Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

headlight washer jet replacement

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:06 pm

My drivers side headlight washer is leaking, what's the easiest way to replace it?

Can it be done through the inspection hole in the wheel arch or it it a bumper off job?

Left hand side was done under warranty but that has now run out.

Daz
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

maxman

Re: headlight washer jet replacement

Post by maxman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Bumper off which will take about 20 mins.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks.
Was trying to get a shortcut but probably better in the long run!

Next thing is to give my first born to bmw in exchange for the new washer nozzle.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:40 pm

Ordered new washer nozzle jet thingy from BMW, £64 inc VAT :o

Drivers side
Part number 61 67 7 057 452

Passenger side (for info)
Part number 61 67 7 057 451

I saw that it's possible to do this without taking the bumper off, so might be stubborn and give it a go.
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&p=522193

Probably end up taking the bumper and regret the whole thing!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:13 pm

At £64 for the part I'd have had done my best to avoid buying a new one. They often reseal just by pulling them in and out a few times, or the leak is actually in the pipe connection.

Since you can take a bumper off in <10 mins and refit in about the same time I'd avoid the knuckle grazing faff and do it the bumper off route.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:38 pm

I agree with not trying to spend £64, but the time taking the bumper off, then back on again and finding resealing the nozzle doesn't work. I'd rather just replace it and walk away. I'm not rich but time is more precious (i.e. I don't have much spare time)!

I've checked the pipe and it seems fine. There is washer fluid on the unit and its constantly dripping, so almost sure it's that.

How do you raise the nozzle to take the cover off? Do you just keep on washing the screen and get someone to grab it when is raises or can you gently pry it up?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:08 pm

dhobbs wrote:I agree with not trying to spend £64, but the time taking the bumper off, then back on again and finding resealing the nozzle doesn't work. I'd rather just replace it and walk away. I'm not rich but time is more precious (i.e. I don't have much spare time)!

I've checked the pipe and it seems fine. There is washer fluid on the unit and its constantly dripping, so almost sure it's that.

How do you raise the nozzle to take the cover off? Do you just keep on washing the screen and get someone to grab it when is raises or can you gently pry it up?
You can pry it up with fingernails and the gently lift it right up. The cover unclips from one side. Your other method works but somebody gets wet...

The way to reseat the washer is to pull it in and out a few times and it generally clears any dirt and reseats it. Failing that I too would fit a new one and not take the bumper off without having a spare to hand.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Just given the reseat a try. Will see if there is a puddle tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the suggestion.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:38 pm

dhobbs wrote:Just given the reseat a try. Will see if there is a puddle tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the suggestion.
(Deleted the duplicate post)

Costs noting to try this and reassures if it leaks you're not wasting money on swapping it out :)

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Update:
The reseating option didn't work so I had to stump out for a new nozzle.

You can in fact replace the unit in about 5 mins without taking the bumper off.

Turn the front wheel out, this allows you to take the inspection cover off.
Remove the washer cover (I prised the diamond platic bit off the jet rather than the cover itself, far easier and less likely to damage the cover)
Working from the front of the car, gently apply pressure to the nozzle jets (through the small bumper hole) whilst using your other hand to locate the two wing clips through the inspection hatch. When each clip is lifted, the pressure applied will keep it open until the second one is done.
The unit should then slide down and out.

Remember, there are two sets of locating wings (one with the clips). If these are not located properly, then the washer cover will not fit properly (this is from experience :roll: )

Didn't take photos, sorry!

trick4

Post by trick4 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Sorry to resurrect, but was using this today to change my left washer jet. Super easy to do without taking the bumper or wheel off, was a 2 minute job to reach through the fog light access panel (turning the wheel inwards on the side you want to access) and unclipping the old one then clipping in the new one.
3.0si Sport Roadster | Sapphire Black

Eeza

Post by Eeza » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:57 pm

Well, I may as well reuse this thread, both of my jets jettisoned into the sky along with the covers so it looks like I am staring at something approaching £200 to replace them both. The BMW OE parts from Sunderland BMW are £82 each and then you need the bumper cover so the question is are there any non-OE items that could replace these?

I don't have an issue replacing non-critical parts with cheaper stuff for this type of application. Anyone been down this road or is it BMW all the way :)

Cheers Eric
3.0 SI in a lovely Black but easily marked Colour

Trav

Post by Trav » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:40 pm

This may be a daft question. Why can't you just replace the o-rings. Does the plastic wear? A long while back one of mine hadn't worked. It turned out to be a kinked plastic hose on the back of the jet. But I remember pulling the jets out to check for blockages. Why not pull them out of the holder tube and replace the o-ring seals. I'm sure they come out. Might be wrong as it was a while ago. Or do they leak without activation?
Z4MR A.W.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:45 pm

You should be able to find them secondhand. The caps can be ordered in the correct colour from eBay. If you have just lost the grey triangle they part Volvo use the same part for a lot less money
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:20 pm

The passenger side one on my current Z4 was leaking when I bought it, but luckily I managed to buy a used pair on the forum and sold the one I didn't need.

But the replacement leaked until Ross at RBM replaced one of the rubber "O" rings. I bought an OE cover from Sopers of Lincoln for about £15.

No problems with them since then because I removed Fuse 40 so they won't go missing!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black