Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sticky steering problem. Time to sort it! Help and advice.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jamesbond

Re: Sticky steering problem. Time to sort it! Help and advice.

Post by jamesbond » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:19 am

Hello

Finally some one has successfully changed a pre face lift E85 to hydraulic steering ... well done :thumbsup:

This would be a great conversion business opportunity for some one (Machine Monkey ??) I am sure there would be loads of potential z4 owners who would love to have this done ... as you would end up with better steering then the EPS version in the 1st place.

Just one quick question .. did you leave in the steering angle sensor? which I have assumed you have as this is part of the dynamic control system (ABS etc )

regards
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

ianwill90

Post by ianwill90 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:30 pm

I have been through this over the last year since I bought my Z. Soon after purchase, I noticed I was suffering the issue you describe. To cut a very long story short, the UJ joint was greased (no change) ithen replaced (no change). When the car was on the ramp there was stiction when trying to move the steering from the road wheels. The column was disconnected from the rack and the problem remained, the source of this appeared to be the n/s track control arm, which was replaced as the ball joints within it were done. This obviously needed fixing but the sticky steering remained. The column was disconnected again from the rack and some stiction was noticed in the column, the rack remained "free". The column was replaced in late August with an exchange unit from BBA Reman (approx. £600 half paid for by the dealer I bought the car from) as I was not paying £2500 for a new one on a car only worth twice that amount. So far in the month since it was replaced I have not experienced any symptoms of "sticky steering". It would appear this is sorted now, with the reservation that the temperatures have not exceeded 20 eg C since then. The reason I mentionthis is that the original symptoms of "stickiness" kicked in at around 18-20 Deg C and
above, I have driven on days when I would have expected sticky steering from before but had no issue. Next summer is the next real chance to see, but I am fairly confident we are sorted now.
Last edited by ianwill90 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadster 3.0i 2003 Silver. Manual. Original.
18" 135 Alloys, French Fries and Whippy Aerial.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:46 pm

I have the parts on order for my own car. Not sure if its something i will be doing for others.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:03 pm

Machine monkey wrote:I have the parts on order for my own car. Not sure if its something i will be doing for others.
How about a £3000 fee ... because that's the amount to my a new column

so if I purchased another E85 preface lift would you do it for me for £3000 ?? pm sent

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:50 am

If you want to put £1k into my bank account i would do this for you or anyone else!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:09 pm

would this be £1k plus parts? or would parts be included ?

Z4 35is 2014

zedwheels

Post by zedwheels » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:17 pm

I had the same issue. Took it into Sytners for inspection who quoted me £3K for a new steering column.
What a joke! I removed the steering rack end rubbers. Greased up the cogs while had the both front wheels off the floor and turned the
wheels from left to right, back and forth to get the grease into the rack. refitted the rubber sleeves and used plastic ties to each.
Problem went away!! Simples,
Cheap fix have a go and let me know if it works for you too.

zedwheels

Post by zedwheels » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:28 pm

Just been reading all the posts and expensive possible solutions! Honestly guys, grease the steering rack before you spend.........

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:59 am

I have tried it all and my steering is still not good. I also feel that steering feel is a bit numb for a car of this type.
Thats the reason i am doing the conversion. I have also sourced all the bits for less than £100!! I know a guy who knows a guy who owns a BMW barkers....

It will cost a few more quid once i recon the bits going on. But its a cheap cheap fix + man hours.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:59 am

jamesbond wrote:would this be £1k plus parts? or would parts be included ?
I will let you know more once mine is done.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:11 am

OK

look forward to your conversion report .. keep us posted

Z4 35is 2014

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:43 am

Its going to be a winter project. So it will be a while.

RichardH1962

Post by RichardH1962 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:04 am

I answer to James Bond, yep I left the angle sensor in, the only leads I pulled were the leads connected to the motor (2 of them), good luck Machine Monkey, it's a straight forward conversion, you will need to cut the dashboard though to get the column out, although you cant see it once the trim goes back on.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks Richard you may be getting a PM or 2!!

It seems straight forward enough. I had missed the bit about the purple tag! I was going to just settle for 3 turns and better feel. Where is this tag so i can try and find one at the beakers.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:32 am

Hummm stranded rack 3 turns £30 or purple tag one for £75!!!

Would 1/2 a turn lock to lock make that much difference??? Opinions please forum?