Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SRS Light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

SRS Light

Post by Shipkiller » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:41 pm

My SRS light came on several months ago and I traced the problem down to either the Passenger Seat Sensor Pad or the A113 control box that the PSSP connects to.

I scheduled my car for the Dealers next Tuesday so they can tell me specifically what the problem is.
I stopped at the parts department to inquire just how much a new PSSP really is. I was FLOORED.. $2200.00

You can't just get the sensor pad. You have to replace the complete bottom section of the seat because the sensor pad is integrated with the foam.

During my search for answers for this problem, I find that this is common fault on BMW's and if you KNEEL on the seat, you can (50/50 chance) damage your sensor pad...

For warned is for armed..............
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

JBZ4

Re: SRS Light

Post by JBZ4 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:13 am

Thats what triggered my light (the knee).

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:32 am

Wont be kneeling on my seats then! Thanks for the tip :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Cunning Linguist

Post by Cunning Linguist » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:50 pm

Hey, I hear your pain. The seat pad sensor is very thin, and any pressure in a specific point may cause a small tear in the electronics of the pad which will cause faulty voltages to be reported to the main airbag module.

When I swapped my seats ('04 standard non-sport to 07' M sport seats) the seat pad sensors were not compatible between the seats and had the SRS light on for a while.

I did manage to separate the 'new M' seat's sensor from the foam (it does come off ... carefully, they used a ton of glue) and have it separately - I can take a picture to show you what it looks like as I had to take my 04' seats pad sensor and transplant it into the new seat.

The one I took out is in fairly good condition - if you think it would help your cause let me know. If your car is under warranty still then by all means go through the dealer (I wasn't sure from your description).

And if you did need that new part (seat bottom), you could probably check out Tischer as they give 20% off all parts...

:thumbsup:
2004 Z4 TiAG on Black | Swapped M-Sport Seats | '05 Clears | yada yada yada..

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Took off work today and just got back from the dealers.

I scheduled an appointment for them to "diagnose and report" only..

There was no problem with the 'Passenger Seat Sensor" (PSS) on the car. Most of the errors were "SRS Undervolt", meaning the battery is getting week or some corrosion on a connector somewhere in the system. I have the original battery in the car, so that's the likely problem. Here is what was printed out in my service invoice:

"No faults currently present. Cleared SRS faults undervoltage. Interrogated fault memory. No MRS faults currently present. SIM PC 93E7 undervoltage fault not present. Performed test plan-results do not justify replacement of OC3 MAT. Cleared fault memory and tested multiple times. OK"

I had already come to the conclusion that I did not have a PSS fault like I thought. Since I posted last on this topic, I found up on the 'E39 Forum', that there is a way to cheat the 'Safety and Information Module' about the PSS with a diode and two 100ohm resisters.

I tried this method but it did not effect any indications.

So, the dealer cleared the SRS light on the instrument cluster (Cost $121.00). This also tells me that my AutoEnginutiy Software will NOT clear the SRS airbag light the way it is supposed to. Now I have to email Jay at AutoEnginutiy to discuss this so he can make the product better....

I get alot of my parts from Tischer all time.... :thumbsup:
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)