Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight auto levelling

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Dukeman

Headlight auto levelling

Post by Dukeman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Just got the car back from yet more cost related to the SMG gearbox and hoping for some trouble and cost free motoring. Noticed that the nearside headlamp aim is almost right in front of the car. Usually when you turn the lights on they take a second to light up and seem to rise up to there standard position.

What do you reckon the problem could be? I imagine/ hope it is only the adjuster motor but not sure if there is anything else to check first such as a fuse or the connection. Is there anything else to fault check before replacing the motor.

Advice gratefully received.

Wildfire

Re: Headlight auto levelling

Post by Wildfire » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:54 pm

Do you have Xenons?
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Dukeman wrote:Just got the car back from yet more cost related to the SMG gearbox and hoping for some trouble and cost free motoring. Noticed that the nearside headlamp aim is almost right in front of the car. Usually when you turn the lights on they take a second to light up and seem to rise up to there standard position.

What do you reckon the problem could be? I imagine/ hope it is only the adjuster motor but not sure if there is anything else to check first such as a fuse or the connection. Is there anything else to fault check before replacing the motor.

Advice gratefully received.
If its the adjuster motor for halogen I have one, drop me a PM if interested

dbaz193672

Post by dbaz193672 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:26 am

This has just happens to me last night, my driver side goes up and levels as normal my passenger side points straight down its like the cars got a wonky eye lol I guess there is some form of control bar that moves the light up and down so going to havd a look today at some point, if anyone has any pointers?

dbaz193672

Post by dbaz193672 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:27 am

Forgot mine aren't xenons

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:03 am

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:21 am

What you're describing is the stepper motor that cycles both xenon and halogen lights from parked position back to operating position. Simply speaking the older systems motor can only find the correct position by cycling. The stepper motor is inside the headlight and connects to the lower part of the light internals and simply moves it back and forth, translating into up /down on the beam.

If just one light is not moving then I'd look for either the motor ball joint connection has become dislodged, loom loose or motor broken. (If both fail which I know is not the case for you and xenons then look to the self levelling sensors on the suspension.)

Take the back off the light and have a tinker, but keep fingers out with the xenons on....

If you're not in a hurry I'll let you have a motor for £10. I've got a box full of spares.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Dukeman

Post by Dukeman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure the lights are xenons. I will check behind the light first as suggested and then I will hopefully find the problem. As mentioned only the left light fails to 'step' so hopefully it is not the suspension and either the motor or plastic ball joint device.

Thanks for the offers of a spare. If required I shall be in touch.

Cheers.