5000 euros and be happy accepting a product with a suspicious porosity casting defect.

Not to mention mismatching installation instructions (requiring missing info or steps to be ignored for a Z4) and other missing crucial papers.

If ESS paid attention to detail and had good quality control this would have never happened.

A serious company is not only the one that sells high-tech and expensive products but a company that knows when to apologize and accept its mistakes.

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:56 am

Ummm, ouch!!

They would not substitute the problem of the casting for free??? :x It is not a major defect, but as you said, you paid $XXxx for it, and expect a fully finished and showable product without defects!

I have looked at ESS for future upgrades, but if this is the service they provide after sale, then all bets are off!

Please let everyone know how this plays out. Thanks! :thumbsup:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:00 am

Hold on a bit,,,,,,this could be fun! :evil:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer