Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sticky steering problem. Time to sort it! Help and advice.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Phil-E30

Sticky steering problem. Time to sort it! Help and advice.

Post by Phil-E30 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi guys, so I have spent the last week or so reading through various sticky steering threads on this forum and others. After a thoroughly enjoyable, roof down drive at the weekend was tarnished by the awful steering, it is time to address the issue properly.

In my reading I have seen a vast number of possible causes and solutions. What I was hoping was that some of you guys could list your experiences and fixes on here, so that we compile a recent list of this issue. So far I have ditched my run flat tyres and greased the UJs in the engine bay, neither of which have solved my problem.

A lot of people mention hot air blowing in to the foot wells as something that brings about the symptoms, this doesn't happen with me. However, the issue is most definitely related to heat and prolonged use. The most obvious cause of the issue with my car is being driven for any decent period of time, an hour plus of driving will bring about the symptoms. It's the classic notchy steering, seemingly unwilling to move back in to place or out of a straight line without persuasion, persuasion it shouldn't need.

So, if you would share your experience, symptoms, fix (if applicable) and rough cost would be awesome guys. Thought this could prove a useful resource and maybe worth keeping pinned somewhere?

:thumbsup:
"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologise."
Muhammad Ali

Gerry

Re: Sticky steering problem. Time to sort it! Help and advic

Post by Gerry » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Some heavy reading , this may help you out http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/Sea ... ids=898770
2.5 Maldives Blue, tottaly original , no mods,

nick&sandra

Post by nick&sandra » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Last edited by nick&sandra on Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Greasing the UJ worked for me.... :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Adamski wrote:Greasing the UJ worked for me.... :thumbsup:
+1^^^^^

Roadster1

Post by Roadster1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Are u sure its not the control bushes mine were fecked I thought it was sticky steering the car is transformed try rocking your front wheels back and forward there should be bearly any movement mine felt like you could pull the wheel off and it had passed a mot 3 months before with barely any mileage done after that I reckon its why it had a few owners in such quick succession , need to replace run flats but other than that it feels 100% bettter I could not drive with 1 hand on the wheel to change a cd it was so unpredictable , good luck if it is these they are 60 quid plus fitting , cheaper than a steering fix !
Cheers rog

Roadster1

Post by Roadster1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Are u sure its not the control bushes mine were fecked I thought it was sticky steering the car is transformed try rocking your front wheels back and forward there should be bearly any movement mine felt like you could pull the wheel off and it had passed a mot 3 months before with barely any mileage done after that I reckon its why it had a few owners in such quick succession , need to replace run flats but other than that it feels 100% bettter I could not drive with 1 hand on the wheel to change a cd it was so unpredictable , good luck if it is these they are 60 quid plus fitting , cheaper than a steering fix !
Cheers rog

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:18 pm

I am doing mine and my ARB on Friday for this reason. My ARB bushes are oval!!

Fingers crossed it gets it sorted!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Phil-E30

Post by Phil-E30 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Cheers for the responses guys, some interesting stuff.

Greasing the UJs has unfortunately not sorted the issue for me, I really hoped it would! I have also changed the wheels and now have non RFTs and although they are infinitely better than the old RFTs, it hasn't sorted my sticky steering.

I will definitely look in to the control bushes, hadn't thought of that.

As for the Servo Control motor unit, I am assuming this can be bought as a separate part from the whole steering rack? If so, how big a job is it to change it and what sort of money is involved?

Appreciate all the help chaps! :thumbsup:
Muhammad Ali

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 pm

I will let you know how I get on Friday. My steering has similar symptoms. I have had an old car with hydraulic power steering and had a similar problem. Turned out o be a rotten sub frame so fingers crossed.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Phil-E30, I think you need the whole steering rack if the issue persists.... Stuart Truman and Markeg both had the column replaced on their Alpinas, which have the same rack

EDIT - worth adding that jaxz4 had a part of his steering column replaced by an indy for c.£300 IIRC.... problem solved
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Phil-E30

Post by Phil-E30 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 pm

Think the same to be honest Adamski. The only confusion is, I see some people say new steering column and others saying steering rack. Which is it? Or both?!
Muhammad Ali

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 pm

The steering column is a single part from BMW. A decent technician could probably separate the parts if you could prove what was wrong with yours.

There are three schools of thought:

1) Steering column UJ's. Some have gained temporary relief by lubricating these. Genuine good luck on this being your problem as it's easily done yourself and cheap

2) Inner bearings in the column. Means dismantling the column with the associated labour charges etc and it's going to be investigative work, no guarantee of a fix

3) Steering Column electronics overheating. Seems to be the favourite. The problem is heat related in almost all instances and the replacement columns have a reworked electronics unit.

I'd be interested to hear if replacing bushes etc helps.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Phil-E30

Post by Phil-E30 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:34 pm

Number 3 seems to be the one that jumps out a me Stuart. Heat definitely plays a part in my case as the symptoms only arise once the car has been driven for an hour or more. No sign whatsoever of it on short journeys.
Muhammad Ali

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:44 am

my issue with "3" is, can heat expand electronics ? what effect has heat on electronics ? It is an issue with heat. With my zed around 21 degrees centigrade which we do not have to often up here .I feel its mechanical, heat making something bigger, making it bind,,,,,the truth is no one knows what causes it . If the bmw techs know they are keeping it to themselves . bcworkz what do you think ? . Bmw have made a report blaming the worm gear http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 42020P.pdf .
2.5 Maldives Blue, tottaly original , no mods,