Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nice weather - roof problem :-/

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DanWoods

Post by DanWoods » Thu May 02, 2013 12:48 am

Hi guys,

having a pain in the arse with the roof lately... Flashing red led when its all the way down.. If i leave finger pressed on the button the motor is still running.. I did check on here and seen someone say it was the sensor between the headrests at the back.. Found it with some blind poking around and gave it a wipe.. Tried again and failed.. Looked at the front edge of the roof.. Long plastic strip going along the middle and theres a crack in it :-( im guessing this might have something to do with it.

The roof folds all the way down.. Just the motor carries on and the light stays flashing in a nutshell!

If any one has had any problems like this and no any easy fix then please let me no! otherwise its off to BMW! :-/

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Nice weather - roof problem :-/

Post by andysat » Sat May 04, 2013 8:16 am

Any news?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

DanWoods

Post by DanWoods » Sat May 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Will find out the 16th.. Booked in with BMW in birmingham so will hopefully find out whats the problem.. So glad i took out warranty!!

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Sat May 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Hope they get it sorted quickly, still plenty of sun to come so don't worry :thumbsup:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

DanWoods

Post by DanWoods » Sun May 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Oh i can still have the roof down i just dont drive above 70mph.. But its just annoying seeing the flashing all the time.. Wonder what courtesy car they will give me :-P

charlie8

Post by charlie8 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi

What was the outcome, I have this on mine when fully down, just an annoying led in my subliminal, does not affect anything else though
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear

C58

Post by C58 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:17 pm

Ive also got this issue. When I purchased the car I (luckily) cycled the roof a few times and noticed that the roof motor was buggered. I agreed to purchase the on the proviso that the motor was fixed, anyways long story short the motor was fixed but I get the red flashing light. as it doesnt affect anything ive been pretty lax about sorting it. I get the full roof cycle and the light stops flashing, drive it about a minute and the light starts flashing again. Ive looked into it and its essentially the roof not "locking" closed, whether its a misalignment of the roof or simply a switch not working theres quite a few different reasons why it can happen, its annoying but so far not the end of the world

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:53 pm

C58 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:17 pm Ive also got this issue. When I purchased the car I (luckily) cycled the roof a few times and noticed that the roof motor was buggered. I agreed to purchase the on the proviso that the motor was fixed, anyways long story short the motor was fixed but I get the red flashing light. as it doesnt affect anything ive been pretty lax about sorting it. I get the full roof cycle and the light stops flashing, drive it about a minute and the light starts flashing again. Ive looked into it and its essentially the roof not "locking" closed, whether its a misalignment of the roof or simply a switch not working theres quite a few different reasons why it can happen, its annoying but so far not the end of the world
I believe your problem may be the hydrolic pump on top of the motor is past it's best. Another member on here had that problem (as do I ) he took the plunge and bought a new hydrolic pump and that solved it. I priced it from BMW, if I remember right it was just under £500.😳
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:19 pm

C58 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:17 pm Ive also got this issue. When I purchased the car I (luckily) cycled the roof a few times and noticed that the roof motor was buggered. I agreed to purchase the on the proviso that the motor was fixed, anyways long story short the motor was fixed but I get the red flashing light. as it doesnt affect anything ive been pretty lax about sorting it. I get the full roof cycle and the light stops flashing, drive it about a minute and the light starts flashing again. Ive looked into it and its essentially the roof not "locking" closed, whether its a misalignment of the roof or simply a switch not working theres quite a few different reasons why it can happen, its annoying but so far not the end of the world
Roof isn't completing it's cycle, will be nothing to do with the pump. One of the hall sensors will be either faulty or more likely out of alignment.

Mike

C58

Post by C58 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:30 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Roof isn't completing it's cycle, will be nothing to do with the pump. One of the hall sensors will be either faulty or more likely out of alignment.

Mike

Yep im of the opinion of this as well. The pump is fine as it completes the cycle and all the lights go out, drive a bit and it starts flashing, if press the button again it does the windows down and roof back noises, light goes off, drive away and same again. I think its the alignment as this issue only started when the motor was replaced and roof taken out. If anyone has a link to how to possibly realign feel free to put it below if poss :thumbsup: