Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

interior leak, passenger door area.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

interior leak, passenger door area.

Post by ben g » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Had this problem a while now. Noticed the car smelling funky after rain, so did some investigative work and couldn't find the leak.

Drive home today after leaving the car at work in torrential rain and upon pulling onto my drive, I looked over to see a dark patch on the door seal and water dripping into the cabin.

Has anyone else had the same issue? If so, any ideas how to cure it? This has been going on for a couple of years, so you can imagine how annoyed I am by it :lol:

Here's a couple of pic's to show exactly where it's dripping onto:

Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

The Badger

Re: interior leak, passenger door area.

Post by The Badger » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Hiya ! yep had the very same problem the guys at my local BMW garage (not the main dealers) replaced the door membrane !

Membrane was about £30 and I think the labour was about £45/£50 sounds expensive but well worth every penny !
Because like you I was at the end of my tether !

Now its bone dry !!

Good luck

The Badger
x

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Cheers Badger. Seems a few people have had the same issue.

I'm going to replace both door membranes first and see if that cures it. Do you have a part number?

Whats the reason for the leak then? Does water drain through the door? I thought it'd be a sealed unit.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

The Badger

Post by The Badger » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:42 pm

sorry I don't have a part number and please do not mix me up with somebody who knows anything about cars !!!!!!!!!! I just had the same problem as you however the guys at the garage told me that what happens is the rain runs down inside the door from the window and then the membrane stops the water entering the cabin as the car gets older the membrane breaks down or if it has had any repairs where the door card has to come off the membrane gets damaged easily (its made of weird stuff like carpet underlay) mine stopped straight away and has been bone dry ever since apart from last week when I left the window open !!!!! hope this helps - I'm going know before I sound like someone who knows what they are doing ha ha ha !!!!!! good luck

The Badger
x

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:56 pm

:lol: cheers mate, honestly that's a great help! Managed to find the part numbers so i'll get those ordered and update this thread if it stops the leak and smell! :thumbsup:

dans6490

Post by dans6490 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Had the exact same problem recently. I removed the door card and the membrane had come away from the sealant, mine was intact so I just re-attached it. After searching on here, I also added some extra holes in the rubber seal (where you have highlighted in red) as it seems to leak water at the lowest part of the rubber, where, bizarrely there's no hole. Must admit, it felt a bit of a bodge job but someone else had done it (cant remember who) and I wanted it fixed.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Managed to get the door panel off. Only 4 bolts so an easy job. You can see the membrane here. It's foam and stuck down with butyl Tape? Not sure that's what it's called but someone else said it was that.

Checked it was stuck down properly and it wasn't in some area's. Mainly the area where the leak is.

Got the missus to spray the hose around the edge of the door and window and sure enough, when she got to the wing mirror area, water started to come through. There was quite a lot tbh.

Hoping a new membrane and some of that butyl will sort it. Not sure I could get away with re-using the current membrane. It seems to be pretty weak and may tear.

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:21 pm

Had exactly the same issue. resealed membrane using bathroom sealant,
Let it dry for 48hrs before using window to ensure no residue is spread around,
Not had a drop inside in last 2 months,it appears to have really done the trick, :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

ChrisZ4

Post by ChrisZ4 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:05 pm

I've got this exact problem :( . passenger side carpet is sodden. Couple of questions.
Do BMW sell the butyl tape and is there a guide on where to put it? The membrane seems intact but is it possible to remove it without damage to refit?
If I renew the membrane do I need to disconnect the airbag?
Am I going to have to take the carpet and seat out to dry it out? If you put your hand under the carpet its like a wet sponge.
Gutted :(

UPDATE: I've lifted the carpet by the door and stuffed 4 socks full of silica under the carpet. I've also taped a plastic sheet to the membrane and tucked it under the door so if it rains anymore it won't flow in. I reckon it'll take days to dry out but will see how it goes. If anyone has any tips for my questions above I'd be very grateful.
Thanks
Chris

ChrisZ4

Post by ChrisZ4 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Update No.2. I've removed the drivers seat. Lifted the carpet and it's a complete swamp under there. I''ve wet vac'd it but it doesn't seem to have removed much so now I've propped the carpet up and set a fan dryer on it. Nightmare. Not a good experience with this car so far....

ChrisZ4

Post by ChrisZ4 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Ps what happens if I try to drive the car without the passenger side seat in? I guess I'll get an airbag light?

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:45 pm

ChrisZ4 wrote:Ps what happens if I try to drive the car without the passenger side seat in? I guess I'll get an airbag light?
Correct don't do it
70 plate Z4 M40i - Alphine White, Magma Red trim plus all the toys and an OAP behind the wheel :D
Gone 62 Z4 35is sDrive Auto in white with 169K miles

ChrisZ4

Post by ChrisZ4 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:30 pm

Ta. Significantly dryer now anyway. I've put it back together and am taking it to the dealer I bought it from who've agreed to have a look under warranty

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:47 pm

If you, or anyone else, needs butyl tape it's available through Amazon, alternatively phoning around some parts departments should find some without problems - for some reason, Volvo parts depts always used to have stock of it

Someone mentioned bathroom sealant - not really a good idea, it'll work for a while as an emergency repair but it doesn't remain flexible/sticky enough over time. Butyl remains flexible and very sticky for years - you can even slice through the middle of it (lengthways) to peel back the membrane and then push it back together and it will stick to itself like sh1t to a blanket
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:47 pm

My airbag light was already on so wasn't an issue for me to drive without the seat in. It felt pretty cool driving around in a 1 seater and far more practical for my carpet material collecting :lol:

Basically, my carpet was so wet that it took about 6 hours of drying it with a good quality hairdryer. Been fine since though.

Butyl Tape is on ebay for about a tenner. You get loads so one roll is enough. If you can pull the membrane away from the door without damaging it, it should be ok to re-use. I personally bought new ones though just for peace of mind.