Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Radio not recognising AUX

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Radio not recognising AUX

Post by sk93 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:44 pm

where abouts are you in thee world?
:zzzz:

benross

Post by benross » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:15 am

Down in Sunny Devon, we call it banjo country!

I'm pretty sure I did a good job on the lead, so can't see why it isn't working.
"I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination - Jimmy Dean"

benross

Post by benross » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:19 am

Quick thought, do I need to remove the cd changer plug that's next to the aux plug I'm plugging in? Would that stop it showing an Aux on the modes?
"I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination - Jimmy Dean"

benross

Post by benross » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:54 am

Heres a pic of the modded cable, if you could have a butchers and tell me if theres anything obviously wrong.

Oh, and Lidl have a great little soldering iron set for £6.99 at the mo! thought it would be crap but its pretty good.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:32 am

that looks bob on to me...
Definately going in the right pin holes too yeah?

very odd..

I may look to craft something up here, check it works, and fire it along to you

benross

Post by benross » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:32 am

There would be beer and praise in it for you!

benross

Post by benross » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:13 pm

just in case this helps, heres a few snaps of the connections I'm using. In all pics, the hole/empty connection is where I'm plugging the modded lead into.

benross

Post by benross » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:20 pm

SOLVED!

I went back to the start and checked my wiring, turns out I hadn't wired it correctly when I modded the wire.

I had wired the capacitors and resistor between the aux left and the aux ground. Not the aux left and right which it should have been. Wired it up and bingo! Aux was there!

Thanks for all the help, the guide was spot on, although I think ordering the lead off eBay and modding it was easier (when done correctly!) than starting from scratch.

Thanks again,

Going to listen to some tunes in my car!

Cheers

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm

benross wrote:SOLVED!

I went back to the start and checked my wiring, turns out I hadn't wired it correctly when I modded the wire.

I had wired the capacitors and resistor between the aux left and the aux ground. Not the aux left and right which it should have been. Wired it up and bingo! Aux was there!

Thanks for all the help, the guide was spot on, although I think ordering the lead off eBay and modding it was easier (when done correctly!) than starting from scratch.

Thanks again,

Cheers
huzzah!

I have just finished tearing mine out of the car however, to check I was right lol.
Best go put it back in now then :P

benross

Post by benross » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:08 pm

sk93 wrote:
benross wrote:SOLVED!

Thanks again,

Cheers
huzzah!

I have just finished tearing mine out of the car however, to check I was right lol.
Best go put it back in now then :P

Thanks for all the help, sorry you've had to mess with the car again! I did come straight in and post once I'd seen the aux appear!

It confuses me as to why its made like that, in most cars it either has an aux setting on the modes or it doesn't. How soldering in a few components can activate a hidden mode is beyond me!

NedasDo

Post by NedasDo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:51 pm

Hello everyone,

Ive read this discution and tried to make my own aux cable. I Took 3.5 from both sides, cut one side and made like it was said - wired the capacitors and resistor between the aux left and the right, kept the ground alone. Then i connected those three wires to the pins 3, 4, & 10 - 3 and 4 was right and left, 10 was ground. And there was no aux mode still.

Im adding pictures what Ive managed to do, to ask you guys, is there something Ive done wrong?

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:35 pm

check with a multimeter the resistance across the left and right channels, ensuring it's around 300k Ohms.
Ground is unimportant at this point, as it's actually just the resistance between left and right that will trigger AUX appearing.

If it doesn't show resistence, try running some spare wire from the stereo to the resistor/cap bridge, then back to the stereo (effectively cutting out your cabling entirely) and check that works.

if that doesn't work, you've likely got a defective cap / resistor.. time to check / replace them individually.
if that does work, then you've got a break/bad join in your cabling.

let me know :)

Lewy

Post by Lewy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:37 am

Hi don't know if anyone will see this as its looks like a very old thread but I've tried this and am not having any luck. What's confused me is the comment about metering between the left and right to check the resistance. Surely the caps prevent any resistance showing when metered?! I am not getting a reading although all the components are reading fine individualy. I wouldn't expect a resistance reading with the caps there blocking any dc.
Could someone please explain this?

:(

Lewy

Post by Lewy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Further to my last post. I had a look online as I couldn't understand how a dc resistance reading could be obtained between left and right channels with a cap either side. I found the OEM wiring diagram for e85 aux install and the caps are in series, one for left Chanel one for right with the resister across left and right channels closest to the head unit, before the caps. This makes sense as the caps are wired as coupling/decoupling caps and the resistance can be 'seen' by the head unit. In short, it worked in mine where the other way of wiring didn't. If anyone else is having problems getting aux to show, get in touch and I can send the OEM install sheet. I may try and post it under OEM aux install circuit diagram or something like that.

craigbeal

Post by craigbeal » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:13 am

C1FB9839-EA4D-4D41-9399-3264AFCB52E7.jpeg
C1FB9839-EA4D-4D41-9399-3264AFCB52E7.jpeg (263.76 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Today’s mission....